Is Gustafsson the worst possible match up for Cormier in the LHWD?

Saying that aside from Jones, Rashad is DC's toughest matchup doesnt mean that DC shouldnt be the rightful favorite if they fought.

Fair enough but I don't think he's close to DC's toughest match up. I feel like when 2 guys have the same strength one guy is at a huge disadvantage. Couture vs Tito for example, sure on paper he might have seemed to give Couture a difficult time cause they both had the same strengths but IMO that just made the fight easy for Couture cause Tito is not really good at something Couture is not.

Fair enough but I don't think he's close to DC's toughest match up. I feel like when 2 guys have the same strength one guy is at a huge disadvantage. Couture vs Tito for example, sure on paper he might have seemed to give Couture a difficult time cause they both had the same strengths but IMO that just made the fight easy for Couture cause Tito is not really good at something Couture is not.

People who think that Gus is going to do to DC what he did to Jones arent taking into account how good DC actually is. Plus Gus hasnt looked all that great of late.

For what its worth I think DC is the probably the best "number 2" fighter in any division. There are like 2 guys on the entire UFC roster who I would favor over him in a fight. Jones and Werdum.

People who think that Gus is going to do to DC what he did to Jones arent taking into account how good DC actually is. Plus Gus hasnt looked all that great of late.

For what its worth I think DC is the probably the best "number 2" fighter in any division. There are like 2 guys on the entire UFC roster who I would favor over him in a fight. Jones and Werdum.

He hasn't looked great of late?? Based of one fight vs Rumble? He got hit with a hard punch and finished. It happens, it not like he was dominated over a period of a few rounds.

And you say this despite the fact that he dominates Manways with his wrestling and then knocks him out and prior gives Jones the toughest fight he's every had.

I think it is the other way around. I think DC is the worst matchup for Gus.

I know Gus was able to nullify Jon's takedowns, but Jon's best takedowns come from the clinch, which he wasn't able to initiate much against Gus. He is a Greco guy. I think it will be much harder for Gus to nullify DC's wrestling.

Yeah. Alex will dominate this fight. The only worse stylistic fights for cormier are all at 185

Gus is going to have a pretty decent speed advantage over DC. His footwork is superior and I think if he uses a lot of lateral movement, angles, works his jab, etc. he could keep DC from taking him down. Even if DC manages to get Gus up against the cage, Gus is going to be difficult to take down. DC seemed to struggle with Jones' height when it came to grappling, and I think he'll have a similar struggle against Gus.

That's not to say that I don't think he'll be able to take Gus down, just that I think it'll be harder than people are thinking. Still, Gus needs to avoid clinching, and use a lot of footwork (like in the Jones fight) and pick DC apart. I'd like to see him use a lot of body shots to slow DC down, and then take over in the championship rounds. Gus was still fresh in round 4 against Jones and was having his best round of the fight until he got hit with that big elbow.

Dangerous fight for both guys...hoping Gus pulls it off.

I really don't see where you are coming from on this, DC gets most of his takedowns from the clinch just like Jones. Gus has great TDD and strong wrestling and has had them for years. Rashad would be an easy match up for DC as DC does everything Rashad does but better.

I wouldn't expect you to see where I'm coming from, as I've noticed your particularly dim posts on here before.

If you can't watch Jones vs Gustafsson and grasp the difference between the way Jones employed wrestling in that fight and the way Cormier summarily employs it, then I can't help you really. It's already described in detail in my previous post.

You just don't get it man. Bookmark this thread and we can discuss again when Cormier wipes the floor (literally) with Gus. And then re-bookmark it so we can again return when DC has to go life and death to beat Rashad in his next defence (if Rashad isn't so rusty he loses to Bader, that is).

I'm not going to bother replying to you again on this thread as you're so dense it's just a bit boring really, but I leave you with this point: Hendricks was a much tougher fight for GSP than Condit was. This is because GSP relies on wrestling, and Hendricks was a good enough wrestler to shut that part of GSP's game down, and Condit wasn't. The principle could very well be the same with Cormier, Gustafsson, and Rashad. DC's smothering chain-wrestling will be way too much for Gus, but Rashad has a way better shot at shutting it down.

Ok, goodbye dear chump, until bookmark time on the night of 3rd October.

Try again, DC is one of my favorite fighters, I know how good he is. DC almost got KOed in round 1 by Rumble too.

I wouldn't expect you to see where I'm coming from, as I've noticed your particularly dim posts on here before.

If you can't watch Jones vs Gustafsson and grasp the difference between the way Jones employed wrestling in that fight and the way Cormier summarily employs it, then I can't help you really. It's already described in detail in my previous post.

You just don't get it man. Bookmark this thread and we can discuss again when Cormier wipes the floor (literally) with Gus. And then re-bookmark it so we can again return when DC has to go life and death to beat Rashad in his next defence (if Rashad isn't so rusty he loses to Bader, that is).

I'm not going to bother replying to you again on this thread as you're so dense it's just a bit boring really, but I leave you with this point: Hendricks was a much tougher fight for GSP than Condit was. This is because GSP relies on wrestling, and Hendricks was a good enough wrestler to shut that part of GSP's game down, and Condit wasn't. The principle could very well be the same with Cormier, Gustafsson, and Rashad. DC's smothering chain-wrestling will be way too much for Gus, but Rashad has a way better shot at shutting it down.

Wow you're such a douche, all I said was Jones and DC both primarily use the clinch to get takedowns and that I don't see where you are coming from(meaning I want you to explain what you mean, not be an asshole).

I think so. Excellent boxing, footwork, and tdd. He is going to make dc work hard to get in on him and even harder to get him down. I see dc eating a lot of shots trying to close the distance

I will agree that Jones vs Gus and Cormier vs Gus are two different fights and Cormier has a different approach to applying his wrestling then Jones. Although both guys many of their takedowns from the clinch, Cormier utilizes more switches and 2nd, 3rd attempts which Jones doesnt.

However, watching Gus vs other wrestlers its clear that he has incredible tdd vs any wrestler. I mean in one of his first UFC fights he showed that vs Davis, after the initial shot Davis attempted around 7 different tactics to take Gus down from doubles, singles to trips and nothing worked. Hammil couldnt even get in the position to take Gus down and pretty much every shot was stopped before Hammil could even commit and thats all to do with him movement. So Cormier at this point is going to have a very difficult time to take Gus down, he defends vs chain wrestling very well. It doesnt matter if its Jones or Cormier and how they apply the wrestling, the guy is that good and will defend.

On the topic of Gus vs Rashad and who is a more difficult style match up? Gus is the more difficult style match up for Cormier. And I firmly believe that Gus will do a better job of defending vs Cormier style of wrestling better then Rashad. We are talking mma wrestling here and there are many skills that Gus has, mainly from his movement and footwork that enable him to defend takedowns better then Rashad does. Sometimes in mma you get these guys like Gus that drill tdd, sprawls and avoiding take downs to the point they are experts and better the guys with strong wrestling backgrounds.

Why I say that Gus is a tougher match up is because I believe he has better tools to keep the fight in his favor by avoiding the takedowns and keeping it standing, where is he the much more dangerous striker. Even if both Gus and Rashad shut down Cormier wrestling and its a standup fight, who ware you gonna favor?? I think both guys would defend the wrestling well, but Gus is far more dangerous standing.

Regarding you're example of GSP/Hendricks/Condit. That is one example of how the wrestling works in favor of your argument. But what about a fight like Davis vs Rashad with two strong wrestlers, both guys took each other down several times and Rashad got the better of it vs a better wrestler in Davis. But yet Rashad fights Rogerio and loses a UD? Similar examples but different results for GSP and Rashad. It can go both ways

I would say Rashad is the toughest stylistically for DC.

Why? DC does everything Rashad does but better. Rashad's only advantage is one punch ko power.

I think Rashad is faster than DC which takes away an advantage DC usually has over his opponents. I think Rashad is a better boxer and a better grappler. DC is a better wrestler.

The problem with Rashad is that he's very inconsistent. I would pick DC to win but if the confident Rashad showed up than it would be a very difficult fight.

Gus being a bad match up for DC is entirely predicated on Gus not getting taken down, which I don't see happening.

I'm going to be shocked if Cormier doesn't crush Alex

He beat phil Davis over 3 rounds

A gunshy Davis. Davis gave up on that fight when he felt AJ's god like power.

AJ will always lose if he can't seriously hurt someone. If he's against a fighter that can grind him out or make him work he can't survive unless it's over in the 1st/2nd round.

Last edited:
A gunshy Davis. Davis gave up on that fight when he felt AJ's god like power.

AJ will always lose if he can't seriously hurt someone. If he's against a fighter that can grind him out or make him work he can't survive unless it's over in the 1st/2nd round.

What difference does it make he still beat a top guy over multiple rounds

Back