Is there anyone in MMA that has impressed you with their boxing

Getting to the point where you can box like a top 10 boxer and deciding to stay in MMA would be like getting your law degree, passing the Bar exam and electing to stay at Dairy Queen, the job that helped pay for law school!

If I could have that fit in a sig, I would.

Lil Evil. and Paul Buentello.. i hardly watch UFC and i dont know who this Buentello fellow is. But i seen him throwing hands against some guy on Spike TV and i was pretty impressed. I consider myself to be a technique nazi also.

That Tim Sylvia feller has done pretty well for himself.

The irony to your post is that Hunt himself is actually a better example of how far being a strait boxer with little skills in anything else can get you in the min-fight sports.
A top 5 contender in MMA very fast, and all the way to champion in K-1 Kickboxing.

Hunt was not a typical boxer however. He was a freak of nature who was extremely strong and built like a tank - this probably helped him a lot in his MMA career as well. I remember him taking down Fedor and Overeem (helped him a lot against AO lol) and throwing Le Banner to the ground twice in their last K1 encounter.

It’s true that boxing means very little when the match goes to the ground and you have no complimentary skills to avoid a submission and regain your feel, but all that is fairly easy to learn (It’s not as though MMA fighters are all Rode Scholars), because it’s organic procedure as opposed to being a skill of innate acumen, such as timing.

"Fairly easy to learn"? Upon what are you basing this statement? You can't really insert a phrase like "organic procedure" to contrast "innate acumen" when comparing grappling and boxing. It's an absurdly poor reduction. Grappling at even a rudimentary level requires a great deal of coordination and timing to accompany the "organic procedure", whatever the hell that means.

Naturally, if any of them were world class they’d be boxing instead.

Getting to the point where you can box like a top 10 boxer and deciding to stay in MMA would be like getting your law degree, passing the Bar exam and electing to stay at Dairy Queen, the job that helped pay for law school!

You're operating in a world where money is the sole factor in determining an athlete's career choices... and you're telling us to "be real"? An athlete that is completely defined by whoever is willing to put the most 0's on his paycheck is a bitch... nothing more than a dog that stays with whoever puts food in the bowl. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some people want to fight instead of seek worldly gain... and that THAT might perhaps be a more noble endeavor than "going where the money is"?

You're operating in a world where money is the sole factor in determining an athlete's career choices... and you're telling us to "be real"? An athlete that is completely defined by whoever is willing to put the most 0's on his paycheck is a bitch... nothing more than a dog that stays with whoever puts food in the bowl. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some people want to fight instead of seek worldly gain... and that THAT might perhaps be a more noble endeavor than "going where the money is"?

...if that were the case, why even pay an MMA fighter? Why even bother, when they just want to fight? Why don't these national champion wrestlers and world champ BJJers just keep doing tournaments in their respective fields if it wasn't for "going where the money is"? If the Vikings decided to let Lesnar play instead of trying to send him to NFL Europe first, you think he'd be in the UFC today?

HINT: it's not for lack of competitors.

...if that were the case, why even pay an MMA fighter? Why even bother, when they just want to fight? Why don't these national champion wrestlers and world champ BJJers just keep doing tournaments in their respective fields if it wasn't for "going where the money is"? If the Vikings decided to let Lesnar play instead of trying to send him to NFL Europe first, you think he'd be in the UFC today?

HINT: it's not for lack of competitors.

??? I'm not even sure what you're asking. He made the point that if a person has the requisite skills, they will eschew personal preference and seek out the most money that can be made using said skills. To which I replied that fighters obviously do not prioritize money; they utilize their skills in the sport which they prefer, and which typically earns them enough money to train full time/survive. The argument that "all skilled athletes seek out high paying sports like basketball/boxing" is pathetic. This is like saying "anyone with a high iq utilizes it for money." It's simply not the case, and has never been shown to be the case. In fact, the most skilled people in the world, the most intelligent, the most physically gifted, are typically only concerned with testing themselves, regardless of money. I would reckon that most professional fighters would still train and fight if there were no money at all... but even if they were hypothetically capable of becoming a top boxer and making millions, they probably would opt for sticking with mma, so long as they weren't starving.

Secondly, most wrestling and grappling champs that I know of transition to mma because they realize that it represents the culmination of combat sports... has nothing to do with money.

"Secondly, most wrestling and grappling champs that I know of transition to mma because they realize that it represents the culmination of combat sports... has nothing to do with money."

So they're fighting for free?

now im asking the boxing section this because you guys generaly know more about boxing that anyone in the mma section

now im asking this because boxing is extreamly weak in mma and their arent many fighters who are good boxers but are there any stand outs that impress you with how good their boxing is

LW: Penn,Edgar,Noons,Florian,Sotiropoulos in his last fight
WW: Nick Diaz (his head movement still lacks)
MW: Anderson (although a little overrated)
LHW: Rampage
HW:

So they're fighting for free?

If the best fighters in the world were fighting in an organization that didn't pay, yeah, they probably would be. See: Vale Tudo. The fact remains that people like to watch fighting, promoters can make money off of the fights, and fighters like to get paid so they can train and participate in the sport full time. I don't think any of them place the "making stupid amounts of money" concept above the "being the best fighter on the planet" concept... and if and when they do, everyone cries foul because it's so contrary to the spirit of the thing.

Last edited:
Penn and Edgar are good boxers. Edgar keeps tight and uses fantastic head movement. Boxing is what gave Rampage the unlikely win against Wand on the third go-around.

If we are just talking about hands....I like Caol Uno.
especially in the middle of his career he picked up some good head movement and a good counter punching

if we're talking about right now, Belfort and JDS are fantastic, world class capable in my opinion. Rampage and BJ Penn are pretty good too and Anderson Silva has some solid boxing skills as well despite coming from a mostly MT backround. also keep in mind that a lot of guys would be even better boxers if they spent all their time with it.

Back