Javier Mendez on the greatest threats to Khabib at 155: "Number one contender for me is still Conor"

He wants that 10% of whatever the trainers get.

Conor got finished by Nate Diaz, came back and won the rematch
GSP got finished by Matt Serra, came back and won the rematch
Cruz got finished by Uriah Faber, came back and won both rematches
Bisping got finished by Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson, yet won both rematches

Need I go on?

All anecdotes

Anderson got finished by the Wideman, came back and broke his leg
BJ lost to Edgar, came back and threw away his whole legacy
Barao lost to Dillashaw, rematched and got his soul taken
DC lost to Jones, rematched and got KO'd for the first time in his career

They say he's never lost a rematch

source.gif

Lol her face looks like she has to deal with him practicing that stare in the mirror constantly

broken_foot.gif

When Conor isn't injured and he's light as a feather on the feet we'll see what happens to Khabib's Russian boxing skills.

Conor & Poirier are the top dogs to erase that 0, haters will say otherwise. Conor has the fire back. Hands up-Conor will get in there and get the win
tippy toe Conor?

After Khabib finishes Conor for a second time, Javier will still be promoting Conor as the one to beat Khabib because Javier knows how stupid MMA casuals are.

All anecdotes

Anderson got finished by the Wideman, came back and broke his leg
BJ lost to Edgar, came back and threw away his whole legacy
Barao lost to Dillashaw, rematched and got his soul taken
DC lost to Jones, rematched and got KO'd for the first time in his career

Cool. What's your point? Mine was that history shows us that there's a better chance of avenging a loss where you got finished than there is of avenging one where you lost a wide decision.

Yeah when I read that quote from Jav Mendez, I just thought "OK now he's really sold out. He probably by contract gets x% of the money that Khabib gets for a fight, so he just wants to max his cut". I thought Mendez wasn't like that, but ho hum, seems not.

Conor got finished by Nate Diaz, came back and won the rematch
GSP got finished by Matt Serra, came back and won the rematch
Cruz got finished by Uriah Faber, came back and won both rematches
Bisping got finished by Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson, yet won both rematches

Need I go on?

Yeah, because that's not how statistics work, kid. You gave 5 examples out of how many rematches?

It's kind of like that time-- not too long ago-- when you though coming in 2 pounds under weight meant you missed weight.

You're brand new, and not nearly as intelligent about MMA as you think. It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect. It's a cognative bias where one assumes mastery where there is none, and is confident in that false mastery.

Yeah, because that's not how statistics work, kid. You gave 5 examples out of how many rematches?

It's kind of like that time-- not too long ago-- when you though coming in 2 pounds under weight meant you missed weight.

You're brand new, and not nearly as intelligent about MMA as you think. It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect. It's a cognative bias where one assumes mastery where there is none, and is confident in that false mastery.

The original point was someone saying that because Al didn't get finished and Conor did, it means Al put on a better performance. I then pointed out that there's far more examples of guys getting finished and winning rematches than there are of guys getting dominated to a decision and winning them. I pointed out a few examples from my side, but you have failed to deliver on the opposite side.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...st-dangerous-opponents-for-lightweight-champ/

“Talking about four potential rivals for Khabib I can give my assessment from the [least] dangerous to the most dangerous,” Mendez said of Nurmagomedov (via MMA News). “Max Holloway [would] be the easiest for Khabib. Max has good boxing but it lacks the power to the lightweight division. Next on the list is Dustin Poirier. He’s got stamina and versatility. Tony Ferguson is my second choice. His elbows are very dangerous. And finally [the] number one contender for me is still Conor. His boxing is special, that’s his chance.”
Meh, Mendez is a boxing coach, that's something I'd expect him to say. At least he doesn't consider Ferguson to be the biggest threat. The biggest threats to Khabib are Gaethje and possibly Gillespie if he ascends the rankings ladder before Khabib retires.

The original point was someone saying that because Al didn't get finished and Conor did, it means Al put on a better performance. I then pointed out that there's far more examples of guys getting finished and winning rematches than there are of guys getting dominated to a decision and winning them. I pointed out a few examples from my side, but you have failed to deliver on the opposite side.

There are? How many fights and fighters have you looked at?
I hope more than those 4 that you mentioned....

Do you have an actual source for your claim and not just your feelings?

Says "Conor is still #1 threat"
Thinks "Please keep Ferguson away from Khabib...anybody but El Cucuy!"

Jarl

javier just wanting an easy money fight for khabib.

There are? How many fights and fighters have you looked at?
I hope more than those 4 that you mentioned....

Do you have an actual source for your claim and not just your feelings?

I just named a handful and could name plenty more, but it's your turn. Name me five examples of people losing a lopsided decision, then coming back to win a rematch.

it is a shame that we are not able to see Tony vs. Khabib.

Conor got his chance and he shit on canvas , no need for a second fight yet.

Conor is never going to handle the pressure Khabib brings, I don't see any striker giving Khabib issues. Only some super hybrid wrestler/grappler will give Khabib problems, I think Askren could get it done but his striking worries me. Khabib has sloppy striking but he is deceptive, agile and tenacious.

10% of a Conor fight is a lot more than any other opponent for Kebab.

Back