It was a diuretic?!? (Regarding Romero).

According to
http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/yoel-romero-did-not-fail-drug-test-for-steroids-report-says/

"After Romero’s team recently insisted that the failure was due to an undisclosed substance found in an over-the-counter legal training supplement, the mixed martial arts community pretty much wrote the statement off as another cheater’s excuse. Compounded with his stool gate controversy and numerous accusations of sly tactics, Romero’s reputation began to take a slating. Well, according to a report by ENT Imports, USADA have followed up Romero’s claim and also verified it. Check out the update:

According to our undisclosed sources, Yoel was unaware there were any banned substances in his dietary supplement and they were not listed on the label. USADA independently bought and tested the product that foiled Yoel’s clean drug testing record and found the diuretic in it."

View attachment 78061

I understand Yoel is the perfect recipient for hate. He's ripped, religious, confident, the total antithesis of internet forums.

Whether he is or isn't on steroids, we don't know. The good news is that I won't judge you. If I more closely resembled a giant pear than a professional athlete, I would probably point the steroid finger at everyone as well. Really, it will be ok.
heh, haters will never believe even if they tested it themselves.

I don't like Yoel. I do think he resorts to questionable tactics in fights, but I am glad he was clean.

As a fan (of this sport), I want him beaten inside the octagon, not outside of it.

why is it less serious? One of the main uses for diuretics is to help mask steroid use.
Uh, they clearly said it wasn't listed in the ingredients. Yoel didn't know. Him taking it doesn't matter since, again, reading comprehension is fundamental, THE INGREDIENT ISN'T LISTED. He had no idea.

Oh I still firmly believe he's on something. That's not a natural body, but then again, that is not a natural lifestyle he's living so who am I to say anything ...

How do we know he did it unknowingly? We can't verify intent here. Word gets around on supplements. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he was aware of the supplement's true nature. We have to take him at his word or not at all. This article and its sources don't seem very credible either.

Last edited:
Arghhhhgrghjjyredfc!!!!!! Let him fight !!!!

Yoel's body is THE prototype of someone who uses steroids. To look and perform like that at 38 simply doesnt happen naturally
Unless perhaps your a former olympian who has trained his whole life rather than some internet keyboard warrior who took 2 classes in bjj...

LOLOL. This is the lamest fucking argument. He failed a PED test..

His failure has got nothing to do with judgement or 'pear shaped' commenters being jealous of his roided physique. He had banned substances in his system. That's on him.
Sorry, but He failed a test does not mean he used PED.
Masking agents are also banned substances, but are not PED's.
In this case, it seems pretty clear he used something that was allowed, but it contains a banned substance that is not indicated in the label. Not his fault.
Not saying he's mother Theresa's son, but in this case, it seems he seems obviously innocent.

there has been so much wrong information given out by 'undisclosed sources' for this particular case. im gonna wait until usada or zuffa confirm something.

first time ive heard of entimports as well.

This.. Yoel could easily have payed them to say this, this will ruin his career.. ofcourse he will do anything to close down the truth that he took designer steroids, which he did. Along with the rest of his camp ala Hector Lombard.

Sorry, but He failed a test does not mean he used PED.
Masking agents are also banned substances, but are not PED's.
In this case, it seems pretty clear he used something that was allowed, but it contains a banned substance that is not indicated in the label. Not his fault.
Not saying he's mother Theresa's son, but in this case, it seems he seems obviously innocent.
According to lowkickmma and EntImports's undisclosed sources.

The source of this is a joke. Ent imports doesn't have a legit source.

Others have said according to their sources he pissed hot for a designer peptide. I don't buy the diuretic story from a shit website.

lemmings have no appreciation for nuance, if they hear Yoel failed a drug test, it was the worst drug imaginable and he has been using that drug since birth, cheating is as breathing to Yoel.

Diuretic? still banned, still evil, in fact that's the secret ingredient in all bodybuilder's syringes. It doesn't matter that half of every edible plants on earth have diuretic properties, when USADA bans something, they ban it because steroids. Obviously Yoel was masking the steroids, therefore he is a cheater. guilty forever.

Please God. Enough if the boring white bread MMA fighters that rule this division. Now that Anderson is basically retiring this division needs Romero even more. I am a white guy but sick of Chris's reign being exchanged for a virtually identical fighter except he's single and has a big cock! Who do we want next as champion Bisping? Tim K? Diversity please...
Please gay Jesus, meritocracy please!

Good enough for me! Romero v Rockhold next. Weidman can go to the back of the line.

How do we know he did it unknowingly? We can't verify intent here. Word gets around on supplements. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he was aware of the supplement's true nature. We have to take him at his word or not at all. This article and its sources don't seem very credible either.

I was thinking along the same lines. Wasn't there a good thread on here a year or so ago with information from a known strength and conditioning "trainer" that opened up a can of worms on PEDs. Something along the lines of how they can make designer drugs and beat the testing.

I'm not saying Yoel know's somebody like this. But in theory, there are people out there that know their pharmaceuticals and will have inside information. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that just because something isn't on the label that NO ONE has a clue what's in it. The average Joe just walking in and buying it, sure. But there will be people out there that have more information than what's printed on a tiny label.

But in theory, they should have to prove that it was Yoel's intent to cheat. But couldn't they still issue him some sort of sentence? He still had a banned substance in his system.

If I was Yoel, I would lawyer up and take the supplement company to court.

h0fqo5g6ucyx4yqxhh5o.jpg

giphy.gif

This isn't a case of ignorance. If USADA did independently confirm contamination, then Yoel is a victim of fraud and can't be punished.
Not true. USADA's rules state athletes are responsible for everything they put in their bodies, even if they did not, or reasonably could not, know what was in a supplement. Which is not actually that strong a defense anyway. If you can't be sure what's in a supplement (an industry notorious for exactly this), maybe you shouldn't be taking them anyway. And that's basically USADA's position. Supplements aren't banned, but if you take a tainted one and fail a test, you're shit out of luck.

Not necessarily, Diuretics in MMA have generally been used to facilitate weight cutting.

It's prohibited because it's dangerous for your body as in even your heart can suffer when your body is dropping massive amounts of water weight at a rapid level

OK. So that would be a best case scenario for Yoel, given that if he only used it to cut weight then he wasn't using steroids. The ability to cut weight more easily than his opponent means that he will be larger and have more lean muscle mass on fight night. It's still cheating, and he'll still likely face a lengthy suspension.

This is of course all hinges on how his claim that his supplements were tainted plays out. I think it is unlikely going to hold up as an excuse, but obviously i could be wrong about that. If he really is cleared of all accusations of wrong doing, then I will owe Mr. Romero a sincere apology, and I'm more than willing to give one.

Back