Is Fury the GOAT if he beats Usyk?

We definitely have some ATGs in this era, but no one in the GOAT conversation (in my opinion)

Reactions: HHJ
I'll put him as the P4P king, post the Floyd era.

He can build his resume at HW. Parker is not a huge HW & has got himself back in title contention. Hrgovic s still out there. Or the winner of Wilder/Zhang...But I think Usyk has mentioned leaning towards retirement if he collected all the belts.

If he wins tommorow you could even debate him over the Klitchkos in the all time HW rankings. But would probably need some names above for it to have real substance.

Potentially subject to change if Crawford beats Canelo. Or if the Monster beats Tank or any champ close to those weights.

As for Fury he will never touch GOAT status unless he fights AJ. His resume is thin. His best wins on paper were a fading over the hill Wlad in one of the ugliest fights of all time & a limited Wilder trilogy that he was battered severely in 2 of the 3. Long periods of inactivity. Testing issues. He doesn't deserve GOAT status if he beats a CW.
I also thought Usyk might retire after the fight but he's now saying that he'll continue boxing if he beats Fury. Probably until he eventually loses. Unless he's just saying this in case the Fury fight goes to decision. If he confirms retirement now it might sway the judges to lean toward Fury in a fight that could go either way.

There are some really awful takes in this thread. Usyk and Fury don't have deep enough resumes at heavyweight. Don't expect them to achieve GOAT status much less a high all-time ranking. This should be common sense.
They are the best of their era, same way Tyson, Lewis and Holyfield were the best of theirs.

He’s definitely one of the GOATs
Clearly
77127839-12684277-image-a-23_1698534282997.jpg

Crawfords resume is rather thin too and Canelo is kinda...on the slide, but I think Canelo would/will talk the Crawford fight before Benavidez. I'd favor Crawford at this point it just doesn't feel monumental anymore.

Usyk probably does retire, I know, him facing the winner if Zhang/Wilder or Hrgovic if he wins all just feel like noticeable steps back from beating Joshua and Fury (if he does). But adding longevity to his reign couldn't hurt.

If Inoue makes it to Lightweight I'd be shocked, Tank is his ultimate legacy fight but it feels cartoonish. He could get some belts at Featherweight even though that division lacks greats, even Super Featherweight vs a guy like Navarette maybe. I don't another fight I hear people talk about is Junto Nakatani vs Inoue. We will see.

What would Bivol look like at LHW if he beat Beterbiev and Benavidez?
Yeah Crawford's resume is thin. But if you look at all the weight classes he's already championed in, if he goes on to beat Canelo.... Then maybe a couple fight at 154 he would easily be favored in....
That would be a crazy accomplishment to have ruled every division from lightweight ---> to undisputed light welterweight--->undisputed welterweight---> unified or undisputed super welterweight----> Then beating the all time great Hall of Famer who has ruled SWW/Middleweight/Super Middleweight for over a decade.
That would be beyond legendary status....Its not just a tiny guy being able to grow and move up in tiny weight classes with smaller increments. These are the most talent rich and competitive weight classes by a lot historically.

I would take my hat off to Crawford and more than give him a pass for the thin resume critiques if he dares to be great by beating Canelo then unifies some of the 54 belts. Not that a great fighter needs a seal of approval from a nobody like me. But just my 2 cents.

As for Canelo being over the hill....He may be out of his prime but he's literally still destroying prime, young, & fresh champions that are bigger than him. Beating an undisputed motivated Charlo from pilar to post and dropping Mungia to dominating the end of the fight. Brutally stopping Plant. Come on Canelo is still more than game VS anyone. Beating this version of Canelo is still an A level win on a resume for a 168lb fighter....Would mean even more for a guy who's still technically a WW not big for SWW.

As for Bivol. Yeah criminally underrated fighter. If he beats Biev & Benavidez he should be in the conversation for best active fighter. But there is always a lack of stars, talent & depth at LHW. So he will never get the credit he may rightfully deserves. Kind of like Ward post the Super 6 tourney .

He didn’t even train for that fight and looked sloppy. He was gonna carry Francis and got caught behind the ear.

A rematch would look like Joshua/Ngannou if he takes it seriously
Any elite level heavyweight champion calling themselves the GOAT should've been able to roll off the couch and dispose of Ngannou within a few rounds. The didn't train excuse doesn't work here. Ngannou had never even boxed before.

I also thought Usyk might retire after the fight but he's now saying that he'll continue boxing if he beats Fury. Probably until he eventually loses. Unless he's just saying this in case the Fury fight goes to decision. If he confirms retirement now it might sway the judges to lean toward Fury in a fight that could go either way.
That's good news. He can really solidify himself over the Klitchkos if he cleans out the division just due to being so much smaller and literally destroying the division in a couple years....despite an entire war & injuries.

Usyk Crawford & Bivol could all be doing some really epic stuff within a couple to several fights. Really shake up some ATG lists. Or at least get on a majority of credible ones. But its boxing, 3 fights could be a million miles away. Lmao

He didn’t even train for that fight and looked sloppy. He was gonna carry Francis and got caught behind the ear.

A rematch would look like Joshua/Ngannou if he takes it seriously
Even if that’s true it doesn’t help his GOAT debate

Any elite level heavyweight champion calling themselves the GOAT should've been able to roll off the couch and dispose of Ngannou within a few rounds. The didn't train excuse doesn't work here. Ngannou had never even boxed before.
lol no Francis is still a combat sports world champion with insane ko power. Any boxer who didn’t train would’ve struggled while out of shape. You’re acting like Francis is a bum off the street lol. Plus Francis had trained with world class boxers for 2 years

So fury isnt an elite level heavyweight? Are you trolling

lol no Francis is still a combat sports world champion with insane ko power. Any boxer who didn’t train would’ve struggled while out of shape. You’re acting like Francis is a bum off the street lol. Plus Francis had trained with world class boxers for 2 years

So fury isnt an elite level heavyweight? Are you trolling
One more time. Francis isn't a boxer. You can't excuse Fury for not taking him seriously. The moment he got put on his ass he should've taken him seriously and dominated him. But that didn't happen. Did it? Fury is either the best or second best heavyweight around right now, we'll know exactly where tomorrow, but he's far from heavyweight GOAT or a Top 10 heavyweight ATG.

If Fury beat Usyk and then Joshua, he would be top 10 imo. He would need to dominate for a few years after that to be considered top 5. Most likely he would never be considered better than Ali.

One more time. Francis isn't a boxer. You can't excuse Fury for not taking him seriously. The moment he got put on his ass he should've taken him seriously and dominated him. But that didn't happen. Did it? Fury is either the best or second best heavyweight around right now, we'll know exactly where tomorrow, but he's far from heavyweight GOAT or a Top 10 heavyweight ATG.
Fury outboxed Francis the entire fight and dominated ngannou after the knockdown. The knockdown was the only significant moment Francis had. Fury looked sloppy and was out of shape

Fury outboxed Francis the entire fight and dominated ngannou after the knockdown. The knockdown was the only significant moment Francis had. Fury looked sloppy and was out of shape
Fury did outbox him but he was dropped early and then lost some rounds toward the end of the fight. Francis was able to compete with him on nearly even terms. Both looked sloppy. Ngannou was in shape, Fury wasn't, but it doesn't erase what Ngannou managed in there against Fury. He just scraped by a non-boxer debutant. Think about that for a second.

Or does he need to win a few more fights to become the GOAT?

From what I'm seeing, a lot of people expect Fury to lose.

Can underdog Fury shock the world again?

Fury isn't anywhere near contention for the GOAT. I don't consider this list as an ordered ranking. It just shows how much deeper the accomplishments of actual HW greats are.

1716001828310.png

Even with a win over Usyk, he still needs to beat AJ to put his stamp down as the best of this era because AJ.

...and that would still be shaky because he spent years farting around and hasn't fought any of the current crop of contenders.

I don't care that Fury talked about being the GOAT to hype himself, but the fact that so many boxing commentators, especially in the UK, went along with it is obscene and bad for the sport.

Back