Is Jones becoming a "GSP like" champ?

Dominant yes, Also like GSP would challenge guys in their area of strength and win

I think it speaks more to the level of comp. Bones fights the best in the division every time out so do you really expect him to finish these guys?? The difference is Bones is just a more exciting fighter than gsp in general. George would literally dry hump a guy for five rounds... We haven't seen bones do that.. In fact he has at least a couple wild exchanges every fight where he takes a chance... Gsp takes no chances.

He ruined my special fight.

I know that feel.
DC was doing the right thing until round 4. He was in the right space that makes Jones vulnerable and uncomfortable. Jones took over though.

Round 5 was frustrating from both of them. No one had a sense of urgency on the card at all last night. UFC matchmaking is starting to get a little stale

Dominant yes, Also like GSP would challenge guys in their area of strength and win

What! That's false bro. Gsp would do the exact opposite. Wrestle strikers and strike with wrestlers.. I lost a lot if respect when gsp fought Alves and won't exchange with once.

You're all mostly right.

Legitimate question as a grown ass man to you fuckers -- can you fault him?

I think it speaks more to the level of comp. Bones fights the best in the division every time out so do you really expect him to finish these guys?? The difference is Bones is just a more exciting fighter than gsp in general. George would literally dry hump a guy for five rounds... We haven't seen bones do that.. In fact he has at least a couple wild exchanges every fight where he takes a chance... Gsp takes no chances.

Same could be said for GSP as far as the level of competition. Perhaps wanting to stay champion is the driving force behind playing a safer game.

With last nights dominating performance, Jones has notched his 3rd decision in a row. Is he starting to become the kind a champ that GSP became? One that dominates his opponent but does not look to finish. One that out game plans his opponent.

Much like GSP, Jones was a finisher in the beginning of his reign. Is it Greg Jackson's influence that has made getting the win more important than winning big? What do you think?

GSP was a finisher BEFORE his reign. He finished one defense against BJ Penn.

Jones has finished Rampage, Machida, Vitor, and Sonnen as champion. If you want to argue that those guys are lower down in terms of the quality of competition, fine, but had GSP also finished Hardy, Koscheck and Shields, I doubt he'd get bashed for not being a finisher.

Before the fight it was all about how DC was going to rag-doll Jones and knock him out

Jones does the unthinkable to most and stuff DC all night and takes DC down 5 times and completely neutralizes him and now we have this thread?

lol

Many thought he wasn't even going to win. Now he is getting criticized for not kicking the shit out of and getting after the finish of supposedly his hardest test ever and 'simply' beating him at his own Olympic class game

I will give this to some Sherdoggers, when they make a commitment to go retard they go all out. No half-assing it!

I agree that he seems to not go for the throat when he has the chance. I saw the same thing in the Glover fight.

Yeah he sabotaged Glover's biggest weapon in the first round with that shoulder crank, which was pretty awesome, but then he kinda was like oh good, I can ride this one out now. He did some work in that fight for sure, but didn't really go for it.

Face it, it's not that JBJ is fighting safe boring fights, it's his most recent competition has gotten tougher for him to finish.

Yeah. It`s not like he is fighting mw anymore with a huge advantage, he is fighting the very best of LHW and that might be difficult as fck to finish the very best of LHW. Untill Jones makes a mistake ala Spider or his chin fail to him we gonna see alot of decisions from now on, just like GSP, Aldo, MW etc... yeahhh Ronda finishes fights but it`s not like her opponents are so well rounded.

Round 5 was frustrating from both of them. No one had a sense of urgency on the card at all last night. UFC matchmaking is starting to get a little stale
What on earth does Cormier/Jones have to do with matchmaking?

His "domination" as you called it is nowhere near the level of GSP's. GSP dominated, Jones just gets the win.

1. GSP wasn't finishing fights in the beginning of his reign. The only 'finish' he has during his championship run is against BJ, in which is hardly considered a finish.

2. Jones has 4 decision wins and 4 finishes. Of his 4 decision wins, he absolutely tooled Rashad, tooled Glover, and had hard fought wins against Gus and Cormier.

3. Jones looks to actually finish fights

I know that feel.
DC was doing the right thing until round 4. He was in the right space that makes Jones vulnerable and uncomfortable. Jones took over though.

At round 3 I was like ah shit Cormier's losing this one. He just suddenly slowed down really noticeably. He rallied a bit in the 5th but it was too late, and his punches didn't have much on them at that point.

His best chance was probably putting Jones away in the 1st or 2nd, but that's a tall order. Literally! Get it? HA!! ... okay kill me now

You're all mostly right.

Legitimate question as a grown ass man to you fuckers -- can you fault him?

I really can't, but there were past champions who seemed willing to swing for the fences. It is gonna cost him in PPV money down the road.

I am not a fan or a hater of JJ. That said, I dont blame him. Alot of people dont like him and he knows this. Why would he even care to put on exciting fights. If i was in his position i would do whatever it takes to win and keep my belt, boring or not. Lets face it, if he is that unliked and loses his belt nobody will want to see him fight for the title again.

Back