Is Ronda Rousey As Popular As Dana White Thinks She Is

If Ronda loses, they'll put every women's title fight in the same card with another title fight. They might do that anyway, depending on the PPV sales.

[QUOTE="Rush";77474795]Typical ignorant sherdog poster.
[/QUOTE]

Way to dodge his question.

They aren't responsible for all of Ronda's exposure. Her and her people have done an excellent job promoting her. They know what they are doing. The UFC isn't trying to create a star, they are trying to capitalize on her already rising star power.

I agree What I should have said to clarify is that they are trying to promote her BEYOND her already existing popularity as a UFC champion/fighter. She is very popular and having her in the UFC would probably bring a new population of viewers. He sees the trend of popularity and is trying to capitalize on it. Either that or he just has a crush on her I can't tell.

Cain was only 8-0 with a over Nog being the only decent opponent when he got a headlining title shot

Yes as a well rounded elite fighter with serious striking skills and a well rounded game. Plus the guy he was fighting was Big Nog who is a legend off mma which is a big reason why they were headlining. Is Liz Carmouche a legend of mma? No. Rousey is a one dimensional fighter in an incredibly weak division.

^^ This he's trying to promote her. he either is a born again feminist or believes he can create a new fighting genre to draw in a demographic that has been missing to up the overall viewing of UFC events. I'm guessing it's the second one.

Womens MMA numbers have delivered every time they have had the opportunity.

They aren't responsible for all of Ronda's exposure. Her and her people have done an excellent job promoting her. They know what they are doing. The UFC isn't trying to create a star, they are trying to capitalize on her already rising star power.

Exactly.

How do you guys think Dana knows about her? He only knew 4 female fighters names up until recently.

She's legit with nobody to fight.. Basically she has to blow up in popularity to the point that people won't care that she has no competition..

Baszler, McMann, Carmouche, Kaufman, Zingano, Nunes, Davis, Cyborg, Tate, Kedzie, Dudieva

Her achievements? How many undefeated 9-0 mens fighters with weak opponents are there in mma who noone has ever heard of or cares about.

But from the perspective of WMMA, she hasn't faced weak opponents. As far as WMMA goes, Kaufman was a worldbeater. Tate was the top of the most stacked division at the time Rousey beat her. So she is taking out some of the top female fighters in the world, and doing it with relative ease.

If I had to compare her WMMA rise to a male fighter's MMA rise, I would compare her Cain Velasquez. Cain was a highly touted prospect from the day he announced he was fighting MMA. He proved himself by first taking a couple of smaller promotion fights, then quickly moved to the top organization (Strikeforce was arguably the top destination for women, at least for 135 and 145 pounders, at the time) and started crushing people and quickly moved up and started beating top tier opponents.

So comparing her to somebody like Max Nunes (a 9-0 fighter who has most people don't know, who hasn't fought the toughest guys in the world) isn't quite a fair comparison.

So you are saying that even if the majority of people bought it because of Machida/Hendo, you still can't say it's because of Machida and Hendo?

I'm saying people buy cards based on the headlining main event. This has always been the case and will always be the case.

Rhonda will be judged on her results.

Good or bad PPV numbers will be on her head.

If it sells bad, it won't be because of Hendo vs Machida, it will be all on her.

She's legit with nobody to fight.. Basically she has to blow up in popularity to the point that people won't care that she has no competition..

What about fellow olympic medalist Sara McMann? What if Cyborg? What about Cat Zingano? What about top ranked female boxer turned MMA fighter Holly Holm? There are people out there with good credentials who have looked good in an MMA cage. There are people for her to fight. We just need to learn more about them. Getting signed to the UFC will help do that. They aren't just going to pull fighters out of nowhere for Ronda. They are going to build the division and try to establish other fighters.

Dana said they aren't just doing one-off fights with Rousey, but that they will build the division just like they would with any men's division. Invicta is doing it with an entire promotion. Surely, the UFC can do it with the deepest division in WMMA.

Satoshi Ishi won GOLD!! Look how far that got him. COuld he headline a UFC PPV because of his medal?? The fact that someone can just walk in with high level judo and tear through a division just shows how weak WMMA obviously is. No man could walk into the UFC with just judo and get very far.

Karo was doing it until he fucked it up for himself. Coincidently, back then, the depth in the UFC was similar to the depth of WMMA today.

The UFC are just trying to diversify their audience. It is business, once you've tapped one market (white males in early 20s) you try and capture another one, more $

So they are trying to appeal to females, lesbians, marines, mexicans, churchies, etc. They are just trying to build all these different fan bases. Notice that Dana White has really cleaned up lately with less swearing and homophobic comments.

There is a reason that Rousey signing with the UFC was reported first in TMZ. They are trying to attact that female audience who are big into celebrities and reality shows.

I'm saying people buy cards based on the headlining main event. This has always been the case and will always be the case.

Rhonda will be judged on her results.

Good or bad PPV numbers will be on her head.

If it sells bad, it won't be because of Hendo vs Machida, it will be all on her.

sorry but shertard logic will say bad PPV numbers all on ronda, good ppv numbers all on hendo and machida.

even though hendo can't draw shit, 290K PPV buys versus shogun and UFC 151 had only sold 3,500 tickets with three weeks remaining ( extremely poor by vegas standards).

Trust me that the week after 157 we will see threads with titles
"ronda can't draw shit" or "hendo/machida save 157"

Yes as a well rounded elite fighter with serious striking skills and a well rounded game. Plus the guy he was fighting was Big Nog who is a legend off mma which is a big reason why they were headlining. Is Liz Carmouche a legend of mma? No. Rousey is a one dimensional fighter in an incredibly weak division.

But Sarah Kaufmann was legit. She beat many of the top 135ers and only lost to Coenen (another legit top 135er, who was beat by Tate, who Rousey also beat).

You can't compare the top women to the top men and think the top men would crush the top women, so the top women must not be legit. They are legit for women. You have to look at the women as their own sport, independent of the men. If somebody beats Annika Sorenstam in golf, you don't say, "Tiger would still crush her." You say, "She beat Annika, so she must be pretty good for a female golfer." Same goes if somebody beats a Williams sister in tennis.

Rousey beat Kaufman and Tate, two of the top female fighters in the world, that is more comparable to Cain beating two of the top male fighters in the world than it is to somebody like Richard Odoms beating dudes that aren't relevant to the top of the division.

sorry but shertard logic will say bad PPV numbers all on ronda, good ppv numbers all on hendo and machida.

even though hendo can't draw shit, 290K PPV buys versus shogun and UFC 151 had only sold 3,500 tickets with three weeks remaining ( extremely poor by vegas standards).

Trust me that the week after 157 we will see threads with titles
"ronda can't draw shit" or "hendo/machida save 157"

^^That's the retarded Sherdog logic in my opinion.

If good numbers are to be attributed to Hendo/Machida, then bad numbers should be attributed to them also.

But that's not what I think: I think a card's PPV results are because of the main event. I won't consider this any different because Rhonda is a woman. I will treat her equally.

If she bombs, it's her fault and no one elses. If she succeeds, kudos to her.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you guys grasp this, but the fact that Ronda can generate this many threads with this many posts on this site means she is ready for prime time. It's an entertainment business after all.

Kaufman isn't a legend, but she's legit. Aoki was one dimensional as hell when he was top of LW, no one dismissed all of the 155ers

I don't imagine that hardly anyone outside the MMA/Judo community really knows who she is or gives a shit about what she has to say.

That's the retarded Sherdog logic in my opinion.

If good numbers are to be attributed to Hendo/Machida, then bad numbers should be attributed to them also.

But that's not what I think: I think a card's PPV results are because of the main event. I won't consider this any different because Rhonda is a woman. I will treat her equally.

If she bombs, it's her fault and no one elses. If she succeeds, kudos to her.

agree 100%, although a main event needs a good co-main, but this applies to all UFC cards.

i'm hoping for around 300-350k so the boo birds have to shut the fuck up.

Back