Media Is the UFC Making Too Many Rematches?

Is the UFC matchmaking becoming unimaginative?

• Total voters
And they made the DC vs Stipe trilogy while putting Ngannou on the ice.

definitely agree

but not much can be done. The tops of the divisions are are too good for the rest.

Take WW for example... you have Usman and Colby... then the rest of the division is trash. Everyone is high on Luque but lets not forget wonderboy owned him easily.
Womens straw-weight... there is no other match that can make $ besides Rose vs Weili. Setting them up to lose to some no name by freak accident or KO would be bad for business.
Yan vs Sterling... strong argument for rematch. whats the alternative? throw in sandhagen lol dude lost to midget TJ on one leg.
Diaz vs Lawler 2 ... fun fight, i'm not complaining.

Yes, it's a joke, especially at the championship level. You can just assume every champion who loses will probably get a rematch for no reason

This is what happens when you let the top five of every division only fuck each other like a bunch of incests. Also look at the division jones broke into. I feel like by letting the top 10 only fight back each other, you are actually leaving just as equally talented younger hungrier Guys on the wings. When they finally get a foot in the door, they destroy the old guard and everyone thinks they are the next best thing until the other younger guys start coming up too.

I think the ufc recognised that this is the best method for marketing. Hold divisions up in the top 10, then let the fighter that’s mainly unproven but young and marketable come in and look unstoppable. The LW division mcgregor broke into was suffering a bit from that, they were allgood fighters but all with really high mileage and getting older. Mcgregor looked on another level until the other younger guys started moving into the top 10. I also believe this is Tony’s problem. He was fighting through the old guard looking unstoppable. They gave him people who weren’t not past it and peaking and he looked shot.

Yes.

It would seem to me that holding the purse strings too tightly is costing the UFC.

Too many fighters at the top of their divisions aren't fighting; if they don't have the name value to headline a PPV or a decent Fight Night, how will that be improved by running a bunch of pointless rematches?

Women's Strawweight: While Rose is booked to fight Zhang again for no reason, these fighters aren't booked: Esparza, Joanna, Claudia, Herrig, Torres, Hill, Waterson, Tatiana, Yan.

Now don't jump down my throat, they aren't all contenders, but they're all names people have heard of and capable of establishing contenders.

It's not just this division where the UFC is sitting on it's most known talent.

While we're waiting for Yan-Aljo, these studs aren't booked: Yahya, Cruz, Aldo, Assuncao, TJ, Font, Kelleher, Stamann, Song, Barcelos, Umar, Sandhagen, and many, many more.

At welterweight, while we're waiting for Usman-Covington, none of these guys are booked: Nate, Matt Brown, Masvidal, Wonderboy, Magny, Ponz, Gilbert, Leon Edwards, Luque, Belal, Salikhov, Neal, many more.

Now I know you can't book everyone, but we're getting cards littered with cheap options, guys nowhere near the rankings, people who are borderline UFC quality in the first place.

The story is the same across all the divisions, these guys are all priced out of fighting more than twice a year.

Every single fighter named can easily headline a Fight Night card, but we're getting shit like Vieira-Tate, backed up by a co-main of Arlovski-Felipe & Rodriguez-Dern backed up by Romanov-Vanderaa (lol). I'm not shitting on these cards, these usually great to watch, but the headliners are way worse than they should be.

Heck, even Santos-Walker & Smith-Spann ain't crowning a top contender.

I think though some divisions like Cain had too many rematches

I swear he fought only JDS, Big Foot and Travis Browne for like 6 years

Yes.

It would seem to me that holding the purse strings too tightly is costing the UFC.

Too many fighters at the top of their divisions aren't fighting; if they don't have the name value to headline a PPV or a decent Fight Night, how will that be improved by running a bunch of pointless rematches?

Women's Strawweight: While Rose is booked to fight Zhang again for no reason, these fighters aren't booked: Esparza, Joanna, Claudia, Herrig, Torres, Hill, Waterson, Tatiana, Yan.

Now don't jump down my throat, they aren't all contenders, but they're all names people have heard of and capable of establishing contenders.

It's not just this division where the UFC is sitting on it's most known talent.

While we're waiting for Yan-Aljo, these studs aren't booked: Yahya, Cruz, Aldo, Assuncao, TJ, Font, Kelleher, Stamann, Song, Barcelos, Umar, Sandhagen, and many, many more.

At welterweight, while we're waiting for Usman-Covington, none of these guys are booked: Nate, Matt Brown, Masvidal, Wonderboy, Magny, Ponz, Gilbert, Leon Edwards, Luque, Belal, Salikhov, Neal, many more.

Now I know you can't book everyone, but we're getting cards littered with cheap options, guys nowhere near the rankings, people who are borderline UFC quality in the first place.

The story is the same across all the divisions, these guys are all priced out of fighting more than twice a year.

Every single fighter named can easily headline a Fight Night card, but we're getting shit like Vieira-Tate, backed up by a co-main of Arlovski-Felipe & Rodriguez-Dern backed up by Romanov-Vanderaa (lol). I'm not shitting on these cards, these usually great to watch, but the headliners are way worse than they should be.

Heck, even Santos-Walker & Smith-Spann ain't crowning a top contender.
Dana said going from a 50k to a 75k bonus would fuck up the financials of the UFC.

That's all anyone ever needs to know about why names aren't fighting or why contenders can't get a fight with names in divisions.

This is entirely the UFC's doing. Nobody should blame a single fighter. They aren't employees. Their job is to fight for the most amount of money they can get. Many of them are at the tail end of their contracts.

Fuck Dana and fuck the UFC. We lost out on a ton of amazing fights and hype trains as a result. Fuck em.

Yes, most are completely unnecessary. Especially the rematch of Usman vs Masvidal.

But I don’t put Moreno vs Fig 3 in that category because Pantoja just isn’t ready to go in the active champ’s timeframe. Context matters.

remember when they made figgy take jo's soul twice for absolutely no reason?

Fook yes. Other than an obvious rematch that needs to happen for closure (Figgy Smalls-Moreno, Yan-Sterling), what the fook was the point of Holm rematching Pennington? Of DC and Cormier tying up the belt for 2 years? Of Ankalaev-Cutelaba 2? Of Tito fighting Forrest three times? Etc. etc.

Did we really need Figueiredo vs Moreno for the third straight time, and all within a year? Granted the first two were exciting fights, but ffs, is there NO ONE else that is worthy of a title shot?

i remember the exact moment It thought ufc match making was getting bad Donald Cerrone vs Alex Oliviera aka Cowboy vs Cowboy, someone got paid real money to come up with that

Not if the wins are decisions or by cuts or super quick KOs

Conor in theory should of rematched Aldo

Nate vs Masvidal deserves a rematch. That fight should not have ended, if Koshcheck can fight 1 eye blind and that is allowed then Nate should of been allowed to continue

You're an idiot

It’s a horrible era. Everything has to be a fucking rematch. Or a trilogy. :rolleyes:
I’m sorry but I wasn’t even that jazzed for the Stipe-Cormier trilogy, let alone all the other pointless rematches: Weili Zhang for example. This Fig-Moreno fight. It’s just shitty booking and promoting.

future ufc rematches :
2022 :
conor vs diaz 3
conor vs dustin 4
2023 :
conor vs diaz 4
conor vs dustin 5

it's all bout PPV sales
if the fans want it, UFC will make it

Back