Is having children.....

that doesn't disprove his point about Japan and Canada, which is factual.

pt wasnt to disprove but to expand on effects of industrialized society on population birth/death rates

I will freely admit that I have chose not to have children yet because I enjoy having the ability to go wherever I want and do whatever I want without having to worry about another person. I can't imagine giving up that freedom right now.

Selfish? No doubt and I'm fine with that for the time being.

I also feel like it almost child abuse bringing a child into this shitty fucking world and all it's stupid nonsense.

Who knows. One day some women might actually talk me into it. Many have tried and they have all failed.

I feel like most people chalk that up to being an expense for something they are getting in return. People who are parents always say the birth of their child was the best moment of their lives. The cost of the child is simply the cost of the pleasure one receives from becoming a parent.

It all depends on why you have the kid. If the kid is used to keep a failed relationship going or used as an emotional crutch than its very selfish.

Personally I'd say life is a gift despite the struggles we face and the pleasures of life far exceed the pains. Having a kid isn't inherently bad especially if you provide them a loving home.

Like cooks1 said, it can be be either, neither or both.
Do we have children for self fulfillment or do we get fulfillment from parenting them? Are we continuing the species or continuing our genetic line at the expense of draining global natural resources? Were we born to love or to be loved?

We all must find these answers for ourselves.

I will freely admit that I have chose not to have children yet because I enjoy having the ability to go wherever I want and do whatever I want without having to worry about another person. I can't imagine giving up that freedom right now.

I also feel like it almost child abuse bringing a child into this shitty fucking world and all it's stupid nonsense.

Who knows. One day some women might actually talk me into it. Many have tried and they have all failed.

In this case I'd say it would be a mistake to have a kid to appease someone else. Nothing selfish about wanting to live your life in the fullest way.

How old are you?

No, but I think having kid(s) to save a relationship is pretty comical

Fair assessment. I just happen to think people who become parents fall more into the category of "take care of me when I'm older, I don't want be alone, I want to experience the pleasure of creating another human being" camp Rather than the "I want to advance humanity and love unconditionally" camp.

I think we often give other people our own motives. I think these words say more about you than any parent greedy or not.

Study the below movie quote and see how it applies to you and how you feel about having kids.

Bateman: Do you know what Ed Gein said about women?
Van Patten: Ed Gein? Maitre d' at Canal Bar?
Bateman: No, serial killer, Wisconsin in the fifties.
McDermott: So what did Ed say?
Bateman: When I see a pretty girl walking down the street I think two things. One part of me wants to take her out and talk to her and be real nice and sweet and treat her right.
McDermott: And what did the other part think?
Bateman: What her head would look like on a stick.

- American Psycho

Any parent in a first world country who didn't adopt a child has no business calling anyone selfish.

Thread reminds me a little of this scene

It turns out humans are social animals who like to have families and live in groups and shit.

As far as the world being what you think it is, most people don't kill themselves, and most people don't suffer from depression, despite a lot of people facing circumstances that would seem to elicit those things. And looking back in history at what a lot of people have survived through, the resilience and life instincts that humans have is pretty inspiring. That we as individuals are alive at this point is improbable, but here we are.

It depends how you bring life into the world. If you planned it and have a great strategy of raising kids well then good luck on your journey and best wishes but let's say you are not in the best part of the world, corruption, drugs, gangs, low poverty or even rich but spoiled friends who aren't lawful would it be wise to bring any child or many children into the world hastily. I notice most couples either have a kid and go with the flow but fail and continue to have more and then divorce. The kids then become reluctant to understand the meaning of family continuation. We have a long way to go before people realize it takes a college master's degree plus in order to raise children properly to be good citizens that will be valuable to the world not just themselves or greedy corporations.

Having children is neither selfish nor unselfish. Not having children is neither selfish nor unselfish. But the motivations for either decision can be either or both.

By the way, I think for a lot of guys it's a purely selfless act. They do it to make their partner happy. Or a purely selfish act. They do it to make their partner happy.

i find myself in agreement with both of these sentiments.

sene2w.jpg

Seems relevant.

No, but having more than two children is.

There isn't a single reason why anyone needs or should want more than two children, other than pure selfishness.

It's disturbing to see that the majority of mankind is so hung up on transforming their lives into some constant state of numb euphoria where all inconvenience is absent. It's no wonder pills are so often used to escape all sorts of pains.

Suffering is in itself a means to an end. We should never make our peace with it being the place to be. It urges us to change, to grow. And happiness is byproduct of growing in power, not mere momentary pleasures or absence of suffering.

Those who fail to see the beauty in the moments of bitter adversity and existential angst are the ones that should be pitied.

LOL,

Seriously dude. Your bummed at life, it gets better (for some).

Life is overwhelmingly rewarding and pleasant in my experience.

Kids are you, that's the point. Of course it's selfish but it's also selfless.

Come on now.

Practically everything we do is "selfish" if you use a broad enough definition

Back