Joe de Franco's Punching power and speed program...

eljamaiquino

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was browsing through his website and saw this in the archives. Perhaps someone will find it interesting...

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_03-09-05.htm

Q: Dear Joe,
Assuming technique is solid, what strength/flexibility exercises would you recommend to a fighter who wants to throw straight punches faster, throw hook punches faster, throw round kicks faster and have quicker shots for takedowns. (You can substitute faster with harder if you want.) You can do just one if you don't have time. Maybe top 10 exercises for these with rep/rest schemes or whatever.

Also, I think the most valuable meals of the day are pre, during and post workout. What do you use on your athletes for these meals?

John

A: John,
You always seem to come up with some very specific/in-depth questions. I

"After your heavy pressing movement, always rest 10 seconds before going into your punching drills. 10 seconds is just enough time to recover slightly from the heavy lifting, but it

anvar said:
"After your heavy pressing movement, always rest 10 seconds before going into your punching drills. 10 seconds is just enough time to recover slightly from the heavy lifting, but it

anvar said:

peregrine said:
this is like supramaximal lifting. holding a weight heavier than you can lift like a lockout on bench then immediatelly rack the wieghts and then dropping the weights. this allows you to lift heavier than you normally would.

by punching in this state you will train your neural system to hit harder in the normal state.

How does a person do this? So you lockout a bench higher than your normal, then after however many seconds you but the bar back on the rack, remove the extra weights, and your body will be able to do more? This is something I must look into. How does this work? Mental, psysical?

peregrine said:
this is like supramaximal lifting. holding a weight heavier than you can lift like a lockout on bench then immediatelly rack the wieghts and then dropping the weights. this allows you to lift heavier than you normally would.

by punching in this state you will train your neural system to hit harder in the normal state.

Now that does sound Siff-like.

morganfreeman said:
I think that DeFranco is my new favorite strength trainer

i caught a glimpse of him on fit tv training a football player.

Urban said:
Ross enamait says the same thing. this tends to support a method called complex training to improve explosiveness (superseting a heavy set with a similar plyometric exercise). I would be willing to bet both authors (De Franco and Enamait) got this idea from Siff's "Supertraining." It aint smoke and lights, it's logic and research.

Why haven't you heard about this? it's very difficult to quantify explosiveness. In addition, complex training is very strenuous on the CNS. more than 3 weeks at a time may be asking for trouble.

should you jump after squatting heavy if you are looking to improve your vertical leap?

I think wrist/forearm strength is also critical. I love that he added the power snatch. I also agree with the use of the box squat. You can really explode off the box.

I hope my wife lets me do some exploding box squats tonight with her power snatch.

morganfreeman said:
I think that DeFranco is my new favorite strength trainer

Yeah, DeFranco is the fucking real deal! I take most of what he says to heart because he just gets results. Pro and college athletes are working with this guy for good reason.

carped33z said:
should you jump after squatting heavy if you are looking to improve your vertical leap?

Yes, from what research I've gathered.

carped33z said:

yeh thats a well known complex drill just like clap pushups after benchpress, i cant belive some people havn't heard of this. Another good one is one armed pushups then dumbell shotput.

Complex training can also be done with isometrics: http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym25.htm

Interesting. I always thought of complex's as glorified circuit training.

complexes ARE glorified circuit training. Complex training (something totally different) refers to the supersetting of heavy movments and similar plyometric movments.

Foulsmeller said:
I think wrist/forearm strength is also critical. I love that he added the power snatch. I also agree with the use of the box squat. You can really explode off the box.

I hope my wife lets me do some exploding box squats tonight with her power snatch.

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back