Economy Japan's GDP (current US$) is smaller than it was in 1994.

They also have a lot of debt.

"As of 2022, the Japanese public debt is estimated to be approximately US$12.20 trillion US Dollars (1.4 quadrillion yen), or 266% of GDP, and is the highest of any developed nation. 45% of this debt is held by the Bank of Japan." - Wikipedia

They also have an aging population.

"The percentage of people aged 65 and over (the percentage of the elderly) has also been increasing and is among the highest in the world. It was 28.4% in 2019 and is expected to reach 33.3% in 2036 and 38.4% in 2065." - https://www.gov-online.go.jp/eng/

Japan had more people in 1994 and a lower percentage of seniors.

PPP or NET? GDP?

___
We are selling them stuff from high precision ( even bearings judged by harsh high tech standards) .. ...or even till wood.

We need Japan and they need us...

Why do the West and Japan have so few children?

Their populations are aging and getting old and weak.

Like modern society diesn't needs bunch with guys with showels and so so on...
Nope.
And single bobcat might replace 6 labourers with proper english in soap like...
Might replace the same with proper russian or proper chinesse or hindu.

Damn, I always heard about how they have peaked and will decline in population but it’s bizarre to confirm that it has already happened.

Big families are important.

Important to what? The people of Japan aren't impoverished because of their shrinking GDP and population.

I, personally, don't fret over the future of Western civilization or humanity, for that matter. I won't be alive to be affected by it.

It isn't surprising if you understand how Japanese work culture works. In a nutshell it's all about appearances. You're expected to work very long hours and take part in after-hours work activities e.g. going drinking with potential customers. But the actual efficiency of your work doesn't matter, only that you appear to be working and 'sacrificing' yourself for the company. So what people do is they do real work 40 hours a week, then pretend to work - making themselves look busy - an extra 30 hours per week, unpaid. In the end on paper it says they worked 70 hours but those hours were incredibly inefficient. The person who does this gets the promotion because they fulfilled what the culture expected of them. You tack-on the extra work activities after work, and you end up with a burned out population that has no time for leisure or raising children. Most workers don't even take their yearly vacation time because the culture considers that it reflects poorly on them; they would get snide, under-handed comments from their boss and coworkers. They even have a word for killing yourself through work (karoshi), any culture that feels the need to create a word for that is in trouble.

The issue is that Japan is very conservative, they don't like changing anything. This can be good sometimes, but in other instances like this one it's not good. They have this obviously insane, toxic and counter-productive work culture, but they just... don't change it.

Important to what? The people of Japan aren't impoverished because of their shrinking GDP and population.

I, personally, don't fret over the future of Western civilization or humanity, for that matter. I won't be alive to be affected by it.

Japan had in 1995 a higher GDP per capita than 2021.

They are going backwards.

I care about the world. I want the world to be wealthier. I want that people are more happy.

I also care about the people in the future. I want them to be wealthy and happy.

They also have an aging population.

"The percentage of people aged 65 and over (the percentage of the elderly) has also been increasing and is among the highest in the world. It was 28.4% in 2019 and is expected to reach 33.3% in 2036 and 38.4% in 2065." - https://www.gov-online.go.jp/eng/

Aging and shrinking:

image.jpg

Back