Is there anyone in MMA that has impressed you with their boxing

Mark Hominick. Nice easy-on-the-eye style, and very persistent with left hooks to the body. Honourable mention: Brad Pickett.

Takanori Gomi looked decent when fighting Jens Pulver. The commentators were harping on about Pulvers' great boxing all the while Gomi was knocking seven shades of shite out of him.

Mark Hominick. Nice easy-on-the-eye style, and very persistent with left hooks to the body. Honourable mention: Brad Pickett.

I forgot about Hominick. His last fight against Jabouin was really fun to watch.

Secondly, most wrestling and grappling champs that I know of transition to mma because they realize that it represents the culmination of combat sports... has nothing to do with money.

Seriously. why not ask yourself what other option a wrestler has to make money? zero. Prowrestling isn't wrestling and there is no other venue other than instructing for a wrestler to make money other than mma. It has everything to do with money. I have known hundreds of fighters. I can't think of one that didn't want to get paid or that would be able to make it even if he wasn't getting paid. Sure they love the glory, but that is true of anyone from any discipline. Fighters need to eat, they need to have clothes, shelter, pay bills. In the states its even worse because of the god aweful medical expenses. This is the excuse that mma fans make as too why its ok for white and co to rip the fighters off. The culmination of fight sports is matches with no rules period. These actually go on in some countries, underground ofcourse and usually with criminals running gambling on it. Anything less is not the culmination of fighting. If it was just about testing yourself and not getting paid, we'd see many more eyeless wrestlers around.

Seriously. why not ask yourself what other option a wrestler has to make money? zero. Prowrestling isn't wrestling and there is no other venue other than instructing for a wrestler to make money other than mma. It has everything to do with money. I have known hundreds of fighters. I can't think of one that didn't want to get paid or that would be able to make it even if he wasn't getting paid. Sure they love the glory, but that is true of anyone from any discipline. Fighters need to eat, they need to have clothes, shelter, pay bills. In the states its even worse because of the god aweful medical expenses. This is the excuse that mma fans make as too why its ok for white and co to rip the fighters off. The culmination of fight sports is matches with no rules period. These actually go on in some countries, underground ofcourse and usually with criminals running gambling on it. Anything less is not the culmination of fighting. If it was just about testing yourself and not getting paid, we'd see many more eyeless wrestlers around.

just fyi big name college wrestling coaches make bank when you add in camps and appearance fees. Much much more than a mid-level mma fighter, or mid-level boxer for that matter, even if they had 4 fights a year.

Here ya go:
and again these numbers are without camps/appearances which are big money, generally in excess of 20k/ year

Name, College, Salary
-- Cael Sanderson, Iowa State, $110,000
-- Jack Spates, Oklahoma, $110,000
-- Mark Johnson, Illinois, $108,550
-- J Robinson, Minnesota, $100,000
-- Brian Smith, Missouri, $100,000
-- John Smith, Oklahoma State, $100,000
-- Pat Santoro, Maryland, $99,866
-- Tom Brands, Iowa, $99,750
-- Joe McFarland, Michigan, $97,850
-- Mark Manning, Nebraska, $97,000
-- Tom Ryan, Ohio State, $95,288
-- Jim Zalesky, Oregon State, $95,004

You're operating in a world where money is the sole factor in determining an athlete's career choices... and you're telling us to "be real"? An athlete that is completely defined by whoever is willing to put the most 0's on his paycheck is a bitch... nothing more than a dog that stays with whoever puts food in the bowl. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some people want to fight instead of seek worldly gain... and that THAT might perhaps be a more noble endeavor than "going where the money is"?[/QUOTE]
Hey look we have another suburban tough guy here...

Lets cut through the bullshit shall we, the reason grapplers go into MMA is because people don't pay two men grappling and many see it as homoerotic. Has very little to do with "testing" themselves.

Rampage fights for money, Fedor fights for money, and I seem to remember Brock saying that he would have come over straight out of college if there was better money back then. All these guys are "bitches"?

You should tell them that to their face then.

And MMA is the "culmination of combat sports", based on what exactly?

Based on an artificial ruleset that favors grapplers?

You think grapplers would be so eager to flop to their butts and ask the other man to "get into their guard" if stomps and soccer kicks were allowed?

An eye poke here, a ball shot and a chomp there will make the dry humpers reluctant.

I said it before and will say it again, true NHB fighting requires a lot less of your BJJ blackbelt awesomeness and a lot more balls.

You're operating in a world where money is the sole factor in determining an athlete's career choices... and you're telling us to "be real"? An athlete that is completely defined by whoever is willing to put the most 0's on his paycheck is a bitch... nothing more than a dog that stays with whoever puts food in the bowl. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe some people want to fight instead of seek worldly gain... and that THAT might perhaps be a more noble endeavor than "going where the money is"?[/QUOTE]

Lets cut through the bullshit shall we, the reason grapplers go into MMA is because people don't pay two men grappling and many see it as homoerotic. Has very little to do with "testing" themselves.

Rampage fights for money, Fedor fights for money, and I seem to remember Brock saying that he would have come over straight out of college if there was better money back then. All these guys are "bitches"?

You think grapplers would be so eager to flop to their butts and ask the other man to "get into their guard" if stomps and soccer kicks were allowed?

An eye poke here, a ball shot and a chomp there will make the dry humpers reluctant.

I said it before and will say it again, true NHB fighting requires a lot less of your BJJ blackbelt awesomeness and a lot more balls.

No rules fighting is gayer than grappling and takes zero skill just balls

No rules fighting is gayer than grappling and takes zero skill just balls
Coming from a wrestler that sounds funny.

Kicking someone in the nuts is definitely less gay than laying on top of another guy and dry humping him for 25 minutes, at least among straight guys it is.

But don't let me stop you or any fellow UFC fan from spreading nonsense about how MMA is "real fighting". Just do it among fellow MMA fans.

Coming from a wrestler that sounds funny.

Kicking someone in the nuts is definitely less gay than laying on top of another guy and dry humping him for 25 minutes, at least among straight guys it is.

But don't let me stop you or any fellow UFC fan from spreading nonsense about how MMA is "real fighting". Just do it among fellow MMA fans.

so kicking someone in the nuts is a manly way to fight in your eyes? got it.

Probably a lot of you in here don't even know that men have 2 major pain spots in the groin and only one is the nuts. The other is usually more painful and if you were dropped instantly that is what you got hurt. Above your package, where your balls go to hide when its freezing or when they going into firing position, is a group of nerves that hurts every bit as bad as being hit in the balls. Thats why a push kick going from the top down is much more effective than an upward kick which is usually caught by the legs anyways.

If striking vital areas is gay to some of you mma fans then you must really hate your own troops and army, because when you are fighting for your life and you are fighting to the death and not in some rules "event" that is the stuff they teach you. Ask A green berret. My first jiujitsu instructor was a military man, who did work for the ambassador of saudi arabia and worked events doing security for Bush senior. He would happily kick you in the balls, thumb out your eyes, or break your neck, as that is the reality of the fighting that he is expected to engage in. He could also double tap head shots at 75ft with a pistol. He has killed 7 people in the course of his 25 plus years doing protective services. One actually shot him, while he was trying to disarm the guy and the ejection port welded his fingers together. The guy that shot him is no longer with us. Of course .... this takes no skill at all....lol. Anyone can do that right?

Please..

In the cage my MMA coach would destroy him. But if you said who would i rather fight on the street, there is not a doubt in my mind that I would rather fight my mma coach who might beat me up and thats it. I'd heal get better. Sensie Chris on the other hand would almost assuredley maim me. He'd use a weopon if he had too, and if he thought for a second that I may come back for revenge he'd cripple or kill me if he could.

I believe the Tua-Hunt rumor started on a forum over at Tua's website.

Probably a lot of you in here don't even know that men have 2 major pain spots in the groin and only one is the nuts. The other is usually more painful and if you were dropped instantly that is what you got hurt. Above your package, where your balls go to hide when its freezing or when they going into firing position, is a group of nerves that hurts every bit as bad as being hit in the balls. Thats why a push kick going from the top down is much more effective than an upward kick which is usually caught by the legs anyways.

If striking vital areas is gay to some of you mma fans then you must really hate your own troops and army, because when you are fighting for your life and you are fighting to the death and not in some rules "event" that is the stuff they teach you. Ask A green berret. My first jiujitsu instructor was a military man, who did work for the ambassador of saudi arabia and worked events doing security for Bush senior. He would happily kick you in the balls, thumb out your eyes, or break your neck, as that is the reality of the fighting that he is expected to engage in. He could also double tap head shots at 75ft with a pistol. He has killed 7 people in the course of his 25 plus years doing protective services. One actually shot him, while he was trying to disarm the guy and the ejection port welded his fingers together. The guy that shot him is no longer with us. Of course .... this takes no skill at all....lol. Anyone can do that right?

Please..

In the cage my MMA coach would destroy him. But if you said who would i rather fight on the street, there is not a doubt in my mind that I would rather fight my mma coach who might beat me up and thats it. I'd heal get better. Sensie Chris on the other hand would almost assuredley maim me. He'd use a weopon if he had too, and if he thought for a second that I may come back for revenge he'd cripple or kill me if he could.
If you talk to some of the old school Boxing guys, they will tell you that they see no skill in jumping on a dazed and grounded man and hitting him, yet many MMA fights end that way.

So "skill" is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly think it takes skill to avoid getting struck in the most vulnerable parts of your body while imposing your will on another man.

I am not the one fixated on "real fighting" like UFC fans are. If they want to brag about "real fighting" then let them go all the way, don't make up an artificial ruleset favoring grapplers to brag about grappling while bashing Boxing.

Going all the way would include no rounds, no time limits, no gloves, cup for the groin, vaseline or any other artificial stuff, no interruption of fights to check on cuts and absolutely no rules as far as attacking any part of the human body using your own body. When UFC fans manage to get that set up they can come in here and brag about "real fighting". Until then they can stick to posting in the heavys and that pothead Joe "boxing is the art of punching, MMA is the art of fighting" Rogan's forum.

Or else they have another option, they can grow up and see Boxing and MMA for what they are, rule bound sports.

B.j penn ; rampage;anderson;even though its muay thai kick boxing shogie

dude under the least restrictive ruleset there was grappling and wrestling still dominated.

Back