is my son being to rough in judo?

Sorry to revive a thread but I just wanted to give an update
I pulled my son from entering any competitions and he has just concentrated and had fun with classes. One class of wrestling,bjj and judo a week. He sometimes joins me in my sombo class as well but that's rare.
His game seems to have jumped up a major level now because of it. His judo coach does have to pull him up when he tries wrestling moves in class though. On Friday he did an arm drag to suplex on a kid so the coach took him aside and said your not allowed to lock your arms around the waist and showed him how to do it with grips on the Gi. He will have been doing judo a year now this month and its great seeing all the friends he has made.

Were going to Florida in a week so we discussed him maybe trying a class at a local ATT or Gracie barra or maybe try a private.

His judo coach has asked my son to do an invitational in Ireland representing the club as he feels he is ready now. He will also be entering his second bjj comp in November.
For his wrestling he has just passed his first grading. The British wrestling association has set out 14 gradings towards a "black belt".
I will post some videos of his next competitions for you guys to give your honest opinion.
And again thank you for your help.

Sorry to revive a thread but I just wanted to give an update
I pulled my son from entering any competitions and he has just concentrated and had fun with classes. One class of wrestling,bjj and judo a week. He sometimes joins me in my sombo class as well but that's rare.
His game seems to have jumped up a major level now because of it. His judo coach does have to pull him up when he tries wrestling moves in class though. On Friday he did an arm drag to suplex on a kid so the coach took him aside and said your not allowed to lock your arms around the waist and showed him how to do it with grips on the Gi. He will have been doing judo a year now this month and its great seeing all the friends he has made.

Were going to Florida in a week so we discussed him maybe trying a class at a local ATT or Gracie barra or maybe try a private.

His judo coach has asked my son to do an invitational in Ireland representing the club as he feels he is ready now. He will also be entering his second bjj comp in November.
For his wrestling he has just passed his first grading. The British wrestling association has set out 14 gradings towards a "black belt".
I will post some videos of his next competitions for you guys to give your honest opinion.
And again thank you for your help.

Just watched a few of your videos. You need to chill out, it's meant to be a bit of fun at that age and your screaming like it's for an Olympic medal. I've done it in the past with my kids and I see other parents do it. It really doesn't look good.

Your lucky the ref didn't penalize your kid for your portrait framing instead landscape.

On Friday he did an arm drag to suplex on a kid so the coach took him aside and said your not allowed to lock your arms around the waist and showed him how to do it with grips on the Gi.

If he likes armdrags teach him armdrag > Hikkikomi Gaeshi. Very slick and high percentage.

It's good that your son has a warrior spirit and fighting mentality. With the media and schools being controlled by feminists and gays we're seeing boys getting increasingly pussified and never really becoming men. Tell him to keep being awesome.

Einarr I normally have respect for everything you post, but shut your fucking mouth with this homophobic shit. WTF does does someones sexuality or political opinion have to do with their toughness as a person. Dickhead.

In my old judo club we had a 12 year old who had the strength of a 15 year old. He broke many a ribs and feelings. Was never stopped or being too rough neither. I'm not sure why they are complaining that he is an aggressive combatant. If his coach isn't noting a problem during randori at the dojo or tournament, don't over think it.

Im going to go against the grain and be honest: Your son's technique isnt awe inspiring, nor is he some kind of grappling phenom. He runs forward and spams one move, mostly missing 40-50 moves before getting one. For his sake, you need to correct that. Forming good habits at a young age will do much more for him when he is older than gold medals at the peewee level. Even though it feels good when your son dominates, the risk of losing because he competes like a more mature player far outweighs the ecstasy of gold.

He does have one thing that will give him a gigantic advantage when he is older: He is not afraid to push himself to 100% of his cardiac capacity. For every 100 kids I coach, I will see maybe 5 that can do that. It isnt something you can teach; it has to be built into the kids psyche.

For those 5/100, I will almost 100% of the time I will see the same thing: Either they will burnout and quit, or they will become state champs/All Americans.

Just read this. Agreed.

On the cardiac envelope.
I think that may be taught in young athletes under 10yo. Most parents and coaches won't like the process.

I forgot to add how long my son has been training, he has been wrestling properly one day a week for the last year, bjj one day a week for the last year and judo since about September last year.
I'm not sure how to compare him to someone like Steve poulin but I'm sure my son is not training no where near as much as him. I'm trying t keep it fun for him and not burn him out at all.
I do combat sambo twice a week and he watches me as his bjj class finishes half an hour before my class finishes. He is now telling me he wants to try it as it looks fun.

Your son imo is hopping around different styles too much.
Build a base. Teach him the commonalities of multiple grappling systems. But keep building his base. It's better to be great at one thing than average at 12.

Ymmv.

I agree with Einaar. So blah to you feminists nazis. If all was equal then wouldn't we see the same levels of athleticism in the elite levels of physically rigorous sports? Women have their own strengths, and physical and athletic superiority isn't on them. This doesn't mean women cannot beat men, it's a difference in physiology.

As long as he keeps it within the rules and doesn't injure anyone in training, it's fine IMO.

Einarr I normally have respect for everything you post, but shut your fucking mouth with this homophobic shit. WTF does does someones sexuality or political opinion have to do with their toughness as a person. Dickhead.

Hahaha, go cry to your boyfriend about it.

Back