Is this the best 'grappling' fight in MMA?

Indeed, 'confirmed', my good friend.

This is exactly why Busta would criticize Toquinho (& finally split with him) when he would go too hard durin´ sparring, fully lockin´ leg locks & potentially injurin´ his trainin´partners.
You have top know that this is the exception, not the rule... argue whatever you want, but getting hit in the head is always going to be worse than grappling with the option to tap out before anything serious happens.

Yes there are the rare occasions like Palhares... but there's also a reason someone under UFC contract can still compete in a grappling tournament but not a kickboxing bout.

You have top know that this is the exception, not the rule... argue whatever you want, but getting hit in the head is always going to be worse than grappling with the option to tap out before anything serious happens.

Yes there are the rare occasions like Palhares... but there's also a reason someone under UFC contract can still compete in a grappling tournament but not a kickboxing bout.
hmm..nah.

A TKO & a knee injury due to a kneebar or a broken arm due to a kimura (see vs Henzo) are qualitatively different since, and especially in the 2000s, such an injury can sideline you during months.

Anyway, both are indeed 'dangerous' and this alone invalidates your original statement.

Satoropolous (spelling? lol) had some surprisingly great grappling battles while in the UFC.

The best grappling is dominant and mistake free. I think the TS means most entertaining mma match that is mostly grappling.

Saku vs Newton
Frank Shamrock vs Jeremy Horn
Hellboy vs Azeredo

I still think Shields/Maia is a grappling masterclass of a fight. It went all five and I enjoyed it immensely at the time.
That was such an underrated scrap -- straight up grind from both guys. That fight was everything I hoped for.

I still think Shields/Maia is a grappling masterclass of a fight. It went all five and I enjoyed it immensely at the time.

On paper. Shields was stalling on top a lot if memory serves me right. I had Maia winning too.

Of ones not mentioned yet I liked.

Jon Fitch Vs Erick Silva
Ben Nguyen Vs Louis Smolka

I vaguely remember Maia vs Jason McDonald being not bad.

Nogueira/Barnett 1
Damien Maia/Jason MacDonald
Aoki/JZ
Couture/Van Arsdale was a good wrestling centric MMA fight.

Came to say Maia/MacDonald

Grove vs Herman TUF 3 finale was pretty tight too..

Awesome fight!

check out clay guida vs Tyson griffin sometime, great grappling

Add Tokoro vs Cullum and Tokoro vs Uyenoyama. In fact, I might as well say that Tokoro is the most underrated entertaining grappler to fight the fight with him against Davis, Oishi 2, Nogueira, and Yamamoto 1.

Edit: I'll even recommend Vieira vs Obiya

Tokoro is definitely one of the most entertaining grapplers to watch in MMA.

Diego was a motherfucker in his hay-day, vastly underrated top-notch grappler.

People have no idea how gifted a grappler Diego was. Here's him as a PURPLE BELT at ADCC in '05 vs prime Marcelo.

For reference, here is Marcelo later the same tourney vs Aoki, who so many try to claim as MMA grappling royalty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back