• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Islam runs 5k in 18:30mins

IIRC the average sherdogger is 6'5, 8% body fat, BJJ black belt, can bench press 405 lbs, run a mile in 4 minutes 30
So it is not impressive by Sherdog standards, but to the average citizen its quite impressive
Your numbers are a bit outdated, we only procreate with Olympic material and we start their PED cycling in utero (mainly HGH non stop until they're adults) so... but 18:30 for 5k isn't that bad, I get a bit tired near the end of the return trip though but my girl is glad that I come back this fast from that village up the 30% slope with 40 liters of milk and croissants.

A kilometer is a little more than half a mile. So 5km around 2.7 miles in 18 minutes.

That's pretty standard for your combat arms military people and not impressive when compared to serious runners.
Did you just say a 5k is 2.7 miles
flwq9a9xli653kjc4ecx.png

My best time for 5km or 3 miles was 19:45, and that was after a couple of months of stamina work. I did and still do athletics (track and field) but I'm more into power and speed. Running 18:30 requires regular runs over a long time which I don't doubt Islam has been doing as part of his conditioning.

That's good, but nothing to boast about for a relatively light pro athlete. I am not impreZzd by his performance.

Anything under 20 mins is quick
I mean, 10k in under 40 is quick. That's around where the elite C class. Good runners, but they can't compete with the B class. But 5k is much easier

lol no it isn't, especially on flat ground.
There are highschool girls who can break 17 min.

When you weigh nearly 200lb it sure a fuck is fast. That's a whole heap more weight to cart around than a highschool girl.

I mean, 10k in under 40 is quick. That's around where the elite C class. Good runners, but they can't compete with the B class. But 5k is much easier

Yeah but it's good for a guy who's at least 180lbs and running is just one part of his training. I never put a considerable amount of time into distance running so maybe for people who are doing it years it's not so impressive

I think the thing that people are missing here with thee time listed that these are times by runners... who are unsurprisingly built like runners and weigh MUCH less than an MMA fighter.

Lets see those runners strap an extra 50% of extra body weight onto them and then reassess their times.

For my fellow Americans, 5K = 3.1 miles.

In my prime I ran 2 miles in 13:40, and I was almost dying at the end. The first mile was in 6 minutes and I took it somewhat easy on the second.

Islam basically ran at the same pace I did, 6 minute miles, for three straight miles.

Impressive.

But 5k is much easier

I wouldn't say it's much easier. 5k is notoriously one of the toughest races because it's not far enough to have any rest moments, but it's not a sprint either. It's pain the whole way through.

His time is very very good for someone whose main focus is not running. Breaking 20 min in 5k is hard enough.

When you weigh nearly 200lb it sure a fuck is fast. That's a whole heap more weight to cart around than a highschool girl.
lol "almost 200 lbs" hilarious hyperbole.
He is running 18:30 5ks while peaking in camp at a weight around 170-175lb as a lifetime professional athlete.

lol "almost 200 lbs" hilarious hyperbole.
He is running 18:30 5ks while peaking in camp at a weight around 170-175lb as a lifetime professional athlete.

I had read he was around 190lb. As a 200lb dude, getting under the 20 minute mark is a good time.

what a slow time (by sherbro standards). it would make more sense if he was wearing 10 pound ankle weights.

islam "molasses" makhachev

I highly doubt he's ever near 200 pounds at any point other than when he's not training or at the beginning of a fight camp. 190 maximum, probably 185.

He's very experienced and has never missed weight. Bet he's 175 at the beginning of fight week and cuts 20 pounds throughout the week.

He's learned from Khabib's mistakes of being too big before fight week and having a long and painful weightcut that would be a liability to his performance inside the cage.

In his pre fight press conference he said so. Anyone who races knows that is really fucking fast

Bro, I'm 40 (41 in April) and I can run a 5k in about 20 on a bad day.
I don't run competitively either, just part of normal training regimen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back