Media Is the UFC Making Too Many Rematches?

Is the UFC matchmaking becoming unimaginative?

• Total voters
I hate to say it, but one might get the impression that the UFC has a vested interest in particular outcomes, and uses rematches as a means of possibly getting them.
This and if the fight sold well or had a lot of interest. They will try and maximize as much as they can with those fights with rematches. Hard for them to have fights that are top draws with viewers or ppvs, so they circle back to the ones that did well in the past. It's all about numbers for them right now and fighters/champions that are easy to promote.

Not really, this indicates that every division has a talented pool of fighters at the top.

This isnt exactly new, but it needs to stop, it ruins careers, Max lost a controversial decision on the rematch (i think he won) and well, he isnt getting another shot soon as long as Volk is the champ, and even then, if Ortega wins its possible they make the rematch on that one instead of giving it to Max, which it happens to be a rematch too tho.

Rose is rematching Zhang, really? Figuereido is re-rematching Moreno, really?

Aldo was the only one that imo deserved a rematch on a fight he lost yet he was denied, but almost everyone and their mom gets one, even if it doesnt make sense, time for fighers to decline on those dumb rematches on their own? i mean, they go in as the challenger, its not like they get paid as the champ will.

Yes. It's like they are TRYING to make the least interesting title fights. Not sure if it's just a bad coincidence or something we're gonna have to get used to.

This is why the MM/Rodtang matchup with the rulesets is intruiging. It's something fresh and it came just in the right time.
Also One is giving Garry Tonon the shot against Thanh Le rather than doing a dumb Nguyen rematch. This is the kinda thing you expect from a real sports league (not to mention its probably the most stylistically intriguing matchup I've seen at FW in a while).

Sterling vs Yan is necessary but,

Moreno vs Fig 3
Usman vs Mas 2
Rose vs Zhang 2 etc were/are all unnecessary.

But you got Adesanya vs Marvin 2, Francis vs Stipe 2, Stipe vs DC 3, that were all necessary rematches in my opinion.

Even Usman vs Colby 2 isn't entirely necessary yet. Obviously the best 2 guys but Leon and even Luque are more deserving than Colby.

It's the downside of a promoter owning its own belts and rankings, too much temptation to use matchmaking to cut costs or boost revenue. Same reason the UFC doesn't do official number 1 contender matches anymore.

Ngannou massacred like 3-4 people in like ac combined 3 minutes while stipe and cormier fought each other 3 times in a row once a year. He earned his rematch but there was absolutely no reason to rematch fights like Usman vs masvidal when the first fight wasn't even close.

Absolutely. Look at the champions.

-Ngannou just had a rematch.
-Adesanya just had a rematch and his next defense will be a rematch.
-Usman just had a rematch and his next defense will be a rematch.
-Volkanovski just had a rematch.
-Sterling’s next defense will be a rematch.
-Moreno just had a rematch and his next defense will be a rematch.
-Namajunas’s next defense will be a rematch.

That’s 7/11 champions that just had a rematch or have one next or both. Now some are justified but that is a lot of rematches.

This proves that THE UFC IS DYING.

That’s pretty damning. That means on average in our recent events 50% of the title fights are rematches. It’s really tiring for me personally. I enjoy new match ups and the unpredictability of going from style to style. I really feel like these rematches and trilogies are getting out of hand.
Strongly disagree. Some rematches like Ngannou vs Stipe 2 and Covington vs Usman 2 are highly anticipated. Other rematches are so far from the original fight that it's barely a rematch (ie: Adesanya vs Vettori).

Yes, especially title fights. A title fight should only have an immediate rematch if:
A: The defending champion had held the title for a long time and loses
B: It ends in a draw/DQ

Other rematches really shouldn't happen within a few years of each other

It use to be if there was a close fight this would happen. Most of the title fights there was a clear winner.

Remember when Hollywood ran out of good ideas?!
Yup, they labeled it the nostalgic fans demands and Spammed us with Remakes (that were mostly not even half as Good)
Also this, I legit booed the trailer for the Westside Story remake. It's a classic it stands the test of time, I don't want a modern PC version.

UFC still owes us Israel vs Paulo Costa 2. It’s gonna be a completely different fight when Costa is not hungover from wine.

Back