Is Jones becoming a "GSP like" champ?

No questioning the strategy, but there were opportunities in the Glover and DC fight that he didn't exploit. Like the mod said he seemed to decide to ride the decision. In that, he is much like GSP. Which is the point that I am making.

What opportunities did he not exploit. Jones in my opinion looks for the opportunity if there.Against DC i saw him tryin to set up that guillotine and when it wasnt there he moved on. I dont remember anything in the Glover fight where it looked like he had an opportunity to finish.

Come on. Vitor and Chael are both MW's. Just because they stepped up, doesn't belay the fact that they both stepped in at a significant disadvantage.

Vitor got more wins at lhw than DC does. If you count the wins then you cant discount the loses. I just get tired of people bringing that up. You fight who they put in front you.

It's sort of just what happens, when the best in the world face each other. When the skill levels are so high and competitive, the foes get deadlocked and gruelingly even each other skills out upon each other.

That always happens when two fighter are at the top of their game, and I personally find those fights more intense and exciting.

What opportunities did he not exploit. Jones in my opinion looks for the opportunity if there.Against DC i saw him tryin to set up that guillotine and when it wasnt there he moved on. I dont remember anything in the Glover fight where it looked like he had an opportunity to finish.

After he cranked Glovers shoulder, he seemed just lay back not going for the kill. Glover couldn't throw the right hand effectively. Jones dominated, but didn't seem to be trying to put him away.

Well DC has been finished many times in his career just look at his record...Some guys are tough and hard to finish just look at the who is who list that GSP fought.

People gave him shit for decisions but he has the best/toughest resume in MMA.

fighting guys that arent finished easily. DC never lost, Gus was finished early on vs Davis but not since then, Glover had a huge win streak.

Jones is also not a power puncher.

Well DC has been finished many times in his career just look at his record...Some guys are tough and hard to finish just look at the who is who list that GSP fought.

Hey...

RESPECT!

FUCKING POST MORE.

/comment.

Im not sure i follow, unless your being sarcastic.DC only got 1 loss and Jones fight resume is more impressive in my opinion

Well I think his last 3 guys were probably his toughest opponents.

He fought exactly like GSP, The only reason people thought it was "exciting" is because DC was able to make it at least a little competitive.

Jones fans will continue to talk shit about GSP, though.

Jones finishes the guys who aren't able to make it competitive, while GSP would dominate them for 5 rounds. GSP is/was clearly an all-time great. If he had picked up a couple more championship finishes over guys that he seemingly "should" have, I don't think he'd get nearly the same criticism he gets.

Compare Jones/Sonnen to GSP/Hardy. Two defenses against guys that really had no business being there, in the middle of their reigns (and both in Newark, oddly enough). Jones finished Sonnen in the first, while GSP was absolutely dominant for 25 minutes, but didn't finish.

Hey...

RESPECT!

FUCKING POST MORE.

/comment.

Hey bud good to hear from you. I would love to spend more time here but life for me right now just does not allow it. Good to see you're still posting man take care.

Jones loses too many rounds. GSP had a pretty crazy streak there for awhile.

This. It's the difference between winning like Jones does and dominating like GSP did.

Im not sure i follow, unless your being sarcastic.DC only got 1 loss and Jones fight resume is more impressive in my opinion

DC is a tough SOB. Finishing him is not easy and his resume speaks for itself.

Its only 3. Come back and post when Jones wins decisions for 10 years.

He opened the fight with an axe kick. Despite being told to hit and move by his corner, engaged in clinching with a clincher all fight. Hardly threw a jab all fight. Jumped guard.

Jones has already been that way for a while, but he is very active in his fights. I don't think he fights that safe really. He throws a lot of really damaging blows. He is just fighting extremely tough guys.

Nope, well I don't think so.

If you asked...
'Is Jones fighting bad ass mother fuckers who are tough as nails and hard to finish?'.

Yah.

SO many guys would have folded and got finished last night.

I would need to see him win more decisions in a row for me to say that he is becoming like GSP. You can't finish a fight every single time. I thought he really tried to finish Gus in the 4th round of their fight, but Gus was just a warrior and somehow stood up. I think a lot of Jones' finishes in the UFC came when he had top position in full guard and guys like Texeira and Cormier are hard to hold down and ground and pound.

I would need to see him win more decisions in a row for me to say that he is becoming like GSP. You can't finish a fight every single time. I thought he really tried to finish Gus in the 4th round of their fight, but Gus was just a warrior and somehow stood up. I think a lot of Jones' finishes in the UFC came when he had top position in full guard and guys like Texeira and Cormier are hard to hold down and ground and pound.

Fair enough. He just doesn't seem as aggressive when he has top position or an advantageous position.

Back