Is having children.....

How do you know having children is the purpose of human life? What's your evidence? And how do you know life has purpose?

Evolution. The only purpose of any life is to make more life.it's the drive behind the whole show. Everything else is just sound effects.

Evolution. The only purpose of any life is to make more life.it's the drive behind the whole show. Everything else is just sound effects.

Outside of injecting ones higher power into it, evolution has no purpose, it is just something that happens. Humans evolved to love sex (which a lot of times leads to babies), and to love babies and children (which keeps babies and children alive). Not everyone loves sex and babies, but research shows that they are the two strongest things used in marketing, puppies are the third thing, which also hits on the baby instincts. Like electric lights for moths who evolved to use the light of the moon, birth control is a new thing that complicates how we evolved, but that is just for the people who can access, afford, and use them correctly. Abortion too, as most people these days are not cool with infanticide or leaving living healthy newborn babies on the rubbish pile.

Last edited:
Outside of injecting ones higher power into it, evolution has no purpose, it is just something that happens. Humans evolved to love sex (which a lot of times leads to babies), and to love babies and children (which keeps babies and children alive). Not everyone loves sex and babies, but research shows that they are the two strongest things used in marketing, puppies are the third thing, which also hits on the baby instincts. Like electric lights for moths who evolved to use the light of the moon, birth control is a new thing that complicates how we evolved, but that is just for the people who can access, afford, and use them correctly. Abortion too, as most people these days are not cool with infanticide or leaving living healthy newborn babies on the rubbish pile.

All very nice but, let me elaborate :

It is lifes purpose (replication) which is observed as evolution. Life must have the purpose of replication for without it, there would be no life. It's very existence necessitates the purpose.

All very nice but, let me elaborate :

It is lifes purpose (replication) which is observed as evolution. Life must have the purpose of replication for without it, there would be no life. It's very existence necessitates the purpose.

You keep using the word "purpose," which is inappropriate when talking about chemical reactions.

You keep using the word "purpose," which is inappropriate when talking about chemical reactions.

When talking about people we use the word purpose, that is appropriate? Just chemical reactions after all.

If you look up definitions of the word you'll find it is accurate to use it. The reason for the existence of life is replication. That is its purpose. Without it, it would not exist, it's formation would have been ephemeral and we would not be around to discuss it.

It is bone crushingly simple, staring everyone in the face and yet countless people ask "what is the purpose of life?".

Perhaps the answers they look for and come up with serve them better than the obvious truth.

It is bone crushingly simple, staring everyone in the face and yet countless people ask "what is the purpose of life?".

Perhaps the answers they look for and come up with serve them better than the obvious truth.

It's more than replication. It's procreation to strengthen the species.

Which is why you guys should be so damn relieved that I have procreated.

That's why people should hope for me to start impregnating a good amount of suitable breeding partners.

That is just being more successful at achieving the goal of replication.

You highlight all of the negative experiences/emotions in life. There are lots of amazing life experiences to be had also. I've experienced everything you describe, but have also had some amazing times and loved and been loved... Overall I don't not feel like my mother was selfish for bringing me into this world and I am glad she did. It has been an awesome ride!

When talking about people we use the word purpose, that is appropriate? Just chemical reactions after all.

If you look up definitions of the word you'll find it is accurate to use it. The reason for the existence of life is replication. That is its purpose. Without it, it would not exist, it's formation would have been ephemeral and we would not be around to discuss it.

No man, replication is a cool thing that happens, but the things that humans do to replicate resulted from randomness. There is no purpose, nature has no purpose, and if someone replicates, or not, has no purpose, outside of human minds, and maybe the minds of their pets.

To tie things back to the thread, I love the shit out of my kids by the way.

There are many theories on why life is allowed to create at such a rapid pace. I would have thought responsible creators would be cautious at first before giving a rather young species of mental development such as our human race full control of our destiny. Seems more like war number breeding rather than responsible breeding at this time. :icon_chee

Yes. The vast majority of children born on this planet are to people who cannot afford or properly take care of them. Not everyone is suited for parenthood, non the less sex is a cheap endorphin rush and kids provide some reason to meaninglessness existence.

Knowingly having kids is an act of love. That is the polar opposite of selfishness.

And afterwards you don't have much time to even try being selfish.

Back