is my son being to rough in judo?

Just to stir it up here are some more of his 'spastic' fights
[Yt]-rUq5CUgqH8[/MEDIA]
[Yt]MCpJu4hb7pY[/MEDIA]
[Yt]siDROn3Sc9s[/MEDIA]

I wonder about these posters that use the word "betas" ect. Are they "alphas"?

it depends on what your definition of an a type is I think from watching Seamus sons vid that he's probably going to be a kid that though not a bully still wouldn't hesitate to uchi mata some bully I def don't see him getting an atomic wedgie or stuffed in a locker anytime soon lol. as for betas and alphas, well I cant obviously speak for everyone but I don't allow people who i'm not friends with to talk shit to me. I believe that there are "fighting words". though a Christian, I haven't yet reconciled the whole "turn the other cheek" teaching. I have NEVER started a fight in my life But I will give you one if you start acting like an ass. Now, am I an alpha? that's for others to decide. But in all fairness I have zero fear of actually being arrested for twerking some fool who gets out of hand lol!

I hope we have different definitions of twerk Jack, because your solution to getting in a fight is head down ass up booty shaking.

I think what Seamus is instilling in his SON is very admirable. Judo is a martial art that can prepare one for life's challenges by instilling work ethic, basic strategy, and an overall grit that most American boys are sorely lacking. Also, I don't see the problem with starting kids young in combat sports. I started playing little league football when I was seven, and the only severe injury I got as a kid was when my brother decided to put a piece of ice in a snowball and Nolan Ryan it at my eye as hard as he could. and after years of football coaches screaming at me and calling me names by the time I got to Fort Benning, GA. there wasn't one thing a drill sergeant could say that got under my skin.

As i said for everyone of you there are 10 who are left on the road because they have either crazy parents or crazy coaches who think that a kid trophy is more important than actually developing a kid so that he isnt burnt out when he is a teenager.

Im one of those left on the road, at sports, at school, at life, until i managed to straigthen it up in my 20s, wasted a lot of time. Because of the mistakes of my father and mother who think they can relive their life in their sons and avoid the mistakes they did.

And yes, i had an abusive father and an abusive coach in judo, but that same coach was actually learned and had a PhD in sport science specialized in judo, and that same crazy, abusive coach when put to taught children, he is a completely different person, he will put the children to play different games to build different attributes and somehow manages to keep a horde of brats in line, happy and attentive without the need to yell.

Kids are kids, teenagers are teenagers and adults are adults, let kids play, life is hard as it is.

I was referencing the general American public, not gay Mexican male prostitutes. I do not have enough of a command of knowledge to comment on how homosexual men who sell their bodies for sex south of the border feel about American male tendencies such as aggression and competition and their relevance in human development and societal gravity.

Im just against the notion that gay men are to blame about the "pussification" of society.

In my personal experience gay men are actually tougher because life shits on them twice.

In my experience, kids will fight 100x harder for these types of intrinsic rewards in comparison to prizes handed out on the podium. You almost never see kids go crazy when they get handed a medal, but when dad agrees to take them to Baskin n Robbins after the tournament, they go crazy.

In the end kid trophies are rewards for the parents. Kids are far more practical and require tangible rewards not an abstract representation that he won something he is too young to fully comprehend.

As i said for everyone of you there are 10 who are left on the road because they have either crazy parents or crazy coaches who think that a kid trophy is more important than actually developing a kid so that he isnt burnt out when he is a teenager.

Im one of those left on the road, at sports, at school, at life, until i managed to straigthen it up in my 20s, wasted a lot of time. Because of the mistakes of my father and mother who think they can relive their life in their sons and avoid the mistakes they did.

And yes, i had an abusive father and an abusive coach in judo, but that same coach was actually learned and had a PhD in sport science specialized in judo, and that same crazy, abusive coach when put to taught children, he is a completely different person, he will put the children to play different games to build different attributes and somehow manages to keep a horde of brats in line, happy and attentive without the need to yell.

Kids are kids, teenagers are teenagers and adults are adults, let kids play, life is hard as it is.

A father physically abusing his kids is terrible. you or any other child should never have to experience this. my mothers step dad was quite the son of a bitch to her and my aunts. but what Seamus myself and others are doing shouldn't be conscrewed as abuse. not saying that you're saying it is. my parental philosophy is that of a loving benevolent dictator my children must do what I tell them, without back talk, eye rolling or sass. I do believe in very limited corporal punishment( couple swats on the behind with open hand) as a last resort to continued bad behavior or if the initial offense is really egregious i.e. stealing, hitting your sister. not the lashings with leather belts I got from time to time though I did deserve most of them.

I hope we have different definitions of twerk Jack, because your solution to getting in a fight is head down ass up booty shaking.

my definition is head shaking booty down. you kids need to listen to some Mystikal. Seamus for "father of the Year".

Just to stir it up here are some more of his 'spastic' fights

mate, you're taking this the wrong way and you're way too butthurt over your son being called 'spastic' on a forum

chill out please and if you can't take an honest opinion from somebody you don't know may be you shouldn't be posting on a forum open to the whole wide world

now, to be honest I only watched the first of the video you posted and there he seemed really spastic. most of his hand movements resembled slaps which at this age is not something that will go unnoticed by parents or referees.

your kid is game, he's hungry, you should spend some time working with him on this, I did not mean to insult.

have you tried talking to the coach and seeing what he thinks about this?

Twerking as a form of self defense? Hmm, I'll hold off judgement til I see it but not sure if turning your back to your opponent is a good idea.

kid's fine.

you and your partner are loud as hell and could probably simmer down a bit. :p

mate, you're taking this the wrong way and you're way too butthurt over your son being called 'spastic' on a forum

chill out please and if you can't take an honest opinion from somebody you don't know may be you shouldn't be posting on a forum open to the whole wide world

now, to be honest I only watched the first of the video you posted and there he seemed really spastic. most of his hand movements resembled slaps which at this age is not something that will go unnoticed by parents or referees.

your kid is game, he's hungry, you should spend some time working with him on this, I did not mean to insult.

have you tried talking to the coach and seeing what he thinks about this?

His coach contacted me and we spoke about his training. He said he is pleased with how game he is and that he doesn't show any nerves. He spoke about how he attacks from differing sides which is rare for someone his age.
I think I mentioned it seems to be a switch that goes off in his head during competitions that it should be 110% osoto gari's. When he is training and he is doing randori I make sure he is not allowed to try that move. One thing I noticed him doing is he even puts himself in bad situations to practice his counters.
Its worth remembering he has only been doing judo maybe nine months at one evening a week so I don't think he is doing to bad. He seems to be a really competitive kid and I don't wanna stifle it. He has been wrestling properly for a year now at one day a week and all his coaches talk about how he is a physical kid and is not scared.
I guess another thing I should consider is he is the smallest by far in his judo club, the closest in age is maybe nine so he has to be pretty full on to keep up sometimes, the first time he did a judo comp against someone his own weight it was a bit of a revelation to him.

A few years ago when I played rugby (at the age of 12-15), parents always sooked about the better players on teams. My parents were not exempt from this either. It's just a natural instinct of a parent to try and defend their child, because lets be honest, 95% of parents spoonfeed their children that they are the greatest and will become amazing in the history books, when their kid gets destroyed by someone far superior and of the same age, it turns into a sookfest. Trust me man, your kid is wicked good.

only thing i see that is questionable is the flailing of his arms and legs which is probably resulting in some inadvertent kicks and punches. nothing wrong with being aggressive but he seems to lack control.

See why ref would call a pause. Assuming that they would prefer to discourage aggression being used to execute poor technique. Appears that kid is looking for an uchi mata, but throwing your leg out randomly at speed looks a lot like a sloppy kick.

Twerking as a form of self defense? Hmm, I'll hold off judgement til I see it but not sure if turning your back to your opponent is a good idea.

[YT]0_Q3GkIG7yE[/YT]

Reminds me of Stephen Fry's tactic when he used to get beaten up by bullies at school - he used to cry "Don't! You'll give me an erection!". They don't teach that in Gracie Combatives.

As for the kid - I don't see a problem with his aggression unless he regularly injures others. One of the difficulties with children his age is getting them to be aggressive enough, they usually fight each other like wet noodles.

If you have to ask you probably already know the answer. Tell your son to work more on his technique, no one is every criticized for using too much of that.

Back