Is UFC a "fight" to you?

To paraphrase the late, great Jack Dempsey: "You've got gloves, rounds, and a referee. That ain't real fighting."

The sport of mma, while more closely resembling actual hand-to-hand combat than any other sport, is still just that: a sport.

Yes controlled fight, but I know what TS is saying. I've made this point before when someone wins a decision by winning 2 rounds but if you just look at it as a fight the winner got his ass kicked.

it's both. it's retarded to say it's not a fight because it has rules is retarded. MMA is a fight, kickboxing is a fight, boxing is a fight. anyone who says those guys aren't fighters is retarded.

"it's not swimming bro, they're in a fucking pool. real swimming only happens in the sea, with sharks around" retarded isn't it?

it's both. it's retarded to say it's not a fight because it has rules is retarded. MMA is a fight, kickboxing is a fight, boxing is a fight. anyone who says those guys aren't fighters is retarded.

"it's not swimming bro, they're in a fucking pool. real swimming only happens in the sea, with sharks around" retarded isn't it?

real running isn't on an artificial man made track / street.

have you ever seen cain velasquez fight? cain in the octagon is like pure violence . i dont think cain should be allowed to fight anyone but alistar or JDS otherwise its a crime because he is on another level of punishment.

Are you trolling...? I don't quite understand you. I said recently ie the jds fight. Junior was gassed in the second. Cain couldn't finish in 4 rounds. FOUR ROUNDS against a guy who was beaten up... and ur calling that another level of violence? Give me a break. Cain is pillow fisted and probably the least dangerous champion there is (aside from dom) and that's pathetic considering he's a HW

I miss PRIDE rules. Anymore I barely care who wins. I just want to see a good fight, and usually I'm disappointed. MMA is almost completely dead for me. This will probably be my last year.

ironically Pride's rope restarts, where they'd stop fighting, move over a few feet, and get back in the same position before restarting, took the "real fight" aspect out of it more for me than anything the UFC does

Well fucking said,

I was never an MMA fan while pride was alive but when I go back and watch it that shit bugs the hell out of me.

The ref was a major part in every fight, as he would decide when to restart and when not, I would say the UFC has easily less than half the restarts.

When the Diaz bros are fighting, hell yes

When GSP fights, hit the snooze for me ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ

Nice try, but no it doesn't. That's where you're both wrong. The wrestlers would get knocked out before even getting the fight to the ground. And if they by chance, get the fight to the ground, the knees from them would actually leave themselves opened to getting countered. There is little to no openings when a wrestler is laying n praying on top position with their face pinned down on the opponent's chest. By attempting to throw knees, that would leave them opened for a counter. That's why knees to a downed opponent won't favor wrestlers at all, it's easier to counter that than LnP, and fighters will learn ways to counter that very quickly.

If you watch a bit more MMA, you'll note that for instance, when GSP or Lesnar or Hughes do doubles in MMA, their knees don't touch the ground - you only have to do that if your opponent is crouched over as in various grappling competitions. So every one of GSP's opponents, and Lesnar's, and Matt Hughes, could have thrown knees to try to stop the shot. And yet GSP has something like 80% success rate with his shots, and his percentage is going up, not down. Doesn't that make you suspect that it might actually be a lot harder to do than it looks like from the safety of your couch?

Saying hit the guy with a knee when he comes in is prime "anti-grappling" Kung-fu youtube instructional stuff. It says a lot of your understanding that you seem to believe it really works that way. Try training a bit, and you'll understand why in practice its very hard to time an incoming knee onto a shot (and like I said, its perfectly legal for most MMA doubles, because they don't go down to their knee).

Not sure about countering knees to the head from North-South, I'll have to try that in the gym. I suspect its not as easy to counter as you think, but I'll have to play with it a bit to see.

If you watch a bit more MMA, you'll note that for instance, when GSP or Lesnar or Hughes do doubles in MMA, their knees don't touch the ground - you only have to do that if your opponent is crouched over as in various grappling competitions. So every one of GSP's opponents, and Lesnar's, and Matt Hughes, could have thrown knees to try to stop the shot. And yet GSP has something like 80% success rate with his shots, and his percentage is going up, not down. Doesn't that make you suspect that it might actually be a lot harder to do than it looks like from the safety of your couch?

Saying hit the guy with a knee when he comes in is prime "anti-grappling" Kung-fu youtube instructional stuff. It says a lot of your understanding that you seem to believe it really works that way. Try training a bit, and you'll understand why in practice its very hard to time an incoming knee onto a shot (and like I said, its perfectly legal for most MMA doubles, because they don't go down to their knee).

Not sure about countering knees to the head from North-South, I'll have to try that in the gym. I suspect its not as easy to counter as you think, but I'll have to play with it a bit to see.

Seriously, how many instances do we see a wrestler just sitting comfortably with his head down hanging onto a single leg? And the fighter defending the takedown is about ready to let the knees fly but the wrestler has 1 finger touching the matte, which protects him under the 3 point stance rule. Eliminate the fear of getting a point deducted for kneeing a downed opponent, and the wrestlers will get lit up trying to shoot for a takedown.

Even if the wrestler is using knees to a downed opponent, that would leave them a huge opening for being countered or swept. Guys aren't just gonna lay on their backs waiting to get knee'd in the head. They will evolve with the rule and use methods to counter when the wrestler over-commits to the knee and misses.

Back