Jake shields says "unfair to blast Jon for something he wasn't to be tested"

doesnt matter if you disagree with it or not. you have no say in it whatsoever.

you have a problem because its a personal opinion/personal moral view.

I actually could careless if he snorts a oz a day out of training camp. I have used coke and think adults should be able to do whatever drug they want to. It's a title fight you spar hard and pay fighters to come in. Now I am not saying he was high while sparring but he could have been.

No but he does punch and kick people while in training.

And that's vastly different than being on a worksite in terms of legality and safety. Even if Jones is sparring high (which is complete speculation), he would be sparring people who have already signed gym waivers. Also, when working up in the field, everyone signs waivers and acknowledges what the banned substances are and that they can be tested for them. Testing positive for cocaine out of competition doesn't entail any sanction and Jones would be aware of this. His position in the respective business is also vastly different than workers up in the field. Jones generates several million dollars by merely showing up on fight night. Quite simply, these are completely different scenarios.

you keep saying this. did someone say he sparred on drugs?

No and I don't think he was but he could have been. so lets nip it now and change the rules on testing for training camps they differ greatly from regular training.

I think it more has to do with the fact it was something he was never supposed to be tested for.
Doing coke isn't very smart to begin with. Doing coke as a professional athlete that is subject to random blood and urine testing, even if not explicitly for coke, is utterly retarded.
Also, the main reason Jones gets blasted is because of his hypocrisy. Liddell and Thiago Silva didn't get much heat for doing coke, but they weren't selling themselves as perfect Christian role models. The only way for nuthuggers to deny that is the racism-troll.

And that's vastly different than being on a worksite in terms of legality and safety. Even if Jones is sparring high (which is complete speculation), he would be sparring people who have already signed gym waivers. Also, when working up in the field, everyone signs waivers and acknowledges what the banned substances are and that they can be tested for them. Testing positive for cocaine out of competition doesn't entail any sanction and Jones would be aware of this. His position in the respective business is also vastly different than workers up in the field. Jones generates several million dollars by merely showing up on fight night. Quite simply, these are completely different scenarios.

I am not saying he was. once you pay people to spar with you it is a workplace you and the gym would be liable if he you were high and hurt someone.

This. People chastising Jones as if they wouldn't be living the thug life too with millions of dollars.

Hookers and blow are the American dream.

I suspect you're young, immature, uneducated or unproductive.

Wow. Poor future America.

I am not saying he was. once you pay people to spar with you it is a workplace you and the gym would be liable if he you were high and hurt someone.

Everyone has to sign a waiver to spar (at least, that's generally how it works at every gym I've been at). Good luck proving he was high or that being high caused him to injure anyone.

Everyone has to sign a waiver to spar (at least, that's generally how it works at every gym I've been at). Good luck proving he was high or that being high caused him to injure anyone.

I have signed that waiver. being on coke would change things. also being paid to spar is probably a little different. having coke in his system would make a strong case for liability.

Did he lose his Reebok sponsorship because of this?

No and I don't think he was but he could have been. so lets nip it now and change the rules on testing for training camps they differ greatly from regular training.

people train all the time. not just when they are in a camp. maybe pre-sparring drug tests year-round.

well nevertheless doing something like that running into the fight is still potentially jeapordising the fight (and giving the ufc a final black eye at the end of a rough year/start of the new one)

people train all the time. not just when they are in a camp. maybe pre-sparring drug tests year-round.

Training camp for a fight is greatly different then regular training. But yes you should have enough respect not to be on drugs while rolling, hitting pads or light sparring. again I don't really believe he was but we can't really know. As to your straw man about year testing for sparring. if I was a fighter that was asked to spar with jones for money I would ask for it yes.

wasnt there a picture of Shields that surfaced a few years back where it looked like he could has also been on some kind of "substance"

I have signed that waiver. being on coke would change things. also being paid to spar is probably a little different. having coke in his system would make a strong case for liability.

If a waiver was signed, it likely wouldn't. Proving he was high on cocaine at the time of sparring and that being high contributed to a given injury would be rather difficult. Banning cocaine out of competition would create far more problems than it would solve in the business of prize fighting. There is no upside to it.

I suspect you're young, immature, uneducated or unproductive.

Wow. Poor future America.

Well I am young but I'm a pre-med student. I'm Also a chemistry tutor so I would not call myself uneducated. Just honest.

If a waiver was signed, it likely wouldn't. Proving he was high on cocaine at the time of sparring and that being high contributed to a given injury would be rather difficult. Banning cocaine out of competition would create far more problems than it would solve in the business of prize fighting. There is no upside to it.

I don't want hem to ban it out of comp. I want them to consider training camp as in comp. Also a waiver does not mean you can't lose a law suit intent as a lot to do with it.

Back