Ive Come To The Conclusion

Well, lots of people make threads here asking why so many people quit BJJ, so thanks for shedding a little light on one of the reasons why, TS.

I train a bunch of styles but BJJ and grappling is my icing. I make sure I catch every class and just genuinely enjoy those classes over the others.

It might just be the lack of striking, but MMA is god awful away from combat.

If you mean street fighting. Yeah, MMA is really nothing like it.

Headbuts, eye gouging, fish hooking, groin shots, face stomps, back of the head striking, etc.

These are where a lot of street fights devolve to.

Allow me to quote Ace Ventura... "Take care now, bye-bye then."

BJJ is by far the best grappling art in the world. A close second would be wrestling. So no, I haven't tired of it. Thank you, sir.

I can kind of see what the OP is saying. BJJ does run the danger of becoming the next Judo, in terms of becoming almost excusively a sport, rather than a combat style. It's important that BJJ retain the self-defense aspects and hard rolling. We already see "point" grapplers who only care about points and not submissions or have little desire to test their skills in a mixed format. BJJ must continue to be used, tested, and refined against other forms of combat to stay relevant..

I guess when I train all three together boxing,thai boxing, and mma I actually feel like I am training for a fight. I know it sounds stupid but thats how I feel. I think the way bjj is taught and trained nowadays is no different than the other traditional martial arts. It seems outta touch with actual combat.

And you can say this from your vast experience with multiple instructors and schools.

Maybe the BJJ school that you went to sucks.

WOW! Someone starts a thread, I quit wrasslin or Judo to do BJJ, its all good welcome aboard. Someone says the opposite...LOOK OUT!

You guys are a riot. Like Redaxe said there have been multiple posts about why people quit the art and here is one person with one reason. For example: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bjj-drop-out-percentage-1173150/

Maybe sparring with guys that use an inverted-half-rubber-monkey steals the peach-tea bag guard does not feel like a practical "fighting" art for him.

Maybe he does not like a gi.

Maybe he likes sprawl and brawl.

But Geez guys, many of you are worshippers.

cult.jpg

Last edited:
I guess when I train all three together boxing,thai boxing, and mma I actually feel like I am training for a fight. I know it sounds stupid but thats how I feel. I think the way bjj is taught and trained nowadays is no different than the other traditional martial arts. It seems outta touch with actual combat.

most things out of your mouth probably sound stupid.

did you start this topic because you think people give a shit about what you do?

oh, and cool story bro

And you can say this from your vast experience with multiple instructors and schools.

Maybe the BJJ school that you went to sucks.

I agree.....not all BJJ schools are the same...... some have different programs. Some schools concentrate on sport only, some on self defense/Vale-Tudo. Maybe he should find one that fits his needs.

WOW! Someone starts a thread, I quit wrasslin or Judo to do BJJ, its all good welcome aboard. Someone says the opposite...LOOK OUT!

You guys are a riot. Like Redaxe said there have been multiple posts about why people quit the art and here is one person with one reason. For example: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bjj-drop-out-percentage-1173150/

Maybe sparring with guys that use an inverted-half-rubber-monkey steals the peach-tea bag guard does not feel like a practical "fighting" art for him.

Maybe he does not like a gi.

Maybe he likes sprawl and brawl.

But Geez guys, many of you are worshippers.

cult.jpg

Thank you. Someone who understands without sounding like a BJJ nutthugger douche who is lookin to up his post count. I dont like the GI. I dont like all of the unrealistic positions that are not practical for a real fight. I like the fact that I train all phases of combat and have more more fun without being pressured into paying a couple hundred dollars for a single elimination tourney. O and I pay 30 dollars less a month because I am not paying for the outdated rep that BJJ is the best art on the planet.

Thank you. Someone who understands without sounding like a BJJ nutthugger douche who is lookin to up his post count. I dont like the GI. I dont like all of the unrealistic positions that are not practical for a real fight. I like the fact that I train all phases of combat and have more more fun without being pressured into paying a couple hundred dollars for a single elimination tourney. O and I pay 30 dollars less a month because I am not paying for the outdated rep that BJJ is the best art on the planet.

This MMA school you go to......what is the background on the instructor that teaches ground fighting....just curious

If you quit bjj , i will come and armbar you in your sleep.
You've been warned.

BJJ is by far the best grappling art in the world. A close second would be wrestling. So no, I haven't tired of it. Thank you, sir.

way to make an opinion sound like fact.

no way can a grappling sport that doesn't teach throws be the top of the food chain.

This MMA school you go to......what is the background on the instructor that teaches ground fighting....just curious

We have two. The main guy is a machado black belt and a college wrestler. He also has a handful of mma fights.The other instructor is bjj purple belt with sambo, judo, and wrestling experience. Everything we do is fighting specific.

way to make an opinion sound like fact.

no way can a grappling sport that doesn't teach throws be the top of the food chain.

Oh, come on. Saying that BJJ doesn't teach throws is like saying that Judo doesn't teach armbars. Of course BJJ teaches throws, we just choose to put greater emphasis on other aspects of grappling. Grappling is so broad and complex that you can't be awesome at everything, you have to specialize at least a little bit.

Oh, come on. Saying that BJJ doesn't teach throws is like saying that Judo doesn't teach armbars. Of course BJJ teaches throws, we just choose to put greater emphasis on other aspects of grappling. Grappling is so broad and complex that you can't be awesome at everything, you have to specialize at least a little bit.

I haven't been taught any throws (instructor is a judo blackbelt). Only takedowns, single legs and double legs. We drill the fuck out of them. takedowns and throws are school specific, some schools teach them, others don't. Good schools teach them.

I haven't been taught any throws (instructor is a judo blackbelt). Only takedowns, single legs and double legs. We drill the fuck out of them. takedowns and throws are school specific, some schools teach them, others don't. Good schools teach them.

Oh ok, well I guess I go to a good school then.

Back