Is UFC 301 a fight night level card?

There's no way you could put this many cards together with the past roster tbh sir.
Certainly wouldn't have had a bunch of stacked cards.

@Poirierfan
100%. As the volume of cards has increased, it was inevitable there was going to be less stacked cards. I personally enjoy having cards nearly every weekend but it’s certainly true the quality of most is below that of the past. That’s the trade off.

100%. As the volume of cards has increased, it was inevitable there was going to be less stacked cards. I personally enjoy having cards nearly every weekend but it’s certainly true the quality of most is below that of the past. That’s the trade off.

Yeah but then you get stretches like 298, 299, 300 and it makes up for some of the mush sir lol.

I mean let's not pretend McKinney vs Esteban and Chase vs Slava Claus aren't amazing fights <BC1>

Point I was making is that not every PPV has to have multiple title fights for it to be a great card. People have a certain nostalgia for the older era of PPVs making it seem like they were loaded top to bottom, when in reality a lot of them were closer in quality to today's road show Fight Nights.

Without the the title fight could this be an absolutely loaded Fight Night? Sure, but let's not pretend that this card is on the level of any of the upcoming fights nights (not including the Saudi Arabia card, since that one is a title fight short of a PPV).
WITH the title fight it's a stacked fight night. DJ used to headline fight nights all the time. Outside of the main event there is only one fighter in the top 10 and it's Anthony Smith at no 10. And the title challenger is only at no 10 as well.

Yeah but then you get stretches like 298, 299, 300 and it makes up for some of the mush sir lol.
Some of these Fight Night cards are pretty weak, but that’s what you gotta do to have these stacked cards. Simply not enough talent to make every card high quality. 301 is a bit of casualty of this as well, but the next few PPVs look pretty solid.

Some of these Fight Night cards are pretty weak, but that’s what you gotta do to have these stacked cards. Simply not enough talent to make every card high quality. 301 is a bit of casualty of this as well, but the next few PPVs look pretty solid.

Yeah I'll still watch it though lol.
Next few are lookin up for sure.

Yeah, the old fight night cards were better than most modern ppv's. Some people don't like to admit it but it's true. Back then the UFC had to put out quality before ESPN came along, it doesn't effect them anymore if they put out shit cards.

It's a myth.

The espn contract has only required roughly 1 additional event per year to fulfill the alleged requirements of UFC's TV deal with ESPN.

I mean let's not pretend McKinney vs Esteban and Chase vs Slava Claus aren't amazing fights <BC1>

Point I was making is that not every PPV has to have multiple title fights for it to be a great card. People have a certain nostalgia for the older era of PPVs making it seem like they were loaded top to bottom, when in reality a lot of them were closer in quality to today's road show Fight Nights.

Without the the title fight could this be an absolutely loaded Fight Night? Sure, but let's not pretend that this card is on the level of any of the upcoming fights nights (not including the Saudi Arabia card, since that one is a title fight short of a PPV).

Heh, I appreciate that you're honest about the amazing matchup that is McKinney vs Esteban and Chase vs Slava Claus.

But come on, UFC 301 is on or below the level of the following:

UFC Fight Night: Moreno vs. Royval 2
UFC on ESPN: Dariush vs. Tsarukyan
or the undercard of 299:
1714598143561-png.1041984

I'm not looking back to 2018 or 2008, these free fights are from this year and they are nearly as good as the PPV portion of 301.

Attachments

• 1714598143561.png
    1714598143561.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 20
WITH the title fight it's a stacked fight night. DJ used to headline fight nights all the time. Outside of the main event there is only one fighter in the top 10 and it's Anthony Smith at no 10. And the title challenger is only at no 10 as well.
Respectfully disagree in regard to it being similar to current fight night cards. The only current fight night that I would put up to this one is Noche. Good point with the DJ cards. I think that was occurring as the UFC was trying to break in to the mainstream and would try to stack their broadcast TV cards to build their fanbase. Either way, we get to see some awesome fights and if Aldo gets the W, you'll be able to feel the energy through the screen. Can't wait!

Heh, I appreciate that you're honest about the amazing matchup that is McKinney vs Esteban and Chase vs Slava Claus.

But come on, UFC 301 is on or below the level of the following:

UFC Fight Night: Moreno vs. Royval 2
UFC on ESPN: Dariush vs. Tsarukyan
or the undercard of 299:
1714598143561-png.1041984

I'm not looking back to 2018 or 2008, these free fights are from this year and they are nearly as good as the PPV portion of 301.
No argument from me that if you put a title fight atop the 299 undercard that it would be PPV quality. Insane that we got 299/300 cards back to back.

Also how great is it that we get cards like Dariush vs Tsarukyan are on regular tv? Back in the day fights like Dariush vs Tsarukyan would have headlined PPVs.

It's going to do TERRIBLE in sales, but it has great fights if you actually like fighting.

Respectfully disagree in regard to it being similar to current fight night cards. The only current fight night that I would put up to this one is Noche. Good point with the DJ cards. I think that was occurring as the UFC was trying to break in to the mainstream and would try to stack their broadcast TV cards to build their fanbase. Either way, we get to see some awesome fights and if Aldo gets the W, you'll be able to feel the energy through the screen. Can't wait!

I didn't say it's similar to current fight nights, I said it would be a stacked fight night. I even brought up UFC Noche already in comparison. The current trend of fight nights has been mostly dogshit Apex cards with the best ones being when they travel out of Vegas and have to sell tickets.

What it is however is the weakest PPV we have had in several years.

It's a myth.

The espn contract has only required roughly 1 additional event per year to fulfill the alleged requirements of UFC's TV deal with ESPN.
The biggest change has been the introduction of the Apex. They no longer have to fill out venues so the only thing they have to worry about is meeting the requirements of their ESPN+ deal. With ticket sales no longer a concern they don't have to put good fights or names on these fight nights.

I really do wonder what the actual ratings are. They don't seem to be driving subscribers to ESPN+ anymore but I don't see any sign of ESPN renegotiating a lower deal. Maybe the PPVs are making up for it.

What it is however is the weakest PPV we have had in several years.
If you have short term memory maybe.

I Think it's was better than 297, I live in toronto And didn't really even want to go lol.

Unknown? Maybe. but I'd actually say pantoja is the absolute most proven Champion in the sport today, other than only Jon jones of course.

That makes no sense. He has a loss against a retired fighter who was cut for no reason and Figgy. And Jones was not a proven champ, he was a proven cheat.

Unknown? Maybe. but I'd actually say pantoja is the absolute most proven Champion in the sport today, other than only Jon jones of course.
Oh... That's an interesting take, if you're actually serious and not trolling. Don't really want to get into details, because no one would agree with you anyways, but let's just say, most people would define a proven champion as someone who has had at least a couple of title defenses (and didn't win their title on a close split decision).

But I'm sure you have some esoteric criteria that makes total sense to you, but just know that very few people would say "Pantoja is the absolute most proven Champion in the sport today."

Leon Edwards obviously. But even if he were more proven than all others who just won their title, that just means all of them are unproven.

Yeah, the old fight night cards were better than most modern ppv's. Some people don't like to admit it but it's true. Back then the UFC had to put out quality before ESPN came along, it doesn't effect them anymore if they put out shit cards.
Complete and utter bullshit

If you have short term memory maybe.

I Think it's was better than 297, I live in toronto And didn't really even want to go lol.
297 had 2 title fights, a way better main event with the clearcut number one contender fighting for the title, Evloev v Allen who are higher ranked than anyone on 301 except the champ, and Gatekeeper Magny fighting a hot prospect.

297 had 2 title fights, a way better main event with the clearcut number one contender fighting for the title, Evloev v Allen who are higher ranked than anyone on 301 except the champ, and Gatekeeper Magny fighting a hot prospect.
1714604732392.gif

Back