Media Isaac Dulgarian accuses Christian Rodriguez of cheating, being oiled up

It's literally standing back control, as I side. I didn't say it was back control on the ground.

Rod landed 3 more strikes. That's it. His strikes also had no visible impact, while when Dulgarian did land his strikes, he had CRod moving back into the cage.
Iirc (haven't rewatched) dulgarian had a rear waist lock which offers some control and optically doesn't look great for the fighter in crod's shoes, but it's just a standard technique to break the grip. 'Standing back control' brings to mind something more like newton vs hughes where there's an actual back take w more meaningful control w/ a hook or two or body triangle. Distinguishing back control/taking someone's back vs being behind someone w a waist lock but not quite having 'back control' as it's more commonly understood, subtle and annoying nuances

I thought Dulgarian won, but i'm not sure how he can claim that. We just watched him ragdoll and dominate a guy for two whole rounds before gassing but now claims the dude was greased? Nah.

10-8s should be given out for absolute dominance that leads to fight finishing offence.
It’s not about what should be, it’s about what is, and he did enough for a 10-8 in the 1st.

Also, a 10-7 is for when the judge believes the fight should have been stopped. Yes he was taking a lot of shots in the 3rd and yes it was a 10-8 but he wasn’t about to get stopped

Dude was fighting like a horny dog after the first round, very glad he lost he deserved it.
A horny dog? That's a new one lmao I'll use this in the future when I see a grappler fail at getting takedowns

Let's see a catchweight match between Christian Rodriguez versus Bryan Battle.

NHB rules. Eye pokes and greasing.

It’s not about what should be, it’s about what is, and he did enough for a 10-8 in the 1st.

Also, a 10-7 is for when the judge believes the fight should have been stopped. Yes he was taking a lot of shots in the 3rd and yes it was a 10-8 but he wasn’t about to get stopped
I disagree. 10-8s shouldn't be getting given out in grappling if you opponent is able to continuously get up and return to fighting. Defence doesn't score, but the very fact he was able to continue to get up, create scrambles and continue fighting is just control time for Dulgarian. If he had him down defending attacks or subs, that's different because it's scored under the effective grappling criteria. I just don't feel that continous control time should be scored as a 10-8, without significant offence.

We have the opposite issue now where fighters are given 10-8s for what should really be 10-9 rounds. Dulgarian won the round, but it wasn't so dominant that he deserved a 10-8. If the rounds were switched he never would have been given a 10-8 by anyone for that first round and the decision would have been considered a good one.

He throws some offence with that wrestling and sure, but he just spent his time mat returning him.

I thought Dulgarian won, but i'm not sure how he can claim that. We just watched him ragdoll and dominate a guy for two whole rounds before gassing but now claims the dude was greased? Nah.

1st time hes been out of the 1st round so him not finishing in the 1st probably makes him feel CRod was cheating

I disagree. 10-8s shouldn't be getting given out in grappling if you opponent is able to continuously get up and return to fighting. Defence doesn't score, but the very fact he was able to continue to get up, create scrambles and continue fighting is just control time for Dulgarian. If he had him down defending attacks or subs, that's different because it's scored under the effective grappling criteria. I just don't feel that continous control time should be scored as a 10-8, without significant offence.

We have the opposite issue now where fighters are given 10-8s for what should really be 10-9 rounds. Dulgarian won the round, but it wasn't so dominant that he deserved a 10-8. If the rounds were switched he never would have been given a 10-8 by anyone for that first round and the decision would have been considered a good one.

He throws some offence with that wrestling and sure, but he just spent his time mat returning him.
UFC stats (although not fully reliable) says he had 3 takedowns, 36 total strikes, 2 submission attempts and 4 minutes 48 seconds of control time. That to me is enough for a 10-8

I don't see why fighters or their corner can't complain mid-fight to the ref or a commission rep to check the other fighter.

The difference between sweat and any sort of oil/cream/etc should not be too hard to detect.

Yes, I'm aware that many of these accusations are just sour grapes after a loss...but there is likely truth to at least some of them. I would think that it would only take is one or two mid-fight DQs for greasing to put a scare into those who are allegedly known to do it.

Grease accusations getting out of control lately. Since it's very difficult to prove post fight, it's probably better to stfu about it.

I haven't any greasing accusations in awhile. Who else got accused?

UFC stats (although not fully reliable) says he had 3 takedowns, 36 total strikes, 2 submission attempts and 4 minutes 48 seconds of control time. That to me is enough for a 10-8

He had less than 10 sig strikes and the control time was primarily against the wall. Can you remember what those two sub attempts were off the top of your head without looking up the fight? I know it wasn't like he was going to go out at any point or be submitted.

Below is how the fight should have been scored IMO with Dulgarian being the left column.
10-9
10-10 or 9-10
8-10
28-29 for Rodriguez or draw. I think the scoring criteria supports me as control time isn't scored unless all else is equal and his offence in the first wasn't enough to earn a 10-8 because Rodriguez was still able to counter wrestle. If we give 10-8s out like that, every single one sided round will be a 10-8. MMA scored fight ending offence before control, so his 3 takedowns and subs actually need to nearly end the fight to score high enough. Previous scoring supports that position.

He had less than 10 sig strikes and the control time was primarily against the wall. Can you remember what those two sub attempts were off the top of your head without looking up the fight? I know it wasn't like he was going to go out at any point or be submitted.

Below is how the fight should have been scored IMO with Dulgarian being the left column.
10-9
10-10 or 9-10
8-10
28-29 for Rodriguez or draw. I think the scoring criteria supports me as control time isn't scored unless all else is equal and his offence in the first wasn't enough to earn a 10-8 because Rodriguez was still able to counter wrestle. If we give 10-8s out like that, every single one sided round will be a 10-8. MMA scored fight ending offence before control, so his 3 takedowns and subs actually need to nearly end the fight to score high enough. Previous scoring supports that position.
Dominant grappling positions, successful takedowns, submission attempts are all scored, and part of the criteria for a 10-8 is duration and dominance. Rodriguez had 1 significant strike and 5 total strikes in the first round

10-8 Dulgarian
10-9 Dulgarian
10-8 Rodriguez

Dominant grappling positions, successful takedowns, submission attempts are all scored, and part of the criteria for a 10-8 is duration and dominance. Rodriguez had 1 significant strike and 5 total strikes in the first round

10-8 Dulgarian
10-9 Dulgarian
10-8 Rodriguez
I didn't say they weren't scored. I said the first wasn't enough for a 10-8.
How can we score the first a 10-8 and then score it equal with the 3rd?
The 3rd had nearly as much control time, with the only reason it not being equal being because Rodriguez separated to land fight ending offence. This was a 10-8 round. The first was not.

1st round Rodriguez was able to get up, escape and continue fighting. He was in the fight the entire round and took no significant damage. AT no point was the fight going to be stopped.
3rd round was close to being stopped multiple times with Dulgarian only surviving because Rodriguez wasn't hitting him hard enough at that point in the fight. Dulgarian wasn't in the fight at that point.

I didn't say they weren't scored. I said the first wasn't enough for a 10-8.
How can we score the first a 10-8 and then score it equal with the 3rd?
The 3rd had nearly as much control time, with the only reason it not being equal being because Rodriguez separated to land fight ending offence. This was a 10-8 round. The first was not.

1st round Rodriguez was able to get up, escape and continue fighting. He was in the fight the entire round and took no significant damage. AT no point was the fight going to be stopped.
3rd round was close to being stopped multiple times with Dulgarian only surviving because Rodriguez wasn't hitting him hard enough at that point in the fight. Dulgarian wasn't in the fight at that point.
It wasn’t close to being stopped. And getting up doesn’t mean much when you do nothing while simultaneously getting taken down, getting outstruck, getting caught in sub attempts, getting your back taken etcetera

Your point isn’t relevant either because under the rules that would be considered a 10-8 regardless of what you think the rules should be

Back