• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Izzy vs DDP official for UFC 305 in Australia on August 17

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Dana White-privilege strikes again. DDP by lopsided decision. Striking will be competitive by I think DDP mauls him on the mat with gnp.

Hopefully Izzy doesn't get an immediate rematch afterwards.
Ain’t no privilege here, Izzy was the most active champion and fought anyone the UFC put in front of him. Plus this fight sells and should’ve happened already last year.

I can't stand Izzy, he's such a tool so I hope Dricus. Whoever wins is probably losing to Strickland in the rematch anyway.

Why they put that assclown on another Australian card makes me wonder why? The Australian fans can't stand his ass.

Strickland has the better claim, but the Izzy fight intrigues me more. It has that new car smell, plus all that Africa heat. Pick em' fight for me. Izzy looked terrible in his last outing, but perhaps that was an aberration.
Does he? I mean Strickland’s title shot vs Izzy was pretty unwarranted, he was 2-2in his last 4 and his wins were Imavov and Abus Magomedov, lol. Strickland also didn’t manage to defend his title even once and he beat Costa in a boring fight and Costa hasn’t been in the title picture for a long ass time.

While Izzy is a 2 time champion with 5 title defences.

Sorry, i did get confused, is the opponent on his level Poatan or Strickland?
Cause it's still hard to me thinking of Strickland as someone on his level of striking, even tho he trounced him.
Strickland is possibly the most defensively sound striker in the UFC. At middleweight, he certainly holds the record for least sig strikes absorbed, that Philly shell really is hell, especially if you're a low volume counter striker like Izzy. Izzy's finishes come from an opponent running into a hard strike, the guy has never walked someone down and KO'd them, which is why the opponents that didn't mindlessly engage led to really boring fights.
Sean is almost tailor made to beat Izzy standing, constant pressure, solid chin, incredible defense, training with Poatan sharpened his leg and calf kick checking game to a level above where it was before the Izzy fight. Sean's main issue is a total lack of diversity in his offensive arsenal. The first headkick he threw in his career landed on Costa and rocked him. He has no takedown threat so he can't even feint them to make opponents think about them. He just needs to absorb new knowledge, he's very good at what he does, adding to it couldn't hurt. Both of his last two split losses to DDP and Brunson could have been avoided if he just had a little bit more.

The UFC doesn't like Strickland
Probably not, but it isn’t because he’s a “PR nightmare” like some would have you believe.

It’s because he’s just simply boring and a jab merchant.

An incredibly skilled and technical jab merchant but boring nonetheless.

UFC is now shown more on ESPN and this network doesn't like people who shout f***lgbtqandplus on TV as Disney owns it. Yup conspiracy theory but most likely true. I probably would believe this if Trump is not on 303.
I highly doubt this.

Strickland is nowhere near close to relevant enough for ESPN to step in.

Leaning towards Izzy. Styles make fights. I really like DDP and don't love Izzy, but could see DDP getting countered and sniped by Izzy. Hopefully DDP works some TDs and throws him a beat down.

Def looking forward to this one. I think DDP will bring it to Izzy, lets see if Izzy can bounce back after that SS loss.

With Khamzat out it looks like Strickland is def getting the winner.

Izzy should catch him with counter. With that said very undeserved ts.

If DDP comes in with his wrestling shoes, he'll win. If he can't take Izzy down or chooses to stand to prove a point, he gets outpointed or even finished. His style is different than Sean's, so I don't know if he will have the same sustained success on the feet.
He definitely should grapple, but people suddenly act like Izzy has bad tdd, based on what?

Does he? I mean Strickland’s title shot vs Izzy was pretty unwarranted, he was 2-2in his last 4 and his wins were Imavov and Abus Magomedov, lol. Strickland also didn’t manage to defend his title even once and he beat Costa in a boring fight and Costa hasn’t been in the title picture for a long ass time.

Strickland hot robbed against Cannonier. He took fights on short notice, rose to the ocasion, was active.

If Izzy doesn't get rocked, he should be able to beat DDP. You have to have a tight game and not let his crazy shit get to you. DDP is more hittable than Strickland, this will be a good match. In particularly when DDP closes distance if Izzy can still land his nasty counters, which is why guys usually stay on his outside. However guys that pressure like Strickland or Gastelum showed how Izzy can be beat if you play it right. Good fight for both guys to prove their game, both strong where the other is weak. Odds should be close.

Izzy is also 2-2 in his last four and in those two losses he lost his title twice.

Ddp could get checked but he has good grappling and the last "good" grappler Izzy fought was vetorri who has room temperature IQ.
Ddp is big at MW. I don't think Izzy is getting back up if he gets him down. He couldn't and didn't do anything to get up from under Jan who isn't even a grappler. Would be best for the division if DDP puts him away and Izzy never touches a title again.

I picked DDP against Bobby Knuckles and will pick him against Izzy as well. Terrible stylistic matchup for Izzy.
Amen. I'll do a proper writeup of my analysis before the fight happens, but I totally agree. Styles are all wrong for Izzy, he's going to get steamrolled.

So much heat to this fight with the whole Africa/race angle. Its just a shame Izzy got derailed before it happened.

After the absolute stinker he just put on, I think Strickland needs another fight.
The match ups should have been Strickland vs Whittaker and Costa vs Khamzat. You have to wonder what the UFC matchmakers are thinking sometimes.

Back