Is there anyone in MMA that has impressed you with their boxing

MachineMan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
now im asking the boxing section this because you guys generaly know more about boxing that anyone in the mma section

now im asking this because boxing is extreamly weak in mma and their arent many fighters who are good boxers but are there any stand outs that impress you with how good their boxing is

I actually really enjoy watching the diaz brothers fight because of the way they use there hands. especially nick.

Absolutely

B.J. Penn
Andre Arlovski(though he's past it now)
Kenny Florian

and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.. these guys implement boxing quite well into their game plans..

now im asking the boxing section this because you guys generaly know more about boxing that anyone in the mma section

now im asking this because boxing is extreamly weak in mma and their arent many fighters who are good boxers but are there any stand outs that impress you with how good their boxing is

i think its a bit much to say extreamly weak. Cro cop has great hands when he actually uses them being a kickboxer, so does pat barry.

Marcus davis was a pro boxer with a professional record of 17

i think its a bit much to say extreamly weak. Cro cop has great hands when he actually uses them being a kickboxer, so does pat barry.

Marcus davis was a pro boxer with a professional record of 17

JDS has the best boxing in MMA IMO.. Also Anderson Silva is great with his hands..

jds has gr8 boxing,edgar aint bad also

I enjoy watching KJ Noons use his hands when he fights. He got some ok boxing skills, he moves his head when he throws and seems to know what punch to throw most the time.

I actually really enjoy watching the diaz brothers fight because of the way they use there hands. especially nick.

Well for the most part their boxing is kind of lacking but nicks last couple fights he has showed vast improvement over his thousand punches of death move.

No one strikes me as great and the reason being is because it is very hard to fight traditionally as a boxer in mma because of all the variables a fighter has to worry about. I have seen some good boxing though implemented in MMA;

penn
kimbo
arloski
nick diaz recently
jds
randy

just to name a few. But there are guys like Fedor or anderson who have great hands but there striking doesn't resemble boxing the way we know it. even though they have trained in boxing sometimes its a hybrid of different arts they are using and it works for MMA

I'll add Kid Yamamoto.
And King Mo has been working on his boxing.

Last edited:
I enjoy watching KJ Noons use his hands when he fights. He got some ok boxing skills, he moves his head when he throws and seems to know what punch to throw most the time.

He looked sharp against Diaz, for sure, but did you see his last fight in Strikeforce?

Totally out of shape, slow as fuck, and just overall, terrible. I think his 15 minutes are up.

Randy Couture looked sharp in the first Liddell fight, but since then it's been a steady decline, and he's well past it now.

Gomi once upon a time was quite good IMO. He went to the body like an actual boxer. Sadly, he became a bit of a head hunter, and his overall skillset declined. Maybe he's rejuvinated though, we'll see. He's got the tools, surely enough.

Penn, and Rampage come to mind for me, as examples of good use of boxing skill. (Albeit Rampage is a bit schizophrenic having one good performance and one shit performance)

JDS looks terribly robotic and ponderous to me. Put in a boxing ring with even a journeyman and he's going to sleep. Can't argue with his results though, the man packs a punch.

Marcus Davis is reputed to be a boxer, but, honestly if he COULD hang, he would. He's really nothing special as a boxer, and likely couldn't crack the top 100.

Somebody mentioned Anderson Silva..... anybody that gets knocked on their ass by Chael Sonnen has shit boxing. Sorry, it's true. Delusions aside, Anderson's boxing is a shit sammich.

If you're watching mma to watch guys throw hands, you're watching the wrong sport gents.

Aside from the stock who's a good boxer in mma picks(penn, florian) i've been really impressed by Cain Velazquez. The guy has good fundamentals, jabs well, moves his head, and punches in combination. I love that the threw the clean up hook behind the uppercut that retired Noguiera. He has a good arsenal of punches and even knows how to punch moving backwards. His boxing impressed me most in the ufc hw div. Even more so than JDS who I think is a little more sloppy and wide open.

i think at least 50% of mma fighters stand up is overrated or not that great. but it still dosent mean they cant beat you. with other areas that are good

I think Bj Penn
Rampage Jackson
Anderson Silva
Andrei Alrovski
Junior Dos Santos

He looked sharp against Diaz, for sure, but did you see his last fight in Strikeforce?

Totally out of shape, slow as fuck, and just overall, terrible. I think his 15 minutes are up

If you're watching mma to watch guys throw hands, you're watching the wrong sport gents.

Yeah he did look like shit in his last fight but was still throwing a good uppercut and some nice body shots.

I think Lil Nog deserves a mention, he has decent boxing.

Back