Is Velasquez overrated?

Velasquez is legit. He holds wins over Big Nog, Brock and Bigfoot and he made it look easy.

Velasquez is the only one capable of stopping JDS. If the fight goes to the floor, make no mistake: Cain will do worse than what he did to Bigfoot.

Next morning I'll come here and find dozens of threads calling JDS overrated and unidimensional.

He is not very athletic, and is quite slow and plodding, so he is nothing special.

What makes you think he is not athletic? Because he ain't ripped? He sure is athletic to me, with the TDD against Brock.

A Mexican HW champion couldn't hurt. Considering that the HW championship is supposedly the most coveted in all of combat sports. That's a big deal to them Mexicans!!

Cain was born and raised in the USA as far as I know.

Not even close u can't compare the list of killers jds went through to cains wins.

take it easy there Joe Rogan....

Yes you can compare them because going into their first fight, Cain and JDS had very close resumes, with people being able to make an argument for either man.

and it hasn't changed much since.

Before their first fight:

Cain big wins were:
Lesnar
Nog
Rothwell
Kongo

JDS' big wins were:
Carwin
Nelson
Gonzaga
Crocop
Werdum

So where this list of killers you're talking about? Carwin.. ok Carwin was pretty damn good, we'll ignore that he was coming off a year layoff but yeah he was great.

but who else on that list deserves to be called a killer? Not nelson... not gonzaga (not after he had already become famous for his glass chin at that point) not crocop (who was waaaayyy past his prime when they fight and so gunshy he would barely pull the trigger. I'd be surprised if he threw much more than 7 or 8 punches a round in that fight..if that)

and werdum? it's so strangely ironic that jds' best win by far before carwin (and maybe even after carwin) was werdum, but werdum came into that fight so out of shape. He was not remotely the "killer" he's capable of being. This was well before his muay thai had developed and his striking was still weak, and he came into the fight so heavy that even joe rogan mentioned it BEFORE the fight started.

sorry. that's not a list of killers at all. and it's certainly not non comparable to cain's list.

Cain just beat Lesnar who was on a 3 title fight streak and had survived against the man believed to be MMA's best finisher (carwin came into their fight 12-0 with 12 round 1 finishes remember)

cain beat nog, fresh off his very nice win over randy couture

cain beat a particularly sharp kongo, who came in on a 3 fight winning streak of all brutal finishes (literally his best wins in the UFC outside of the crocop fight)

and cain beat ben rothwell, when he was 14-1 in his last 15 fights with the only loss being to the arlovski that was steamrolling onto his way to the Fedor fight.

So yeah... it's a little silly to say their lists can't be compared, and even more silly to say Junior's is a list of "killers"

I do not think he is overrated, I believe people over hyped him as a world beating HW in line with Fedor at the time of the Brock fight.

Turns out he is just a very good HW that needs to sort out his striking game.

I still believe that Cormier > Velasquez though....

Velasquez is the only one capable of stopping JDS. If the fight goes to the floor, make no mistake: Cain will do worse than what he did to Bigfoot.

Next morning I'll come here and find dozens of threads calling JDS overrated and unidimensional.

Velasquez is the only one capable of stopping JDS? Really?

Has it escaped you that Junior Dos Santos is as close to a pure striker as the HW title has seen since the early days? (He's gone for ONE takedown in his UFC career--after he had already brutalized his opponent on the feet)

Meaning he's going to try to stand with WHOEVER he fights; and isn't there some guy on the roster who is a Monster who recently won a K1 Grand Prix and has been tearing through every HW he's fought in MMA like wet toilet paper?

Anyone who doesn't think the Reem can stop JDS is poop on head stupid. That's like saying GSP can't takedown Nick Diaz.....

Is Velasquez overrated?
NO!
Most of the mma rankings have him at #2 HW, which is exactly where he should be objectively right now.
However, I believe that he will soon be #3, because Overeem will likely beat him.

Has it escaped you that Junior Dos Santos is as close to a pure striker as the HW title has seen since the early days? (He's gone for ONE takedown in his UFC career--after he had already brutalized his opponent on the feet)

Meaning he's going to try to stand with WHOEVER he fights; and isn't there some guy on the roster who is a Monster who recently won a K1 Grand Prix and has been tearing through every HW he's fought in MMA like wet toilet paper?

Anyone who doesn't think the Reem can stop JDS is poop on head stupid. That's like saying GSP can't takedown Nick Diaz.....

Reem was walking backwards and scared to engage Werdum, JDS is going to time that uppercut to the body and watch Reem fold under pressure like he does when not the aggressor on the feet. JDS has taken shots from some pretty big HW's and still come forward, if they get into an exchange Allistair will be the one losing.

Reem has to use his kicks, or eat a crap load of horse meat again :icon_evil:icon_evil:rolleyes:

shogun_overeem.gif

How can he be overrated if a man has got a single loss, and that loss comes to a man who is a current champion. How is this overrated to you?

I think Reem is a good fighter, but no match for JDS, the only question with Rim is his kicks, those are good.

Back in '09 I honestly thought he was overhyped, but to be honest, his resume is only slightly below JDS's. They're both pretty much tested, although neither has it cleaned out.

Every single fighter in the history of MMA is overrated.

Can't wait until JDS/Reem fight so I can see what excuses come out of your mouth when Reem folds. That will be priceless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back