Is UFC a "fight" to you?

Depending on the match. If the referee has trouble seperating the fighters between rounds, or there seems to be genuine disdain toward one another, then yes it is more like a fight. But most fighters have grown accustomed to the competitive aspect. Diaz brothers not so much.

It's not a fight unless its on YouTube and the people involved have no idea what they're doing.

Fights in their very nature are based on competitiveness in one way or another. It is a sport as well, but yeah when the goal is to render the other man unconscious, it feels like a fight to me lol

Tank Abbott in the early days.not anymore

Its a sport fight. Its not a full out, real fight - according to crime stats, those typically involve weapons and numbers. But its still a fight. Same thing as a fight in hockey - its still called a fight, though they're pretty limited (if they were really serious they'd be swinging sticks and kicking with the skates etc, and everyone would jump in - which used to happen come to think of it).

Ultimately, its an athletic contest of course. As soon as there's a referee in there to enforce the rules, that's a given.

But its much more entertaining than real fights. In the papers there was a real fight in Calgary at a party the other night, and a kid died from knife wounds trying to get some guys to leave. Nothing fun about that, for participants or spectators.

a fight is with no official rules, so i would say i think of it more as a competition

It's not a fight but it never was.

It was always a sport.

Fight.

It should be a fight. Ultimate FIGHTING championship.

Unfortunately we are plagued with "competitors" and gsp, jon fitch, and recently cain type mentality where its better to be safe and win on points.

It's a fight to me and I bet if you asked all the professional fighters in the world that question, the majority would say it's a fight to them as well.

When classy technichians go at it, its a sport. when its two guys in a slug fest, its a fight.

cain type mentality where its better to be safe and win on points.

What a fitting name you've got there.

Now when someone uses all of the facets of fighting to their advantage, it's no longer a fight?
Without the wrestling/grappling aspect of fighting, it would be a kickboxing match.

i feel like im watching professional athletes trained in different disciples competing to showcase their abilities.

Fight.

It should be a fight. Ultimate FIGHTING championship.

Unfortunately we are plagued with "competitors" and gsp, jon fitch, and recently cain type mentality where its better to be safe and win on points.

have you ever seen cain velasquez fight? cain in the octagon is like pure violence . i dont think cain should be allowed to fight anyone but alistar or JDS otherwise its a crime because he is on another level of punishment.

Other rules hinder fighters with a strong top game like knees to the head of a downed opponent.

Knees to the head favor wrestlers way more than strikers.

Nice try, but no it doesn't. That's where you're both wrong. The wrestlers would get knocked out before even getting the fight to the ground. And if they by chance, get the fight to the ground, the knees from them would actually leave themselves opened to getting countered. There is little to no openings when a wrestler is laying n praying on top position with their face pinned down on the opponent's chest. By attempting to throw knees, that would leave them opened for a counter. That's why knees to a downed opponent won't favor wrestlers at all, it's easier to counter that than LnP, and fighters will learn ways to counter that very quickly.

Nice try, but no it doesn't. That's where you're both wrong. The wrestlers would get knocked out before even getting the fight to the ground. And if they by chance, get the fight to the ground, the knees from them would actually leave themselves opened to getting countered or swept. There is little to no openings when a wrestler is laying n praying on top position with their face pinned down on the opponent's chest. By attempting to throw knees, that would leave them opened for a counter. That's why knees to a downed opponent won't favor wrestlers at all, it's easier to counter that than LnP.

Back