Interim Champ > Undisputed Champ

Fedora Millionankles

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Has there ever been a time where the Interim Champ was ranked higher than the “Undisputed” Champ?
The only time I could even see that being possible was when GSP beat Bisping, but even then, I would have favored GSP over Whittaker.
I have to admit it; the UFC really trashed their HW division by letting go the Lineal Champ Ngannou and then now force feeding us the Jones/ Stipe matchup that almost no one cares about with Aspinall waiting indefinitely to be crowned the rightful champ.
The UFC is a shit show these days.
IMG_6826.png

Last edited:
Yes the situation is absurd. But in your eagerness to throw away the Old Guard, you're ignoring that a goodly part of the shit show aspect is the haste with which the UFC gave an interim belt in the first place.

What does "letting go the lineal champ" mean? They didn't cut him, he left because he was making demands to get paid more than his events even make and to take years off in his late 30s that nobody in their right mind would agree to, so he's someone else's problem now. He already hasn't fought MMA in 2 years with nothing upcoming, and his lone boxing bout lost tens of millions.

No idea about sherdog rankings, but UFC list the champ then rank the contenders, so they still have Jones as champ even now and Aspinall ranked #1 contender. There have been several times where a challenger was the betting favorite over the champ.

Yes the situation is absurd. But in your eagerness to throw away the Old Guard, you're ignoring that a goodly part of the shit show aspect is the haste with which the UFC gave an interim belt in the first place.
Literally the only reason there's an interim belt in the first place is because the UFC charged absurd prices for Jon Jones' retirement fight at MSG and couldn't justify the price without him once he was injured.

As usual they made an interim belt to save their bottom line, not because the division needed one or it actually meant anything. As is apparent by how they're completely ignoring it and continuing with the original Jon vs Stipe fight.

Max and Aldo in that weird situation after Conor vacated; but before they fought to unify.

Has there ever been a time where the Interim Champ was ranked higher than the “Undisputed” Champ?
The only time I could even see that being possible was when GSP beat Bisping, but even then, I would have favored GSP over Whittaker.
I have to admit it; the UFC really trashed their HW division by letting go the Lineal Champ Ngannou and then now force feeding us the Jones/ Stipe matchup that almost no one cares about with Aspinall waiting indefinitely to be crowned the rightful champ.
View attachment 1018633
Ngannou left, and thank the stars for that. He’s a dishonest to the core, lowlife, diva. He couldn’t draw for shit. And thought he could demand to box on the UFC’s dime.

Fuck that. I’m glad he’s gone. Once Jones is gone the division will regain legitimacy. Until then I don’t care about the division.

And whose poll is this? Context helps. Post the source.

Reactions: JKS
View attachment 1018633

Barao was like 3 or 4 P4P as the interim champ because Cruz was hurt for like 5 years.

The reason interim champs don't get ranked higher is nowadays they either become the champ or get stripped. They don't stay interim champ for an extended period of time.

Also fuck these rankings.

Once Jones submits a 63 year old Stipe he will fight Aspinall. I know the JBG will give us that matchup. I know this because USADA will be gone.

Ngannou left, and thank the stars for that. He’s a dishonest to the core, lowlife, diva. He couldn’t draw for shit. And thought he could demand to box on the UFC’s dime.

Fuck that. I’m glad he’s gone. Once Jones is gone the division will regain legitimacy. Until then I don’t care about the division.

Sorry about that, I thought I linked it. It’s up now, but here you go.

Can't wait for the salt when Jones finishes Aspinall
Can’t wait for the salt when Aspinall finishes Jones.
See, anyone can make silly statements not rooted in reality. Nobody knows how the fight will play out and to think you do just makes you look foolish.

It appears Ngannou is a draw now. What a difference a year makes.

Your shtick is getting old.

Can’t wait for the salt when Aspinall finishes Jones.
See, anyone can make silly statements not rooted in reality. Nobody knows how the fight will play out and to think you do just makes you look foolish.
Jones is GOAT brah, Bones knows.

Back