Is this the best 'grappling' fight in MMA?

Saku vs. Newton should not be considered an MMA fight... not gonna go out and say it was a work, but it was a grappling match at best
Was Brennan Ward vs Awad a "MMA fight"? Crocop vs Barry? etc

Last edited:
Fair point, won’t argue
Wasn't trying to be a debbie-downer, that fights just always seems weird to me... still a cool grappling exhibition and doesn't take anything away from the awesomeness of Sakuraba, in my eyes

Matt Lindland vs Joe Doerksen was a good one too

All the Karo/Diego/Nick fights had amazing grappling

Just watched Diego Sanchez vs Nick Diaz, and I am blown away at the amount of skill they have shown in that fight. Diego got multiple takedowns, stacked Nick and landed some good GnP, but Diaz had multiple reversals, got his own takedowns and went for leglocks, omoplata and shown great wrist control from the bottom as well as landing a viscious upkick in the 2nd round.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sanchez 30-27 no controversy. Definition of a great fight! Anyone agree?

PM me if u wanna see the 'highlights'.

Warch karo vs Diaz and karo vs Sanchez
Same quality of grappling

Couture vs Van Arsdale was a good grappling match until Van Arsdale gassed out

Tokoro vs Menjivar had alot of great grappling exchanges.

Aoki vs Uno was pretty one sided, but a great display of grappling from 2 high level guys.

AptAlertHornedviper.gif

One of the slickest triangle set ups ive ever seen. (Uno somehow still escapes)

Diego was a motherfucker in his hay-day, vastly underrated top-notch grappler.

Saku vs. Newton should not be considered an MMA fight... not gonna go out and say it was a work, but it was a grappling match at best

Meh

It was a gentleman's agreement. If they had gone the other way and agreed to slug it out you would have never made this claim

Buscape/Azeredo
Ishida/Melendez 1
Edgar/Griffin
Gurgel/Robinson

all had some very fast paced grappling exchanges...

I’ve personally always loved Arona/Lister and Shamrock/Severn 1 even though they are really slow paced bouts.

Just watched Diego Sanchez vs Nick Diaz, and I am blown away at the amount of skill they have shown in that fight. Diego got multiple takedowns, stacked Nick and landed some good GnP, but Diaz had multiple reversals, got his own takedowns and went for leglocks, omoplata and shown great wrist control from the bottom as well as landing a viscious upkick in the 2nd round.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sanchez 30-27 no controversy. Definition of a great fight! Anyone agree?

PM me if u wanna see the 'highlights'.
Hook me up with those highlights sheBro

Tokoro vs Menjivar had alot of great grappling exchanges.

Aoki vs Uno was pretty one sided, but a great display of grappling from 2 high level guys.

AptAlertHornedviper.gif

One of the slickest triangle set ups ive ever seen. (Uno somehow still escapes)

Add Tokoro vs Cullum and Tokoro vs Uyenoyama. In fact, I might as well say that Tokoro is the most underrated entertaining grappler to fight the fight with him against Davis, Oishi 2, Nogueira, and Yamamoto 1.

Edit: I'll even recommend Vieira vs Obiya

I remember being surprised how easy Diego made it look. Maia/Shields lived up to the hype though and is probably #1.

Edgar vs Griffin always comes to mind.

Back