Media Is the UFC Making Too Many Rematches?

Is the UFC matchmaking becoming unimaginative?

• Total voters
It exposes the UFC for being pretty shallow if the only viable option is someone the champion just beat (in almost every case by knockout as well)

Last edited:
It’s a horrible era. Everything has to be a fucking rematch. Or a trilogy. :rolleyes:
I’m sorry but I wasn’t even that jazzed for the Stipe-Cormier trilogy, let alone all the other pointless rematches: Weili Zhang for example. This Fig-Moreno fight. It’s just shitty booking and promoting.

Stipe DC III should have happened but after DC fought someone else in my opinion. I still wish DC would come back maybe just for an instant title shot even

I've no problems if the rematch still makes sense, timely, and have stakes to go along with it. If it's a way overdue rematch of two fighters who are having a stagnant performances and not getting anywhere.... nah.

There should never be an immediate rematch u less there was a freak injury. "Lucky" KO? No immediate rematch. Long standing champ? No immediate rematch. DQ? No immediate rematch. Questionable decision? No immediate rematch. Literally anything other than a freak injury? No immediate rematch for fucks' sake.

Stipe DC III should have happened but after DC fought someone else in my opinion. I still wish DC would come back maybe just for an instant title shot even
Yeah I agree. I understand why Stipe got the instant rematch after losing the first fight, but DC didn’t deserve an instant rematch after losing the second fight imo.

Yes, I was shocked the Moreno vs Figueiredo match has been booked a 3rd time in a row, why?!, its needless, there was a very clear winner, nothing controversial at all. Not needed at all. They tend to do a lot of rematches for flyweight and heavyweight title fights, I always noticed that over the years, if you really go back and look you will see how many of the title fights are rematches and trilogies, it just really shows how lacking the divisions are
I shook my head when they made that. The Notorious Figgy Smalls probably needs to move up

Sterling vs Yan is necessary but,

Moreno vs Fig 3
Usman vs Mas 2
Rose vs Zhang 2 etc were/are all unnecessary.

But you got Adesanya vs Marvin 2, Francis vs Stipe 2, Stipe vs DC 3, that were all necessary rematches in my opinion.

Even Usman vs Colby 2 isn't entirely necessary yet. Obviously the best 2 guys but Leon and even Luque are more deserving than Colby.
What did Leon do, other than emberass himself?

Reactions: HHJ
Wanted to do a little digging for myself to see if the rematches were more from lazy booking or if good fighters are just staying at the top because they are good.

So here's the list of fights we are talking about:

260 - Miocic vs. Ngannou 2
261- Usman vs Masvidal 2
263 - Adesanya vs Vettori 2
263 - Moreno Vs. Figueiredo 2

267 - Yan vs Sterling 2
268 - Usman vs. Covington 2
268 - Rose vs. Zhang 2
269 - Moreno vs. Figueiredo 3

In general, yes. Looking at upcoming fights though it's case by case.

Colby gave Usman a tough fight. Given the WW landscape that's not a bad rematch.
Poirier vs Oliveira would be a new fight. Poirier vs Conor 3 was because of money/trilogy.
Izzy vs Rob is a good rematch in the sense that Rob is the clear #1 contender.
Glover deserves his title shot.
It should be Ngannou vs Gane for HW, which is a new, damn good fight.
Yan vs Sterling 2 obviously needs to happen.
Volk vs Ortega
Moreno vs Figu 3 is needless. As is Weili vs Rose 2
I suppose Murphy deserves it given the division

So I see a couple of useless rematches coming up, but most title fights are good.

Wanted to do a little digging for myself to see if the rematches were more from lazy booking or if good fighters are just staying at the top because they are good.

So here's the list of fights we are talking about:

260 - Miocic vs. Ngannou 2
261- Usman vs Masvidal 2
263 - Adesanya vs Vettori 2
263 - Moreno Vs. Figueiredo 2

267 - Yan vs Sterling 2
268 - Usman vs. Covington 2
268 - Rose vs. Zhang 2
269 - Moreno vs. Figueiredo 3
Nothing really shocking in those. Mavidal didn't deserved it but it made money and he got KTFO and made Usman more of a star, so it ends well.
Ngannou and Vettori had more than earned it, not even really a rematch a this point.

Yeah I agree. I understand why Stipe got the instant rematch after losing the first fight, but DC didn’t deserve an instant rematch after losing the second fight imo.

Yep it wasnt fluke DC threw all he had and couldnt put Stipe away and then Stipe KO him

I wanted DC to lose more in his career I feel like Khabib he went out kind of early or without facing deeper competition (at least at HW). Cormier fans will say only Jones, Stipe and like possibly Ngannou can beat DC or maybe Mythical Ubereem but in my opinion there was a lot of bad matches for DC at HW, like Blaydes and Gane and Ngannou and Werdum

I also think he could of lost the Gust fight

Gust is a big let down he could of beat Jones and been the one to also dethrone Cormier after Jones

Its why Jones needs to lose

He is trying the safe route. I hope his first HW fight he is pur away then returns for a 2nd and is also stopped. Then Jones fans will say his prime is done (despite juicing)

People need to realize unless you have severe injuries which impact your speed and you are a speed based fighter then being in your 30s doesnt mean you are necessairly past prime. As Rogan said TRT Vitor was better in his 30s than his 20s

He had more training, knowledge and the roids made him stronger and his speed seemed intact and he had better cardio.

Injuries legit ruined Shogun because Shogun used to make lateral movements and be quick, after his 3rd ACL tear he ceased to jump around and be quick. Shogun turned into a plodding stalking brawler who occasionally kicks, he also was easier to takedown and was a stationary fighter

Primes need to be looked at in depth

Prime BJ is also BS and his motivates stuff is garbage he was losing in his prime and quit on a stool....

Very few fighters fans are crazy about have legit excuses for their downfall. Cain without likely Epos in the usada era affected his cardio in my opinion and his back injuries impacted mobility ending his ability to train properly after 2019. Carwin was ended by neck and back injuries. Brock still held up after diverticulitus, maintained his speed, strength, size and was juicing so I dont think he was effected much at all.

Liddell was affected by a cracked chin and inability for his head to take any more hard shots.

Andersons biggest decline in MMA is speed but mobility wise he still has his knees. He lost to Weidman whilr he was in his prime in my opinion and he was juicing

Fedor is trickier he got fatter and displayed poor fight IQ at times as he aged. But he was young when his era came to an end. Fedor being undersized also made him so much more seseptible to being KO. I do not believe Hendo would have KO a proper HW in that position

267 - Yan vs Sterling 2 (A must.)
268 - Usman vs. Covington 2 (I must confess im really looking fwd to this one)
268 - Rose vs. Zhang 2 (also looking fwd to it,to see what will happen if it goes a little longer)
269 - Moreno vs. Figueiredo 3 (Lame,give someone else a shot)

who else should be in those fights. It’s just shitty divisions with no intrigue at all

Um, Carla Esparza lol. 5 fight win streak, coming off a finish of a top contender. Plus, you know, has a dominant finish victory over the current champ. Carla worked her way back up and earned that crack at the title. The UFC has lots of material to promote that fight with, they're just short-sighted and greedy.

Given that Pantoja can't fight, Askar Askarov is the guy who should be getting the FLW shot. I know he's completely unknown, but it's the third title fight on a card anyway, going from Figgy to Askar would have negligible effect on PPV sales imo. Askar must not be managed by Ali.

I have no problem with rematches that have been earned (and feel there probably should be more of them, I think its flatout wrong when a contender on a hot streak is denied a title shot because "no one wants to see that fight again").

But immediate rematches / rematches for no reason? Just as bad. Get in the bin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back