Is Jones becoming a "GSP like" champ?

Navy_Chief

Black Belt
Reaction score
With last nights dominating performance, Jones has notched his 3rd decision in a row. Is he starting to become the kind a champ that GSP became? One that dominates his opponent but does not look to finish. One that out game plans his opponent.

Much like GSP, Jones was a finisher in the beginning of his reign. Is it Greg Jackson's influence that has made getting the win more important than winning big? What do you think?

With last nights dominating performance, Jones has notched his 3rd decision in a row. Is he starting to become the kind a champ that GSP became? One that dominates his opponent but does not look to finish. One that out game plans his opponent.

Much like GSP, Jones was a finisher in the beginning of his reign. Is it Greg Jackson's influence that has made getting the win more important than winning big? What do you think?

Jones is boring now. Rumble or Gus would be excellent reps for the belt.

He put in a workmanlike performance where he was clearly better last night, the same kind of performance GSP was routinely criticized for, yet Jones fans are letting us know what a violent obliteration it was because Daniel got taken down lol

He put in a workmanlike performance where he was clearly better last night, the same kind of performance GSP was routinely criticized for, yet Jones fans are letting us know what a violent obliteration it was because Daniel got taken down lol

i think it's because gsp's fights are less exciting

Jones said in the post-fight conference that Randy pretty much leaned on people his whole career, and he's a legend. It's a comment that seems to have been pretty universally overlooked.

Yeah Jones is a little too content to just ride an advantage. He has some great finishes but in the last few years it's just MWs. He's obviously capable of more, but he seems content to ride the decisions a bit.

No question he's the LHW GOAT, but his grindy decisions are not performances you want to rewatch or anything.

It just seems that both Jones and GSP are so much more physically gifted then their opponents that they do not feel the need to take any risks. Makes for kinda boring, albeit dominating, fights.

Petey you think he could have finished the fight last night?

I figured this was coming. Jones is fighting the cream of the crop right now. It's not easy to finish a guy like DC, Gus or Glover.

He needs a fight like the Dan Hardy one for me to subscribe to the belief that he's become like GSP. You know a fight that is an absolute mismatch, where he still doesn't get the finish. So far the mismatches he's had like Sonnen, Vitor, and Rampage he's gotten the finishes.

in the sense that he looks unbeatable, i suppose.

Jones said in the post-fight conference that Randy pretty much leaned on people his whole career, and he's a legend. It's a comment that seems to have been pretty universally overlooked.

Yeah Jones is a little too content to just ride an advantage. He has some great finishes but in the last few years it's just MWs. He's obviously capable of more, but he seems content to ride the decisions a bit.

No question he's the LHW GOAT, but his grindy decisions are not performances you want to rewatch or anything.

From a striker's point of view, I see him open up a bit, but then he gets tagged and goes back to his comfort zone. His defense is getting better, but still lacking. He's fighting smarter, but it's taking away from his exciting dynamic

All Greg cares about is finding that waterfall.

I figured this was coming. Jones is fighting the cream of the crop right now. It's not easy to finish a guy like DC, Gus or Glover.

He needs a fight like the Dan Hardy one for me to subscribe to the belief that he's become like GSP. You know a fight that is an absolute mismatch, where he still doesn't get the finish. So far the mismatches he's had like Sonnen, Vitor, and Rampage he's gotten the finishes.

You don't think he should have finished Glover?

From a striker's point of view, I see him open up a bit, but then he gets tagged and goes back to his comfort zone. His defense is getting better, but still lacking. He's fighting smarter, but it's taking away from his exciting dynamic

Even from a grappler's perspective, he had chances to really go for it in round 4 when he had Cormier down in half-guard for a minute up against the cage. He kinda went for a guillotine like he did to Bader, but when it wasn't right there for him it seemed like he kinda made a decision to go to a decision. I feel like 2012 Jones would have started dropping hellbows. He's less thirsty for blood and more 'smart' as you say. And yeah it's not quite as fun to watch.

No. GSP greased. Jon Jones poked.

Only Greg Jackson greases and then pokes.

Even from a grappler's perspective, he had chances to really go for it in round 4 when he had Cormier down in half-guard for a minute up against the cage. He kinda went for a guillotine like he did to Bader, but when it wasn't right there for him it seemed like he kinda made a decision to go to a decision. I feel like 2012 Jones would have started dropping hellbows. He's less thirsty for blood and more 'smart' as you say. And yeah it's not quite as fun to watch.

He wants the W and the "told you so" more than the fight and glory, basically.

He fought exactly like GSP, The only reason people thought it was "exciting" is because DC was able to make it at least a little competitive.

Jones fans will continue to talk shit about GSP, though.

I agree that he seems to not go for the throat when he has the chance. I saw the same thing in the Glover fight.

Back