Javier Mendez on the greatest threats to Khabib at 155: "Number one contender for me is still Conor"

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...st-dangerous-opponents-for-lightweight-champ/

“Talking about four potential rivals for Khabib I can give my assessment from the [least] dangerous to the most dangerous,” Mendez said of Nurmagomedov (via MMA News). “Max Holloway [would] be the easiest for Khabib. Max has good boxing but it lacks the power to the lightweight division. Next on the list is Dustin Poirier. He’s got stamina and versatility. Tony Ferguson is my second choice. His elbows are very dangerous. And finally [the] number one contender for me is still Conor. His boxing is special, that’s his chance.”
Javier knows the truth. Conor bless.

Javier knows the truth. Conor bless.
The truth of course being that Conor is the fight that is worth the biggest payday, and coincidentally the easiest fight for Khabib.

Conor isn't a threat to Khabib, especially since Conor refuses to fight.

Max was 21, a brand new blue belt, and still training out of a garage in Hawaii. Stop acting like he beat current Max.
Max was on his sixth UFC fight compared to Conor's second, stop going on like he was a child in nappies.

Max was on his sixth UFC fight compared to Conor's second, stop going on like he was a child in nappies.

10 pro fights, compared to Conor's 16 lol. Conor had already been fighting for 7 years, more than double the length of time Max had been fighting.

But you specifically mentioned Conor wrestle fucking him, and I conveniently reminded you that Max was very inexperienced especially at grappling.

I'm not sure if you know this, but Conor is a marketing gimmick built on hand picked opponents, unearned title shots, favoritism by the UFC, and a massive weight cut to fight much smaller men. There is a reason he has never defended any title ever and hasn't won since the Obama era.

The truth of course being that Conor is the fight that is worth the biggest payday, and coincidentally the easiest fight for Khabib.

Conor isn't a threat to Khabib, especially since Conor refuses to fight.
I don't know, I think Conor obliterates him in the rematch.

Javier's nose was growing as he said that.

He knows damn well that Tony is a bigger threat. The good news is that Khabib knows it too and (I think) relishes the chance to face the best. Money matters for sure, but I think Khabib wants to fight Tony (assuming both win their next fight).

10 pro fights, compared to Conor's 16 lol. Conor had already been fighting for 7 years, more than double the length of time Max had been fighting.

But you specifically mentioned Conor wrestle fucking him, and I conveniently reminded you that Max was very inexperienced especially at grappling.

I'm not sure if you know this, but Conor is a marketing gimmick built on hand picked opponents, unearned title shots, favoritism by the UFC, and a massive weight cut to fight much smaller men. There is a reason he has never defended any title ever and hasn't won since the Obama era.
Doesn't matter, compared to the UFC Conor was fighting in the so called little leagues whereas Max was seen to have the potential for a UFC call up already.

And lmao yes Aldo, Chad, holloway, Poirier, Alvarez and Nate Diaz and now all cans I suppose, not to mention he went four rounds and took a round from Khabib. Whatever fits your narrative buddy.

Doesn't matter, compared to the UFC Conor was fighting in the so called little leagues whereas Max was seen to have the potential for a UFC call up already.

And lmao yes Aldo, Chad, holloway, Poirier, Alvarez and Nate Diaz and now all cans I suppose, not to mention he went four rounds and took a round from Khabib. Whatever fits your narrative buddy.

Conor cut tons of weight, and was heavier than all of his opponents at fw. That's a fact.

Conor has looked very average at 155+, in fact he is 3-3 at that weight.

He's never once defended any title in his career, and hasn't won a fight since Obama was president.

That's not a narrative, those are facts.

Conor cut tons of weight, and was heavier than all of his opponents at fw. That's a fact.

Conor has looked very average at 155+, in fact he is 3-3 at that weight.

He's never once defended any title in his career, and hasn't won a fight since Obama was president.

That's not a narrative, those are facts.
Conor cut loads of weight, yet was smaller than both Max and Dustin... Fact. He has went up to lightweight and Khabib is way bigger and has missed weight how many times?... Fact.
And he won the interim belt and defended it in its unification... Fact. But seeing as you're pressing on that silly narrative winning the featherweight belt then going straight up to beat the lightweight champ isn't impressive no?

Conor barely fights or even trains now because he simply doesn't have to. He is filthy rich and I accepted a long time ago he probably won't return and even if he does won't be the same fighter.

Dustin has just as much a puncher's chance as Mcgregor

Agree with his assessment and 155 becomes so subjective[after those] with so many fighters that could be ranked in various ways. I'll throw in 2 dark horses that could make their presence known inside calendar year :

Paul Felder ( I still want to see Al fight and I think Felder wins)

The continued evolving and body getting filled out Charles Oliveria.

I'm not saying they'd beat khabib but - well- again, " dark horse" which carries the adage " you never know ".

You're ignoring the fact that Conor was on his way to losing the decision as well. You would have a point if it was a GSP-Serra type of situation, but you yourself have to understand that nothing about being finished makes you more prepared to win the next time around.

On his way to losing a decision, how? They fought for five rounds, he won. Conor would have even won 4 to 1 if not for Diaz's last minute take down in the last round.

Ok I get it, you’re trolling. No ones dumb enough to think getting finished, is somehow better than losing by judges decision. You had me going, lol nice trolling

It's counterintuitive for sure, but a lot of things are. Just because something seems like it'd be one way logically in your head doesn't mean it works that way in reality.

Cool. What's your point? Mine was that history shows us that there's a better chance of avenging a loss where you got finished than there is of avenging one where you lost a wide decision.

Your point is 100% moot without proper statistics, literally.
In other words youre making up baseless shit that suits your narrative...

Khabib wants to increase Dagestan's GDP by 50%.

He's begging for a red panty night through his coach.

Conor has a special eye for mistakes he makes. He went into the Khabib fight too careless. When he's calculated and focused like he was against Eddie, it'll be hard to stop him

His assessment is actually that he was not careless enough. He said he was too defensive.

Back