is my son being to rough in judo?

Probably not a shared opinion on here but your son does look spastic in there.

I would focus on teaching him to be explosive when he needs to instead of wasting his energy like this. Additionally at a higher level he will get his ass whopped by fighting like this.

Once again, I am old. I grew up in the 70's, 80's. The Cold War was a big deal. The U.S. played that up so much with that hockey game, Rambo, that by the 1984 Olympics they had male adults chomping at the bit like for the wrestling team. IMO soon after is when it became not so great to win and interestingly this is when USA wrestling almost died off.

With mma, it has seen a much needed comeback. It is at least a little okay to be tough again. I just hope it filters back down.

Honestly Gramps, I think you might suffering from a severe case of the Good Ol' Days.

Honestly Gramps, I think you might suffering from a severe case of the Good Ol' Days.

Ha ha yeah maybe. Back in my day...

I can't stand the average male I see walking down the street. Absorbed in their fancy electronic devices at work, at home, on the commute. So soft. They'd be the first to go. Who here changes their own oil?

edit: Most people that do bjj/wrestle automatically get classified as above average in my imaginary rankings book! So most of you are good.

Last edited:
A little back on topic. Really, really doubt your son's treatment had anything to do with race. Seems to me that your partner might be pulling the card just a smidge early.

Yes, it seems to be a current occurrence when talking to dads.
The modern society or more like school system in their town/countries does not encourage boys being boys or even sports achievement.
From a young age, they are told that it is ok just too participate. They do not even awards trophies. They just give certificates of participation.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging participation over winning for a child, and you don't have to do so at the expense of the prestige of winning. Participation trophies and the like are stupid, imo, but a child's involvement in sports shouldn't be predicated on winning.

I'm not sure. I've never competed as a kid :p

I assume by your statement though, they usually don't?

they don't. As an adult novice I am not allowed to do any armlocks. They don't allow chokes I think till about 13 or so.

A little back on topic. Really, really doubt your son's treatment had anything to do with race. Seems to me that your partner might be pulling the card just a smidge early.

I doubt it was racial. Well at least i hope it wasn't.
It could be possibly club related.
My son had three fights and each time he got stopped at least once. Between his fights the ref did around ten other fights and some of those kids where knocking lumps off each other and he stopped none of them.
Also three of those ended there ninety seconds with no points and he put them to extra time where as when my sons final fight ended on zero points he awarded it to the other kid.
His head coach who is normally the most laid back guy going was straight up questioning the ref saying it was nonsense.

Eh... you're basing this on nothing.

Without being present and seeing the events in action, you can't with confidence say that it was or wasn't.

Working in the public school system and getting paid to coach kids, he has a point. There is an overwhelming tide of rhetoric in America that male masculinity is archaic and needs to be done away with. This includes things like aggression and competition.

Because having a lack of aggression and poor results within venues that require competition to succeed, Americans who cannot or refuse to embrace masculine traits that are needed to get ahead will use shame tactics to put a stigma on the exact things that combat sports build in young men. They can therefore can use their magniloquence to invalidate anyone who engages in masculine activities such as BJJ, wrestling, football, or anything sort of alpha behavior.

Einarr may come off as an assinine prick, but he has a point here that I have to deal with on a daily basis as a teacher and coach of young males.

Being gay is not equal to being feminine, the heck, even being female is not necesarily equal to being feminine.

Prostitution is legal in Mexico (as long as you are independent), try picking a fight with the gay prostitutes where i live and you wont leave there in one piece, no matter who you are.

Working in the public school system and getting paid to coach kids, he has a point. There is an overwhelming tide of rhetoric in America that male masculinity is archaic and needs to be done away with. This includes things like aggression and competition.

Because having a lack of aggression and poor results within venues that require competition to succeed, Americans who cannot or refuse to embrace masculine traits that are needed to get ahead will use shame tactics to put a stigma on the exact things that combat sports build in young men. They can therefore can use their magniloquence to invalidate anyone who engages in masculine activities such as BJJ, wrestling, football, or anything sort of alpha behavior.

Einarr may come off as an assinine prick, but he has a point here that I have to deal with on a daily basis as a teacher and coach of young males.

I got flamed pretty hard a few weeks back in the S&C forum for wanting my kid to wrestle along with football. the reaction I got was like I had said I want my kid to be a serial killer drug addict. this sherdog place has a lot of effeminate beta's and the sad part about that is, most are unaware they are such.

I got flamed pretty hard a few weeks back in the S&C forum for wanting my kid to wrestle along with football. the reaction I got was like I had said I want my kid to be a serial killer drug addict. this sherdog place has a lot of effeminate beta's and the sad part about that is, most are unaware they are such.

That's leaving out a lot of info about that post there bud... Lol

I wonder about these posters that use the word "betas" ect. Are they "alphas"?

those parents should tell their kid to step their game up and stop complaining.

lets face it, most of the complaints come from wannabe fathers that try to use their children to live out their athletic fantasies. Sports are good and all but ihmo there are better things for your child to do to learn true aggression and tatics. Chess and Go are prime examples.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging participation over winning for a child, and you don't have to do so at the expense of the prestige of winning. Participation trophies and the like are stupid, imo, but a child's involvement in sports shouldn't be predicated on winning.

The parents were telling that it reflects on the new generation.
It create a bunch of useless child that turn into teen and then adults. They just expect to rewarded in life because they just participated in life. They believe that society owes them something. They are pissed off at others working harder and achieving better. They just want everyone else to be on the same income as them. They in return tell their kids it is ok to not be competitive and achievers. They are not go getters because that what they were told from kids.

Once again, it is an opinions from people I spoke too.

Probably not a shared opinion on here but your son does look spastic in there.

I would focus on teaching him to be explosive when he needs to instead of wasting his energy like this. Additionally at a higher level he will get his ass whopped by fighting like this.

So he looks spastic because actually works for the throw!

this sherdog place has a lot of effeminate beta's and the sad part about that is, most are unaware they are such.

Given how betas are generally typified by how much they talk about the qualities of other people in an attempt to bolster their own self-image, I would agree.

I wonder about these posters that use the word "betas" ect. Are they "alphas"?

As long as no other alphas are around.

I am starting a wolf pack of one right now. I am accepting new members.

The parents were telling that it reflects on the new generation.
It create a bunch of useless child that turn into teen and then adults. They just expect to rewarded in life because they just participated in life. They believe that society owes them something. They are pissed off at others working harder and achieving better. They just want everyone else to be on the same income as them. They in return tell their kids it is ok to not be competitive and achievers. They are not go getters because that what they were told from kids.

Once again, it is an opinions from people I spoke too.

LOL BS, thats some serious multi-level marketing

Thats just a way to create mindless slaves, see you work hard but you dont get paid enough because you arent trying hard enough. Just keep going in the rat race working 50 hours a week and dying in a ditch when you are too old to work.

The lose you get squat mentality will only make 2 kinds of people, people with low self-esteem that achieves nothing because its afraid of failure and people who will do anything to get ahead in life, which pretty much represents all of the world politicians.

So he looks spastic because actually works for the throw!

Exactly
As i have said my son only started judo last year and does it one evening a week. He has done less than ten competitions.
I don't expect him to be Steve poulin.

Back