Is Velasquez overrated?

another glorious white belt thread

Reem was walking backwards and scared to engage Werdum, JDS is going to time that uppercut to the body and watch Reem fold under pressure like he does when not the aggressor on the feet. JDS has taken shots from some pretty big HW's and still come forward, if they get into an exchange Allistair will be the one losing.

Reem has to use his kicks, or eat a crap load of horse meat again :icon_evil:icon_evil:rolleyes:

This. Velasquez has way more chances to stop JDS than Overeem.

Has it escaped you that Junior Dos Santos is as close to a pure striker as the HW title has seen since the early days? (He's gone for ONE takedown in his UFC career--after he had already brutalized his opponent on the feet)

Two takedowns. And if the second one wasn't in the last 10 seconds, he wouldn't even have fought Velasquez.

If the JDS fight was Frank Mirs only lost, and the two other guys who made sense couldn't be booked? They probably make that fight, yes.

But it obviously wouldn't be Mir's only loss. So no, I don't think they make that fight. I think Mir gets Fitched/Rashad-ed in that case.

Buisness obviously plays a role in matchmaking decisions, however the JDS Cain rematch makes sense from a practical stand point as well.

Right. Good thing he beat Big Foot right? Because who'd JDS be fighting had he lost?

Gotta love the Latin flair to the song that they picked for the commercial, eh?

and werdum? it's so strangely ironic that jds' best win by far before carwin (and maybe even after carwin) was werdum, but werdum came into that fight so out of shape. He was not remotely the "killer" he's capable of being.

He was the killer that he is capable of being. Let's not make lame excuses for his defeat.

No. He's a top guy for sure. His chin is not the best and he doesn't have the heaviest hands.

people forget he only has 1 loss.

He decimated Brock, Big Foot Silva, and Big Nog.

The only impressive victory above is over Big Foot. Nog has beem washed up for 4-5 years now, and Lesnar was the biggest flash in the pan in UFC and MMA history. JDS got caught by a sub early in his career and has never been rocked. All that aside, the 2nd fight should be far better.

Actually, UFC was better served cuddling Brock more than anyone. The fact that they fed Brock to Cain seems to be rather odd if UFC really was trying to protect it's cash cows.

The UFC understood they couldn't coddle a guy as HW champ for any extended period of time. After his intense dislike/ability to take any punishment without giving up, it was over. Cain exposed that and Reem reiterated it. On a side note, it will be an injustice if Cormier doesn't get the winner of JDS-Cain.

He was the killer that he is capable of being. Let's not make lame excuses for his defeat.

Werdum was our of shape, took the fight lightly and wasn't nearly the fighter he is now. Jds wasn't the same fighter then he is now either.

It's not a "lame excuse" when it's the truth.

IMO he's the 2nd best fighter in the world until proven otherwise. He was overrated when people for some reason thought he was a great striker (I swear several people on here said he was the best striker ever when his strength is clearly his wrestling), but he's not overrated at all now.

and brock would still be champ if it wasn't for cain, whats your point?

or Overeem or almost certainly JDS. Most likely he'd need Werdum and Cormier not to exist as well :icon_lol:.

He was clearly saying he thinks Cain is the 2nd best fighter in the world not that he'd be champ if he hadn't lost.

But it obviously wouldn't be Mir's only loss. So no, I don't think they make that fight. I think Mir gets Fitched/Rashad-ed in that case.

Right. Good thing he beat Big Foot right? Because who'd JDS be fighting had he lost?

So you point is Cain is getting the title shot only because hes amexican, and hes also being coddled because.... hes Mexican, though you have no examples except some vaguely south/central American based music. The Asian tempo they used for a machida title bout years ago was clearly anthonly disguised attempt to rallybthe Asian American community.

Yes he is...he's a very good fighter, a solid top5 but people talk about him as he is the GOAT

I don't know about now. I'd say he is one of, if not the best HW in the world but nowhere near as good as Dana hyped him to be

Maybe because they are both Latin American fighters, or in the case of Cain i guess Latin American descent.

Meaning he's going to try to stand with WHOEVER he fights; and isn't there some guy on the roster who is a Monster who recently won a K1 Grand Prix and has been tearing through every HW he's fought in MMA like wet toilet paper?.

Your memory of Overeem fights goes back for one entire fight?

Velasquez is the only one capable of stopping JDS? Really?

Has it escaped you that Junior Dos Santos is as close to a pure striker as the HW title has seen since the early days? (He's gone for ONE takedown in his UFC career--after he had already brutalized his opponent on the feet)

Meaning he's going to try to stand with WHOEVER he fights; and isn't there some guy on the roster who is a Monster who recently won a K1 Grand Prix and has been tearing through every HW he's fought in MMA like wet toilet paper?

Anyone who doesn't think the Reem can stop JDS is poop on head stupid. That's like saying GSP can't takedown Nick Diaz.....

Took Carwin down twice in one fight.

So you point is Cain is getting the title shot only because hes amexican, and hes also being coddled because.... hes Mexican, though you have no examples except some vaguely south/central American based music. The Asian tempo they used for a machida title bout years ago was clearly anthonly disguised attempt to rallybthe Asian American community.

#1 I don't know what "anthonly" means or what you were going for there. You trying to say "a thinly"?

#2 I didn't say Cain is "only" getting a shot because he's Mexican. Being Mexican definitely isn't hurting him, considering the UFC wants to snatch Mexican fans from boxing.

#3 As far as the music for the commercial, yeah, that was deliberate I believe. IMO they secured a specific theme with the intent of attracting a certain audience. That's part of the job of music in that context.

And then there's this

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/uf...-fan-base-erik-perez-youtube-feature-2339079/

Last edited:
Back