is my son being to rough in judo?

seamus1979

Green Belt
Reaction score
So my son has had another judo comp today and yet again he is being stopped for roughness and I'm getting parents complain to me that my son has hurt there kid.
He does a bit of wrestling so he is a bit more physical than some other kids.
I don't want it to be he is being a bully but I can't really see it but I'm his dad so of course I'm biased

[Yt]qxFcfEdsmJo[/MEDIA]
[Yt]qKZr9x2GdN8[/MEDIA]
[Yt]fSfmIzldKLE[/MEDIA]

With the competition today my partner came with me. She pointed out that a lot of kids where going very rough with each other but none of them where being stopped, however all those kids where white and my son is mixed race. I really don't want to believe that's the case.

It's good that your son has a warrior spirit and fighting mentality. With the media and schools being controlled by feminists and gays we're seeing boys getting increasingly pussified and never really becoming men. Tell him to keep being awesome.

Too rough ? He has fighting spirit , you should be proud :D

Einarr was on board the moment he saw the kid only does Osoto.

To be honest, your kid does have a physical, even bullying, style. But the people who think that's a bad thing should probably pick a different sport, like curling.

he does a lot of "fake" leg attacks whilst holding the other guys head down in a dominant grip, ie what look like kicks instead of proper sweeps or throws to the rear without any attempt to move their upper body in the appropriate direction. They decided to clamp down on that loads this year. Pretty harsh to be pulling up 7 year olds for it, especially when it's your own fault if you let someone get a dominant grip on you. That's what it looks like to me though.

That said, I remember starting Judo at 7 years old too and some of the adults were total shits and would scream at their kids for losing, proper yelling at them til they cried and would berate referees for all sorts if their kid lost.

Very few judo player's have the confidence to have a constant attack style like your son; you should be proud.

It's good that your son has a warrior spirit and fighting mentality. With the media and schools being controlled by feminists and gays we're seeing boys getting increasingly pussified and never really becoming men. Tell him to keep being awesome.

100% agree

Are you his judo coach?

Your kid does a lot of rough stuff that reminds me off the things I used to do when I was a kid and did judo. Not out of malice though, just ignorance. At times it looks likes he's giving his opponent a semi- hook or kick instead. It's not really sportsmanlike. It's not that bad in the third clip but pretty bad in the first. He might overwhelm these kids right now but I'll tell you they won't stand for this shit when he gets in a more experienced, older group. They'll give it right back and judo will get real hard real fast, I can tell you that from experience.

Your son is awesome, he should keep it going! He's looking like a real warrior! :D

your son's good, his ferocity and techniques will improve the other kids. he's doing the right thing by competing like that.

but record sideways like this:

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Camera.jpg

Einarr was on board the moment he saw the kid only does Osoto.

To be honest, your kid does have a physical, even bullying, style. But the people who think that's a bad thing should probably pick a different sport, like curling.
Thanks
To be honest he started wrestling before judo and he knows it as just head and arm shift.
I was a bit gutted for him today when the ref called it for the other kid when there was zero points on the board. His coach was up at the ref saying it was nonsense. I just had to explain to my son it doesn't matter and there is always another comp around the corner and all that matters is he had fun.

I've had parents complain to me that "your son is choking my son!!!" Or "he is cheating, he keeps going for the same move!"

I have spoke to him that he needs to try the other moves he knows when he is doing competitions but as soon as he is up in a comp he is trying osoto gari straight away and mainly I guess because it works most of the time.

Would you guys say its right for the ref to keep stopping my son and giving him warnings?

Thanks for all the replies.

not a judo player here but if these parents are letting their kids go to tourneys then they should expect the other kid trying the best to win. they can stay out of tourneys if it's too rough for them

No
I sometimes help teach his wrestling class but I have no experience of judo.

Then when someone starts giving you shit, tell them that you are not his coach and tell them where he can find him.

If they tell you its your son, tell him that you dont know a lot about judo so you trust his coach since he has X and Y credentials teaching kids.

Most people are afraid of talking to coaches about whats proper judo.

This was his first bjj tourney two months ago.
[Yt]uYocUEVOD9Y[/MEDIA]
And another judo comp a week after
[Yt]O4MDHe1YxGI[/MEDIA]

I think he is getting to the point where he is getting a bit fed up of the judo comps every other week. He loves getting the gold medals but he doesn't enjoy that he misses his wrestling class on a Sunday morning. His coach has spoke to me about the BWA having fourteen grades for wrestling now and he wants my son to start doing them so he can start teach the younger kids when he is about 13-14.

imho it has nothing to do with his "mixed race". He looks like a wrester trying to do judo.

If he's not being rough, he's not doing judo.

Also, if people don't like that your kid keeps doing the same move... tough shit. That means it's working, and their kid has no answer for it.

Back