Economy Japan's GDP (current US$) is smaller than it was in 1994.

Or it could be that large families have become prohibitively expensive for most people. This is a known issue
Exactly. Its less of a choice and more out of necessity in many circumstances.

An aging population isn't really a problem unless you have social systems that rely on perpetual growth, i.e. the young pay for the old (as is the case in much of the West, as new taxpayers are often required to pay off government social programs due to ridiculous spending and economic management).

As the young get squeezed harder and harder to support more and more of an aging population, them having families is increasingly difficult and emigration starts looking increasingly attractive.

Why do the West and Japan have so few children?

Their populations are aging and getting old and weak.
Educated people are more reluctant to have children if they cannot guarantee they will be very well provided for. My great-grand parents cared at most if their children would have enough to eat but otherwise they were happy in having some extra hands helping with farm labor. The costs of having an extra children were minimal and people were expected to pull their own weight as soon as they could pick up a tool.
My parents wanted to raise children in an expensive city, give them the best healthcare and education. That's expensive and it's unlikely they would have been able to provide to 9 children like it was common in the past.
Added to that you have inexpensive contraceptives and a hedonistic life style being promoted by the media where you need to travel and to have an expensive car and the latest electronic gadgets to be happy and it becomes even more unsustainable to have lots of children. To make it even worse you have feminism saying women should try and become CEOs instead of raising a family.

Japan is pretty conservative and the feminism and hedonism stuff isn't as big, it's mostly an economic problem and a problem of very high expectations. Parents want their children to be extremely successful and it's much harder to raise 3 or more children to be successful in Japan than to raise one. Living costs in Tokyo and other large cities are enormous.
It's a very small country with a large population, few natural resources and not that much room for growth either. In large continental countries you can found new cities where young people can start anew, buy cheap homes, start new businesses and the like. Not so in a small island.

This is what happens when you're below replacement level and you don't take new people in.

New people (immigrants) is a short-term fix.

Immigrants also get old, immigrants also have few children.

Mexico and many other South American countries are also now below replacement fertility rates and their population will start to decline very soon. Heck, even India is now below replacement level. Jamaica and many of the Caribbean countries have been below replacement for well over a decade.

People panic and over worry about problems that aren’t even problems.

Mexico and many other South American countries are also now below replacement fertility rates and their population will start to decline very soon. Heck, even India is now below replacement level.

Well, you look at countries whose populations and economies are stagnating like this, like Japan and Russia, I don't think it's a mere coincidence. It's not happening in the US, UK, France, etc. These are economies built for growth.

Well, you look at countries whose populations and economies are stagnating like this, like Japan and Russia, I don't think it's a mere coincidence. It's not happening in the US, UK, France, etc. These are economies built for growth.

… Not yet.

The growth will eventually stagnate, it’s inevitable. Eventually, the immigrants will dry up.

@codfather is consistently on point with interesting threads that deviate from the regular culture war rants.

Well done, sir.
Counterpoint: He's a fucking idiot with a gimmick of posting lists only. Sometimes the list will have a source and explanation. After you see it a couple times its no longer fun or funny. Certainly a different style of gimmick, but it only gets a 2 out of 10 on my ranking.

Mexico and many other South American countries are also now below replacement fertility rates and their population will start to decline very soon. Heck, even India is now below replacement level.

It is a problem when a big part of your society is old.

It is a problem when a big part of your society is old.

Not necessarily.

You can be old and active. Look at old people in Okinawa. People need to be prepared to make lifestyle changes.

But, a lot of people don’t want to hear that. A lot of people want to retire at 60 and sit on their asses for 40 years.

Counterpoint: He's a fucking idiot with a gimmick of posting lists only. Sometimes the list will have a source and explanation. After you see it a couple times its no longer fun or funny. Certainly a different style of gimmick, but it only gets a 2 out of 10 on my ranking.
You're my arch enemy and I despise and respect you but I must disagree.

Having a unique style that fails your exacting standards doesn't necessitate stupidity. Simply a different perspective on global affairs.

Respectfully I disagree.

Edit: I should also say that accusing a person of being an "idiot" is severe and significantly uncharitable. It's unworthy of a poster of your esteem.

You're my arch enemy and I despise and respect you but I must disagree.

Having a unique style that fails your exacting standards doesn't necessitate stupidity. Simply a different perspective on global affairs.

Respectfully I disagree.

Edit: I should also say that accusing a person of being an "idiot" is severe and significantly uncharitable. It's unworthy of a poster of your esteem.
I wasn't aware that we were enemies, but now that I know you can eat shit. This asswipe doesn't have any perspective on anything. He only has a gimmick of posting lists. Only an idiot would dedicate as much time as he does to posting shit to stick to the gimmick.

I wasn't aware that we were enemies, but now that I know you can eat shit. This asswipe doesn't have any perspective on anything. He only has a gimmick of posting lists. Only an idiot would dedicate as much time as he does to posting shit to stick to the gimmick.
Lol

If you truly feel that way I'm sorry that you unfortunately wasted your time in this thread. For individuals such as myself who struggle to balance work, wife, children, and hobbies (an idiot), I appreciate the tidbits of non partisan information.

I appreciate you on this forum and wish you well in all aspects of your life.

Lol

If you truly feel that way I'm sorry that you unfortunately wasted your time in this thread. For individuals such as myself who struggle to balance work, wife, children, and hobbies (an idiot), I appreciate the tidbits of non partisan information.

I appreciate you on this forum and wish you well in all aspects of your life.
Shut the hell up

Shut the hell up
You know, I should also say eugenicists like yourself, obsessed with the imperfect measurement of intelligence are simply creepy.

Intelligence doesn't determine the validity of human experience. Only shallow minded fascists such as yourself trade in such verbatim.

I can't even imagine an uncaring, emotionally dead monster such as yourself having the decency to show respect to a legitimately disabled and cognitively impaired individual. Your nothing more than a far right, hateful bigot.

No empathy, no compassion, no humanity. Typical.

Back