• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

is there anything Poatan can do to overtake Bones as the goat LHW?

I guess technically it’s not impossible if he fights 3-4 times a year for the next 3-4 years with a 75% finish rate…but it’s .001% that he does that.

No.

Even if he managed a bunch of defenses, he likely won't exceed Jones' run...and then there is the question of matching the calibre of competition.

The number of champions who fell to Jones is astounding.

Reactions: JKS
No.

If he took all of the worlds cocaine it would not be enough.

Maurício Rua
Quinton Jackson
Lyoto Machida
Rashad Evans
Vitor Belfort
Chael Sonnen
Alexander Gustafsson
Glover Teixeira
Daniel Cormier

Already beat Jiri (Machida equivalent)
Jan was as good a win as Gus
Hill will be as good a win as Rashad

I don't think the division has similar talent to compare to the rest. There is definitely no one close to the level of DC.
He beat Izzy who's an all time great but that's at MW not LHW

Triple Champ status puts him in line for MMA GOAT imo, kinda hard to top

Triple champ means nothing other than that you were given three title shots and made the most of them. It's keeping a belt for a decade that defines a legacy, not division hopping.

Not realistically. He's too old and just got started.

Not one single thing. Plus there are about 10 guys he has to pass before he even gets to Jones.

Pereira can be in the discussion regarding an overall Combat GOAT (dual Champion, across two Platforms) ... but as far as LHW UFC Champion, specifically, Alex has no chance to touch Jones.

Conversely, Jones has only dominated one niche in Combat Sports (LHW, and mostly against smaller, aging middleweights), so as an overall combatant, Alex is arguably more accomplished.
Facts

Win a few fights without testing positive for banned substances and he should be fine.

He can't surpass Jones as a LHW, but he could pass him on the pound 4 pound list if he were to win the heavyweight title and become 3 division champ.

Like most have said, I think it's too late at this stage
Even clearing the division at this point I dint think there's even enough top names to beat the run Jones has (Shogun, machida, dc, Evans, Jackson etc)
Still incredible fighter

He got into the UFC way too late. However Jones has enough haters that some will grasp at Poatan as their GOAT so whatever...

Triple champ means nothing other than that you were given three title shots and made the most of them. It's keeping a belt for a decade that defines a legacy, not division hopping.
Grabbing 3 belts in like 2 years would be fucking bananas, and a feat i doubt would be replicated

I dont think Pereira nabs the HW title, or even secures a shot. But especially getting the belt at the 3 heaviest weight classes...Jones took a decade to move up. If Alex just floats around starching dudes regardless of the scale. Thats wild

Back