jds "lucky" punch

He must be a very lucky guy…

dnkldl1.jpg

junior-dos-santos_fabricio-werdum.gif

qyxnoo_original.gif

Wow, some terrible comparisons in this thread.

The chances of a fighter hitting another one in the head is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than hitting a golf hole or guessing the lottery numbers, are you guys insane?

You guys should forget about "luck" because such a fucking thing does not even exist. Open your mind, think about context, think about probability, just don't bring this "luck" crap.

Examples not related with fighting are completely irrelevant.

you're right, but i believe those points were just to illustrate the fallacy of the "he meant to punch him so it's not lucky" concept.

The chances of a fighter hitting another one in the head is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than hitting a golf hole or guessing the lottery numbers, are you guys insane?

You guys should forget about "luck" because such a fucking thing does not even exist. Open your mind, think about context, think about probability, just don't bring this "luck" crap.

I agree with this. Most of the comments are not fighting related because to the people presenting these examples, this isn't about fighting. It's about being "right" & the egotistical belief that if they argue long & hard enough about something, they win. & they want to win at all costs....even if it means using examples that are in no way realistically relative to the actual topic. So, sometimes you have to engage them on that level in order to bring them back to the relevant issues on the topic being discussed. Or just remove yourself from the discussion...like I envision myself doing shortly...lol

There's a degree of luck to every strike. There's even luck in chess. You throw a strike based on your perception of your opponent's movements. Whether your perception is correct has a high degree of variance- luck. Whether your strike is thrown exactly as you intended is also subject to luck. Whether your strike just wobbles a guy or finishes him is also luck.

Was it a punch that crosses that imaginary line into being what we call a "lucky" punch? It was pretty close, I say yes. I also think he'll get "lucky" again tonight.

This is the closest I've seen to a correct answer so far. There's a degree of luck and skill in every physical endeavor; it's just a matter of how much to attribute to either variable.

As the TS i fully agree with this. i started.the thread to point out that for me the word luck shouldn't be used in fighting.*
I repeated it again in every post and these non-fighting comparisons are really irrelevant to the subject.

my conclusion: don't use the word luck. its about intentionally succeeding in your offence by neutralising the opponent defence and connect. skill vs skill. its not "luck" that lands your punch. its the error in defence by the opponent. if you fight a static head (my English lacks a better word) you land 100% of your punches. Because ur opponent moves and does everything not to get hit but to hit you. your 100% accurate from hitting static target. drops to a very low percentage. that's the landings percentage you see in fights. its not that you become unlucky. You throw the same punches but the defence blocks them. So jds can throw 50 punches and only one lands. that one has nothing to do with luck but with Cains defence[Edit]
*[Reply]
*[!!]

This is the closest I've seen to a correct answer so far. There's a degree of luck and skill in every physical endeavor; it's just a matter of how much to attribute to either variable.

you're right, it's just that overly sensitive ****-bites get their panties in a bunch because someone says their favorite fighter had a little bit of luck on their side. there's nothing wrong with that. it's a good thing. how much of it can be attributed to luck? probably not a lot, but there is some element of luck involved (if they're even aware of the definition).

you're right, it's just that overly sensitive ****-bites get their panties in a bunch because someone says their favorite fighter had a little bit of luck on their side. there's nothing wrong with that. it's a good thing. how much of it can be attributed to luck? probably not a lot, but there is some element of luck involved (if they're even awae of the definition).

The "luck" (really isn't luck) factor in my theory is the position, reaction, reflex etc...of the one receiving the punch. i attribute those factors as defence.

There's a degree of luck to every strike. There's even luck in chess. You throw a strike based on your perception of your opponent's movements. Whether your perception is correct has a high degree of variance- luck. Whether your strike is thrown exactly as you intended is also subject to luck. Whether your strike just wobbles a guy or finishes him is also luck.

Was it a punch that crosses that imaginary line into being what we call a "lucky" punch? It was pretty close, I say yes. I also think he'll get "lucky" again tonight.

I can agree with this, as they are both sensible & relative to the topic.

If you think in two fights he'll get lucky in two straight fights against the same opponent, then you don't have the correct definition of the term lucky.

What I'm saying is that I think it was sort of a lucky punch, but I also get the feeling that I'll be proven wrong tonight.

that's the most retarded logic.

did you aim punch at the head? then it wasn't lucky?

How about? Did you aim the golfball at the hole? Then the hole in one wasn't lucky....

More goes into a punch than just aiming and swinging, the success depends on how your opponents moves into it and many other things. That's why fighters throw sometimes HUNDREDS of punches each fight and all of them are aiming to do serious damage but most don't.

So what's the difference between all the punches that Cung Le MISSED trying to do that same counter and the one that he landed?

Maybe that's the even better argument against the logic: cung le threw that same punch multiple times. It only landed the one time... so what was the difference?

I'm thinking the answer is that the opponent happened to move into perfectly this time instead of moving his head the other way like last time or staying out of reach like last time when Cung thought he was coming in. That difference IS the luck factor

There is certainly a luck factor. However, timing and instinct also factor into a fighter's ability to land a punch. I wouldn't call what JDS did to Cain luck, but I also would be very surprised if it happened again.

If JDS finishes him fast again, will it be "controversial" again, at least on Sherdog?

I wouldn't be suprised.

If JDS finishes him fast again, will it be "controversial" again, at least on Sherdog?

I wouldn't be suprised.

Lol. Depends on the how it will end.. all aside, i think tonight well see an awesome fight.
im a huge jds fan, very happy with the first fight.

but Cain is a warrior and i want to see more from him. they are definitely more equally matched than the first bout showed.

for me its still the HW dreammatch we all saw coming years ago (when ufc hw was starting to grow)

Back