Ive Come To The Conclusion

Oh ok, well I guess I go to a good school then.

I wanna learn some nogi judo from my instructor so I may take a private from him when I have time/money to.

way to make an opinion sound like fact.

no way can a grappling sport that doesn't teach throws be the top of the food chain.

way to sound like you know nothing about bjj... in case you didnt know competitions start on the feet. any school that doesnt at least touch on the stand up aspect of grappling is failing its members and is damn sure not competitive.

in our school alone last month we drilled single leg, double leg, osoto gari, seoi nage, o goshi, pick up single, single counter into a uchi mata, ouchi gari > uchi mata > ankle pick series. we also spend at least one day a week warming up by drilling entrances into sparring for takedowns and another day sparring for takedowns.

so saying a legit bjj school doesnt train any stand up makes you sound like one of those guys that says it wont work in streets because you can't pull guard..

way to sound like you know nothing about bjj... in case you didnt know competitions start on the feet. any school that doesnt at least touch on the stand up aspect of grappling is failing its members and is damn sure not competitive.

in our school alone last month we drilled single leg, double leg, osoto gari, seoi nage, o goshi, pick up single, single counter into a uchi mata, ouchi gari > uchi mata > ankle pick series. we also spend at least one day a week warming up by drilling entrances into sparring for takedowns and another day sparring for takedowns.

so saying a legit bjj school doesnt train any stand up makes you sound like one of those guys that says it wont work in streets because you can't pull guard..

DID you just hear yourself. I highlighted some key terms You DID say and I will point out some key things You DID NOT say. You did not say anything about SPARRING on the feet all the time or even most of the time.

One day a week and if you miss that class, then what?

In addition the reason BJJ and other combat sports are effective is because they train LIVE, otherwise you are doing kata and drills, which is essentially what you described save for the one day a week comment.

While I admire that they at least try to work on it how well do you really feel you know throws or take downs? IF I were to tell you I trained guard once per week would you think I could be effective?

I recently began training MMA again (I used to train it, before BJJ, for about 5yrs, then went to BJJ only) and its made me love BJJ even more bc MMA shows you the true OPENINGS that BJJ should be able to take advantage of....whereas BJJ is 90% defense these days.

Playing guard is actually fun again in MMA. I tap people out like its nobodies business which I havent been able to do in BJJ bc people in my school got used to my guard but now with the addition of punches its amazing again! And I love having punches thrown at my face to add the realism to the art again.

So I feel ya but I disagree!

BJJ is by far the best grappling art in the world.

Oh, come on. Saying that BJJ doesn't teach throws is like saying that Judo doesn't teach armbars. Of course BJJ teaches throws, we just choose to put greater emphasis on other aspects of grappling. Grappling is so broad and complex that you can't be awesome at everything, you have to specialize at least a little bit.

he's got an opinion, and I've got mine. I love BJJ don't get me wrong, but I won't ever allow wrestling to be given short shrift, just as you probably feel the same way about BJJ.

way to make an opinion sound like fact.

no way can a grappling sport that doesn't teach throws be the top of the food chain.

I hate practicing Judo and Wrestling but fuck man...I can't agree more with what you said and disagree more with what he said.

DID you just hear yourself. I highlighted some key terms You DID say and I will point out some key things You DID NOT say. You did not say anything about SPARRING on the feet all the time or even most of the time.

One day a week and if you miss that class, then what?

In addition the reason BJJ and other combat sports are effective is because they train LIVE, otherwise you are doing kata and drills, which is essentially what you described save for the one day a week comment.

While I admire that they at least try to work on it how well do you really feel you know throws or take downs? IF I were to tell you I trained guard once per week would you think I could be effective?

did you read the post i quoted? i'm not saying bjj is the end all be all stand up grappling art but saying you won't learn any stand up is idiotic.

i think one day a week is more than enough. it gives me enough knowledge to at least see a throw or takedown coming and avoid injury / be put in a position i can't escape.

i also would much rather spend 4 days a week on my ground game and one on stand up vs the other way around. the match doesn't end after the throw or pin... IMO it's more important to be able to escape side control or mount rather than know how to put my opponent there from standing....

again i don't wanna come off as arrogant or like i know everything about grappling or that i think bjj is better than judo or wrestling. all i'm saying is just because bjj doesn't focus solely on the stand up game doesn't mean you'll be helpless on your feet like a lot of people on here seem to think. it really gives you the feeling they have no clue what they're talking about...

did you read the post i quoted? i'm not saying bjj is the end all be all stand up grappling art but saying you won't learn any stand up is idiotic.

i think one day a week is more than enough. it gives me enough knowledge to at least see a throw or takedown coming and avoid injury / be put in a position i can't escape.

i also would much rather spend 4 days a week on my ground game and one on stand up vs the other way around. the match doesn't end after the throw or pin... IMO it's more important to be able to escape side control or mount rather than know how to put my opponent there from standing....

again i don't wanna come off as arrogant or like i know everything about grappling or that i think bjj is better than judo or wrestling. all i'm saying is just because bjj doesn't focus solely on the stand up game doesn't mean you'll be helpless on your feet like a lot of people on here seem to think. it really gives you the feeling they have no clue what they're talking about...
I can agree with what you are saying to an extent. One day a week AND drills will give you a HUGE advantage over untrained people in the stand up department and I am not suggestion you REPLACE ground training and fighting with stand up. Im suggesting that more than one day a week (IMO) you should START sparring on the feet just like ALL comps start on the feet. In fact I think all end of class rolls should start on the feet, all grappling events, mma fights and most actual fights will start that way too.

We have two. The main guy is a machado black belt and a college wrestler. He also has a handful of mma fights.The other instructor is bjj purple belt with sambo, judo, and wrestling experience. Everything we do is fighting specific.

So what is the difference between the BJJ instructor at your MMA school and the one from the other BJJ school. What is the emphasis on competition training only?

So what is the difference between the BJJ instructor at your MMA school and the one from the other BJJ school. What is the emphasis on competition training only?

It sounds like he is getting BJJ for MMA, which is still BJJ, but it also sounds like no gi etc...

From his post I deduce that he is getting strking on the feet and the ground and defending from the same.

It sounds like he is getting BJJ for MMA, which is still BJJ, but it also sounds like no gi etc...

From his post I deduce that he is getting strking on the feet and the ground and defending from the same.

Oh Okay ...so basically he is doing Vale-Tudo now....lol

I recently began training MMA again (I used to train it, before BJJ, for about 5yrs, then went to BJJ only) and its made me love BJJ even more bc MMA shows you the true OPENINGS that BJJ should be able to take advantage of....whereas BJJ is 90% defense these days.

Playing guard is actually fun again in MMA. I tap people out like its nobodies business which I havent been able to do in BJJ bc people in my school got used to my guard but now with the addition of punches its amazing again! And I love having punches thrown at my face to add the realism to the art again.

So I feel ya but I disagree!

That's cool, but keep in mind that guys training at MMA schools often don't have as high-level grappling ability as the guys who train at pure BJJ schools, so that might be one reason why you're tapping people out more.

It goes back to what I was saying about how grappling is really complex and you can't be awesome at everything so you have to specialize. MMA is the same way.

That's cool, but keep in mind that guys training at MMA schools often don't have as high-level grappling ability as the guys who train at pure BJJ schools, so that might be one reason why you're tapping people out more.

It goes back to what I was saying about how grappling is really complex and you can't be awesome at everything so you have to specialize. MMA is the same way.

Redaxe, In your opinion is it just the "time away" that does it or are you saying in general guys teaching MMA BJJ are lower level guys.

Redaxe, In your opinion is it just the "time away" that does it or are you saying in general guys teaching MMA BJJ are lower level guys.

Probably a little of both, depending on the school. I mean there are some crazy good grapplers out there teaching MMA, but there are also some very poor grapplers teaching it.

Also when you have to mix kickboxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu together, it's pretty hard to go into an adequate level of detail in each one of them, especially in a single class. You have to train all three of those for MMA, but it's best to train the different styles separately, and to "major" in one while "minoring" in the other two. In an MMA gym there will be a lot of guys who focus on kickboxing or wrestling rather than jiu-jitsu, so you might be able to tap them on the ground pretty easily if you're one of the guys who focuses on jiu-jitsu more.

So you just can't expect all the guys at an MMA gym to be at the same level in their jiu-jitsu as you could expect from the guys at a pure BJJ gym. That might explain why the guy is suddenly tapping people left and right now that he switched from a BJJ to an MMA gym.

I think he is saying that in an MMA school they are covering different topics...boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, and BJJ. So you don't spend all you time on just one topic therefore you can't be really good at BJJ if you spend your time on other things.

I think that is what he meant.....:redface:

Probably a little of both, depending on the school. I mean there are some crazy good grapplers out there teaching MMA, but there are also some very poor grapplers teaching it.

Also when you have to mix kickboxing, wrestling and jiu-jitsu together, it's pretty hard to go into an adequate level of detail in each one of them, especially in a single class. You have to train all three of those for MMA, but it's best to train the different styles separately, and to "major" in one while "minoring" in the other two. In an MMA gym there will be a lot of guys who focus on kickboxing or wrestling rather than jiu-jitsu, so you might be able to tap them on the ground pretty easily if you're one of the guys who focuses on jiu-jitsu more.

So you just can't expect all the guys at an MMA gym to be at the same level in their jiu-jitsu as you could expect from the guys at a pure BJJ gym. That might explain why the guy is suddenly tapping people left and right now that he switched from a BJJ to an MMA gym.

deff agree with that.

although do you think the grappling training in a pure BJJ school is as effective / well suited for MMA compared to a school that trains solely for MMA?

deff agree with that.

although do you think the grappling training in a pure BJJ school is as effective / well suited for MMA compared to a school that trains solely for MMA?

Yes it is effective as you always hear stories about BJJ guys having a easy time against guys that train MMA.

But GI BJJ is not the most efficient training style if your goal are to fight in a cage.

Back