Is Derrick Lewis using BJJ without ever learning it exists?

i have a question. if it's only about strength why can't the other HWs do the same thing? he's the only HW who can get up from under ANYONE. even from under DC. i get that he's strong, but so are the other HWs.
Obviously the other Heavyweights are not as strong as Derrick Lewis.

How sad the HW division is when Lewis is top 10 and a title challenger.

The only division to actually regress in talent and skill, full of 40 year olds.

Still way more popular than any of the womens divisions and flyweight, and always will be.

Skill level means fuck all if no cunt wants to watch you fight. A lot of fans want to see the biggest, scariest looking guys throw sledgehammers until someone falls, its always been that way and it always will be.

Then again, how often do you see modern HWs use their BJJ to win at high levels? Mir, Big Nog, and Werdum are a dying breed.

BJJ is literally the definitive discipline for smaller guys to beat bigger guys. That's why the Gracies sent Royce in for the first UFCs instead of his bigger, equally skilled brothers. It was to prove a point.

> It´s more about the evolution of a specific [dominant & monopolistic] Fight Configuration & Rule Set rather than this 'dying breed' thing :

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...art-36-the-best-base-special-edition.4013527/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-37-controversial-decisions-scorin´systems.4020275/

> About Horion´s choice:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-34-horion´s-choice-ufc-1.3984975/

How sad the HW division is when Lewis is top 10 and a title challenger.

The only division to actually regress in talent and skill, full of 40 year olds.

He'd have made the top 10 in any era, IMO. What he does isn't pretty, but he is powerful and still has a good chin. 2 things that will keep you in the top 10 at HW.

He'd have made the top 10 in any era, IMO. What he does isn't pretty, but he is powerful and still has a good chin. 2 things that will keep you in the top 10 at HW.

Derek is in the top 10 because HW is mostly plodding strikers, sluggers and grapplers who are in love with the KO. That's what we get because those are the kinds of fighters we want to see.

In the past, which was more grappling heavy, Derek couldn't get by enough of them to make it to the top.

Can you name an era where he wouldn't have made the top 10? There's never been an era with enough wrestlers that can strike that would have kept him out of the top 10.

Shouldn't there be periods after each word?

<TheWire1>

He's mimicking another twitter post about cyber bullying. "How is cyber bullying real? Just close your eyes or walk away" was the gist of the original.

Still way more popular than any of the womens divisions and flyweight, and always will be.

Skill level means fuck all if no cunt wants to watch you fight. A lot of fans want to see the biggest, scariest looking guys throw sledgehammers until someone falls, its always been that way and it always will be.

I love watching heavyweights, sucky old men or otherwise.

Nah, dude. He's top 10 because the current division is old as fuck.

that he's so much stronger than Ngannou? Mark Hunt? Rothwell? i don't think so. i think he's strong, but i don't think he's so much stronger than those guys that his strength enables him to do stuff they can't. Mariusz Pudianowski is a 5 times world's strongest man winner and i've never seen him be able to get up from under people the way Derrick Lewis can.

i think people are underestimating his skill and fight IQ. there's a couple of things i see that allow him to do these things the other HWs can't. he understands how leverage works. he knows how to create scrambles with minimal effort. he stays calm without wasting energy and can feel when to explode.

if he was only using strength to get up every time he'd gas after getting up only 1 or 2 times, but he doesn't, he can usually keep getting up from under people as long as they don't go for rear nakeds.

He’s not just shrimping, he digs an under hook from the bottom and explodes towards that side, rolling him (and whatever object is atop him) over, or he pushes the opponent away to get some space and then he scrambles to his feet.

You can do that with a serious strength advantage, the strength makes up for the disadvantageous position (so as soon as you have any space you can scramble out).

Derek is in the top 10 because HW is mostly plodding strikers, sluggers and grapplers who are in love with the KO. That's what we get because those are the kinds of fighters we want to see.

In the past, which was more grappling heavy, Derek couldn't get by enough of them to make it to the top.

most of the guys he loses to are strikers. DC is the only grappler that beat him, almost all of the other grapplers he's fought he's knocked them out. it's not because the grapplers are in love with the KO, it's because they can't hold him down.

Good hips and be strong as fuck. I laugh Everytime he literally just stands up lmfao.

Reminds me of when Jones has rampages mounted and rampage literally picked Jones up and tossed him aside lol. Like you shouldn't ever be that string bruh lol.

Is there anybody who actually thinks Lewis > shit?

that he's so much stronger than Ngannou? Mark Hunt? Rothwell? i don't think so. i think he's strong, but i don't think he's so much stronger than those guys that his strength enables him to do stuff they can't. Mariusz Pudianowski is a 5 times world's strongest man winner and i've never seen him be able to get up from under people the way Derrick Lewis can.

i think people are underestimating his skill and fight IQ. there's a couple of things i see that allow him to do these things the other HWs can't. he understands how leverage works. he knows how to create scrambles with minimal effort. he stays calm without wasting energy and can feel when to explode.

if he was only using strength to get up every time he'd gas after getting up only 1 or 2 times, but he doesn't, he can usually keep getting up from under people as long as they don't go for rear nakeds.
Or you could just be in denial about how strong Derrick Lewis actually is?

Ngannou has punching power, but that does not mean he is stronger than Lewis. Hell Stipe had Ngannou on the ground easily and as you can see Ngannou was unable to muscle out of it and Stipe is much smaller than Ngannou.

Hunt is strong but I have never seen Hunt muscle out of anything. Rothwell has KO'ed power, but who has he out muscled?

Lewis just simply powers his opponent off of him with his strength using very little if any Technique at all.

Its funny how an art will "claim" certain things that have been around since men started fighting. Men were kicking and punching and sweeping, and choking way before any "Martial Art" form was created.

Back