Is UFC a "fight" to you?

UFC is a premier combat sport where the best from around the world gather to compete not for fame but for PRIDE, such as Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mirko Crocop, Anderson Silva, Quinton Rampage Jackson, Mark Hunt, Mark Coleman, Shogun Rua, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Ryo Chonan, Takanori Gomi, Heath Herring, Renzo Gracie, Carlos Newton, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum, Hector Lombard, etc.

Unfortuately, nowdays with the Unified Rules in place, it's become a technical competition, to the chagrin to the true "fighters" that are still in the sport, and many of us fans.

To be at the top of the chain, besides probably Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo, you need to be acutely aware of the scoring of the fight, and fighting to win rounds much more so that fighting to finish. It really is a technical competition more than it is a real FIGHT, like the old days were.

Its certainly not a sport either though, its a technical competition based on martial arts

I think things could move towards a fight, if the rules were aligned to the spirit of fighting, and tweaked to reward things in the spirit of Vale Tudo. Less exploitable as a means of winning rounds/fighting for points, and would encourage fighters to truly FIGHT, rather than form gameplans for the sole purpose of appeasing the judges

Yes, I often miss the glory days. I still like it now, but it could be much better with some adjustments

My 2c

When you watch the UFC, do you feel like you are watching a fight or just a competition between 2 guys?

Depends who is fighting.

If Edgar or MM are in the cage, NO WAY.

If most other guys in the UFC are in the cage, yea, it's a fight.
(But there is always some element of point scoring within that. Guys will surprise their opponent in the middle of a standup fight and get a TD, but not use the TD, etc).

But with guys like Edgar and MM, the entire contest has come scoring points.

It used to be fighting and that's why it got banned in the first place. Now it's as BJ said in his first post.

joe+son+vs+hackney+groin+shot.gif

very rarely do i consider it a fight. it is more like an exercise in strategy and figuring out how to best impress the judges

Back