Is Gustafsson the worst possible match up for Cormier in the LHWD?

Gus is a tough match up for DC, but DC is also a tough match up for Gus. I am hoping that Gus uses his footwork, keeps a tight defense, and works DC's body in the early rounds. Jones utilized a lot of body attacks and sucked the wind right out of DC which gave him a huge advantage in the later rounds.

Gus has the tools to win, but needs to fight really smart and really be on point.

Rumble supossed to have great TDD too (people make this conclusion from Davis fight) but in reality he was ragdolled

Davis wanted to stand with AJ. I guess he thought he was a great striker after winning a controversial decision over Machida with his "great foot work" consisting of constant ball changes.

AJ is still similar to that at WW. A decent heavy handed striker, but once TD's are thrown in he gasses.

If he can't take Gusty down or clinch cage control him then it's a 50/50 fight to a possible slight advantage for Gusta

Diggem and Coolicocks hatin' on Gus as always. Only one missing is ermac88.

I'm here!
Lol I didn't know I was a Gus hater.
I don't dislike dude, I think he's highly overrated

I don't think he has enough KO power to really cause huge issues for DC, Gus is going to spend most of the time defending takedowns or being on his back, with the remained of the time tentative jabs because he's afraid of DC closing the distance.

I think Shogun with his kicks and tricky ground game is the worst match up for Cormier.

Where did this myth of Shoguns tricky ground game come from? 1 submission in 33 fights and it was against Randleman in middle of his 2-9 stretch with 6 submission loses.

Is it because he's swept like 2 people 7 years ago?

Except for Jones. The question isn’t if you think DC will win or not. The question is if there stylistically is a tougher fight for Cormier in the division? If so, who?

I feel Gus reach, TDD, movement, boxing, cardio will make it difficult for DC. Also, Alex won’t be over confident in this fight, like I feel he was against Rumble.

A lanky striker he can easily outwrestle and outgrapple? Nope, definitely not his worst matchup.

DC's stylistic worst matchup is Rashad Evans.

Because DC's game is built on chain-wrestling, like he did to Rumble and will do to Gus.

Rashad is the only active guy who'd have a shot at shutting that game down, and beating DC on the feet. Not saying he would do it for sure, but he has a much better chance of it than a lanky nonwrestler like Gus.

Dont think that because Gus shook off most of JBJ's TDs that he would therefore do the same with DC. It would be completely different. Jones was happy striking with Gus, and trying to mix in the occasional quick TD, and Gus was alert to it. That isnt the same thing at all as having DC trying to chain-wrestle and smother, and go body-to-body the entire fight. I cannot see how Gus will have the technique or core strength to cope, same as Rumble couldnt.

But Rashad has insane strength, athleticism, speed, and wrestling technique (see beatdown of Phil Davis). Rashad is the only active lhw who has a real shot at beating DC. DC grapplefucks the bejesus out of everyone else without much trouble.

Jones usually drops people from the clench, DC does not.

Once DC gets a hold of Gus leg, it's over.

From what I have seen DC gets the vast majority of his takedowns from the clinch, he rarely goes for singles and doubles.

A lanky striker he can easily outwrestle and outgrapple? Nope, definitely not his worst matchup.

DC's stylistic worst matchup is Rashad Evans.

Because DC's game is built on chain-wrestling, like he did to Rumble and will do to Gus.

Rashad is the only active guy who'd have a shot at shutting that game down, and beating DC on the feet. Not saying he would do it for sure, but he has a much better chance of it than a lanky nonwrestler like Gus.

Dont think that because Gus shook off most of JBJ's TDs that he would therefore do the same with DC. It would be completely different. Jones was happy striking with Gus, and trying to mix in the occasional quick TD, and Gus was alert to it. That isnt the same thing at all as having DC trying to chain-wrestle and smother, and go body-to-body the entire fight. I cannot see how Gus will have the technique or core strength to cope, same as Rumble couldnt.

But Rashad has insane strength, athleticism, speed, and wrestling technique (see beatdown of Phil Davis). Rashad is the only active lhw who has a real shot at beating DC. DC grapplefucks the bejesus out of everyone else without much trouble.

I really don't see where you are coming from on this, DC gets most of his takedowns from the clinch just like Jones. Gus has great TDD and strong wrestling and has had them for years. Rashad would be an easy match up for DC as DC does everything Rashad does but better.

Why? DC does everything Rashad does but better. Rashad's only advantage is one punch ko power.

Eh I kinda agree with him but Rashad has been too inactive and is going to be past his prime.

Before the Jones fight I had always thought that DC had figured out how to fight guys with reach advantages at HW. The jones fight made me think that he doesn't so much know how to fight those guys as much as he just bum rushes to get to the clinch. I am confident that he can do that against Gus. That makes me sad.

I don't know if he's the worst possible match up for Cormier, but I think he's pretty bad for him. I can see him stuffing DC's chained take down attempts to the point of DC gassing, and then I see Gus picking him apart on the feet for 4 rounds or TKO'ing him.

I hope so 'love to see Cormier beaten down humbled then move to MW

Why? DC does everything Rashad does but better. Rashad's only advantage is one punch ko power.

Saying that aside from Jones, Rashad is DC's toughest matchup doesnt mean that DC shouldnt be the rightful favorite if they fought.

Yes he is, no question. That's his skill and style, there are other guys that have a great style to beat Cormier but just dont have the skill to match it

I think Teixeira could do pretty good against Cormier.
Sure he is slow but he has good hands and is also very good with submissions. His wrestling is good too although Cormier wouldnt have problems to wrestlefuck him.

Inb4 the Gustafsson lacrimosa

His new walkout song:

[YT]k1-TrAvp_xs[/YT]

crying-waterfalls.gif

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back