• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is riding your bike on the sidewalk bad manners?

Using a bicycle is good for the environment and the user's health. The anti-cycling rants most often come from obese man children projecting their immaturity and homophobia (because they're secretly gay), eg. 'What are you, 6 years old? Nice spandex shorts homo!'

I've yet to meet a single male who is willing to say any of this irl other than driving by in the safety of their vehicle, lest they get humiliated by a man clad in brightly colored lycra.

I use the road or sidewalk, whatever is safest, giving a wide berth to any pedestrians I encounter. I loved it in Holland where they have a bike path set about 15 feet away alongside nearly every road. The Dutch have a strong cycling culture and are generally super smart.

People who ride on streets clogging traffic when there is a sidewalk are assholes unless your in manhattan NY.

According to traffic rules, that's where bikes are supposed to be.(also on the bike path) Deal with it.
<Fedor23>

I once opened a taxi door to get out just as a cyclist was riding along the pavement at a significant speed. Hilarity ensued.

Well, I found it funny, anyway;)

Living in a small town, roads all day. But when I venture into the city to ride with friends, we ride on bike paths/lanes, paved shoulders, and sidewalks if it’s the safest available option.

Too many stories of cyclists getting smoked by inattentive drivers. My cousin’s friend ran over a cyclist and kept on driving without stopping. Thankfully got arrested later that same day, but still fucked up.

Don’t ride on the sidewalks. It’s called a sideWALK for a reason.

Bikes should be ridden on the sidewalk when possible. Get these fuckers off the road.

Depends on the area.

Here it’s illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk but everyone does. Mainly family’s with kids.

I was riding on the street.
A it’s what you are supposed to do
B. Don’t have to swerve around kids.

Now, most asswholes don’t know this and will honk and swerve at you and cuss you for riding in the street. I’ve almost got in about ten fights in a two week period riding legally in the street.

Plus I was hit THREE fucking times by people on their phones.

My bikes totaled. If I ever fix it. I’ll ride on the sidewalks again where possible.

Using a bicycle is good for the environment and the user's health. The anti-cycling rants most often come from obese man children projecting their immaturity and homophobia (because they're secretly gay), eg. 'What are you, 6 years old? Nice spandex shorts homo!'

I've yet to meet a single male who is willing to say any of this irl other than driving by in the safety of their vehicle, lest they get humiliated by a man clad in brightly colored lycra.

I use the road or sidewalk, whatever is safest, giving a wide berth to any pedestrians I encounter. I loved it in Holland where they have a bike path set about 15 feet away alongside nearly every road. The Dutch have a strong cycling culture and are generally super smart.
Biking is getting more popular here and they are putting bikeways all over the city. Specially since Covid (with public transport restrictions).
Of course the massive amount of new cyclists brought all kind of morons too (the ones who are texting, cross every red light, etc) but no one will convince me that being stuck in traffic in a car is better than cycling.

Living in a small town, roads all day. But when I venture into the city to ride with friends, we ride on bike paths/lanes, paved shoulders, and sidewalks if it’s the safest available option.

Too many stories of cyclists getting smoked by inattentive drivers. My cousin’s friend ran over a cyclist and kept on driving without stopping. Thankfully got arrested later that same day, but still fucked up.

word

se my other post above.

It's illegal here and it's also bad form. Ride in the street.

If no one is walking on it at that time, it’s not bad manners. However, if old people, kids etc are walking on it and here you come riding your big wheeled bicycle all up on the sidewalk in the way of pedestrians trying to take a stroll...then yes...Bad manners.
People, mostly the youth have no consideration.
tumblr_ol42szfQSh1qmob6ro1_400.gifv

tenor.gif

Depends on the area.

Here it’s illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk but everyone does. Mainly family’s with kids.

I was riding on the street.
A it’s what you are supposed to do
B. Don’t have to swerve around kids.

Now, most asswholes don’t know this and will honk and swerve at you and cuss you for riding in the street. I’ve almost got in about ten fights in a two week period riding legally in the street.

Plus I was hit THREE fucking times by people on their phones.

My bikes totaled. If I ever fix it. I’ll ride on the sidewalks again where possible.

That’s fucked. Any serious injuries?

When I’m driving, I assume everyone else sucks at driving. I have that same assumption when I’m biking. Fuck the “sidewalk is illegal” people if it’s the only safe option.

i went for a ride today through a neighborhood, pretty wealthy, and a lady talking to another lady in her yard seemed to give the the eye because I was riding on the side walk

is it bad form?
Nope should be common sense world wide. Otherwise get hit and f off. No sympathy

UK here.

It's illegal to ride a bicycle on the pavement. Maximum penalty £500, usually a £50 fixed penalty, often unenforced because who ever sees a policeman anymore and if you do they're busy.

But yes, TS you are a yob if you ride a bicycle on the pavement.

It's bad manners to walk in the bike lane on the pavement in Amsterdam. Took me a while to get used to that, they go mad at you.

Back