Media Is this why Alex Pereira hits so hard? - Firas Zahabi on Alex Pereira

i don't get why Firas is so obssessed on how the punch landed. he's really acting like Pereira meant to punch him with his pinky? it's a fight my dude, he's trying to land with ANY part of his fist.

is he going to analyze the Rothwell KO of Schaub and obssess over how Rothwell KO'd him with a closed fist bitch slap?

i thought it was interesting until he said he'll have to go back and watch footage to see if he lands ALL his KO's with his pinky... lmao

I’ve never heard the term “Mexican-hook” and it pertaining to that angle thrown he shows, that seem’s more “shovel” variation than anything

When I was in Cuba boxing, the lead-hook was shown as the only punch that can hit all three ranges. Short, medium, and long

Whereas the straight punches were for medium and long ranges, and the uppercut was for medium to short ranges

Shoveling a punch from downward to up motions give you more variety in attacks and allows you to penetrate guards by angling into a hole

Poatan throws a shovel hook or “Mexican hook” which is sort of inbetween a hook and uppercut, and it has a little bit more range than a normal hook

He hit Jamahal with the pinky knuckle which many would say is incorrect but Firaz quotes Jack Dempsey in explaining that the pinky runs linear with your forearm and so hitting with it can generate more power than the front knuckles
"A boxer's fracture" is literally a name for fracturing your pinky knuckle.

You can certainly hit hard with the pinky knuckle but I don't think that's really ever been the question, it's the damage you sustain from hitting with your pinky knuckle.

Alex' punch against Jamahal was in fact a shovel hook, not Mexican hook.

Also, while the pointer-finger knuckle is not aligned with the wrist bone, the middle-finger knuckle is directly aligned with the thicker of the two wrist bones (the radius), which is more massive than the outer wrist bone (the ulna), with which the pinky-knuckle is aligned.

So I agree and disagree.

Watch Robbie Lawler throw the shovel punch, its definitely different.

You are right. Poatan did not use a shovel hook as can be seen on this video, but he is also not throwing the punch the motion Firas is demonstrating, but he looks to be correct on the knuckles.

Good eye sir.
That's why youre the fuckin Dr around here ;)

Hmm. I was taught that it was like a liver shot. So when you take a fist and aim it at the lower rib cage at an angle of follow through toward the opposite shoulder.

Maybe I need to rewatch the motion and angle of the strike.

? Body shot sir.

He just transfers power extremely well, and has amazing torque in his shots.

I dont think the knuckles has much to do with in this case.

I read that book before, dont agree with everything in it, but the falling thing is definietly worth thinking about. His comments on foot work is less on point though from what I remember.

? Body shot sir.
Sorry, I was trying to described how I was told to throw a shovel hook, which was drilled into me as a shot for trying to get the delayed ko from a liver shot (or spleen if on the other side). It is explained in this clip at about the 5 minute mark.

Because he know how to put his weight into his punches unlike tons of mma fighters.

No need boring Firas to explain that. This guy is Canadian Chael always saying stuff in circle even though it can be explained in 2 minutes.
What are your qualifications? Ever train, fight, or coach?
Cause if not, you sound like an arrogant, Dunning-Kruger twat.

Another theory is that a life time of practicing archery helped Pereira condition his punching power.

Sorry, I was trying to described how I was told to throw a shovel hook, which was drilled into me as a shot for trying to get the delayed ko from a liver shot (or spleen if on the other side). It is explained in this clip at about the 5 minute mark.

Ok yeah... that's makes much more sense niw lmao

It's the power from Alex's Ass and Legs... dude was designed by God for fighting. Watch how walks around in the cage. Not like how a normal human walks.

Man tiktok has really fucking done a number on kids these days if a 6 min video is too long

Not sure I 100% agree with Firas though.

Back