Derrick Lewis: I really don't care about the HW title

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Derrick Lewis has admitted he doesn't care about the current state of flux the UFC HW division has been left in, after Jon Jones pulled out of a fight with Stipe Miocic. Lewis dismissed suggestions
he could thrust himself among the contenders with a win over Jailton Almeida:

“I really don't care. Jones, I don't even know how long he's going to be out, he might be out a year they say. So it all depends on how Stipe wants to look at it, if Stipe wants to wait for Jones to come back,
or if Aspinall or the other guy wants to wait around for Jones. And I really don't care.”

“With this coming win, no I don't think I can get a title shot. I’ll have to fight a top-five opponent after this. Then we start talking about title shots. But as of right now, I don't think this fight right here gives
me a title shot.”

As for the fight itself, Lewis is confident he can end Almeida's winning run, adamant that he can use his experience to prevail no matter where the fight goes:

“I think our skills match up pretty well, especially on the ground. I think I could get a leg lock on him early in the first round. I've been doing this for a long time and so I’ve just been training everywhere.
So I'm prepared wherever the fight goes. I know he's a black belt in jiu-jitsu. I'm a purple belt, and I believe I'm the baddest purple belt in Texas, so it's gonna be a good competition for him.”

Source: https://www.eurosport.com/mixed-mar...da-fight-i-really-don-_sto9868383/story.shtml

He fights for money, not legacy, a belt or anything else.

Just money, which is fine.

His fat ass isn’t a championship caliber fighter anyway.

He could possibly win a title with his KO power but highly unlikely he keeps that title for long.

I really like Lewis, he's just over the top honest. He doesn't care about the belt, he just wants to make his money while he still has the ability
Not entirely honest. He cares about the money. Being the UFC HW champion would get him a lot more money than not being the champion. He’s had two shots at a belt. One undisputed TS. And one IC. But he was finished in both fights.

I think he knows he’s just not at that level. So he just fights. Anybody, anytime. But of course he cares about the title. If he had lost his last fight he was probably not going to get re-signed. So it’s just easier to say being the champion doesn’t matter. But that’s not being honest. There’s not an athlete on this planet that doesn’t want to be the champion.

Mostly honest.. but not completely honest. That’s good enough, though. It’s just some insulation he’s built around himself, imo. But deep down.. Of course he wants to win and be the champion.

Wouldn't surprise me

vApaViF.gif

Reading between the lines, and making assumptions specifically means (of course I could be wrong):

What he actually means is that he’s focused on negotiating the highest (generic) per fight purse that he can regardless of who he’s competing against.
He doesn’t want to be one of those guys who goes from getting paid $500K as a title challenger to only $120K in his next non-title bout.
He probably (wisely) assumes that every fight could be his last. And better to make a bundle now than hope for success in the future.

Considering his age and track record that’d make sense to me.

Again, I could be completely wrong!

That is a good thing that he doesn't care about it, because he doesn't have the overall talent to win it.

He fights for money, not legacy, a belt or anything else.

Just money, which is fine.

His fat ass isn’t a championship caliber fighter anyway.

He could possibly win a title with his KO power but highly unlikely he keeps that title for long.
He fought for the title twice though

Well, he knows, 3-4 recently and unless he can string a few wins he wont sniff a title shot and he has a foot out the door already.
He fought for the title twice though
DC and what other fight?

Reading between the lines, and making assumptions specifically means (of course I could be wrong):

What he actually means is that he’s focused on negotiating the highest (generic) per fight purse that he can regardless of who he’s competing against.
He doesn’t want to be one of those guys who goes from getting paid $500K as a title challenger to only $120K in his next non-title bout.
He probably (wisely) assumes that every fight could be his last. And better to make a bundle now than hope for success in the future.

Considering his age and track record that’d make sense to me.

Again, I could be completely wrong!
https://www.mmamania.com/2023/11/2/...aulo-fight-not-getting-anything-out-of-it-mma

He is probably exaggerating it, but he might not have negotiated this one well if he isnt getting paid accordingly.

Not really sure if Derrick can win against Jailton. Derrick's flying knee was due to the fact that it was supposedly his last fight, if he lost it, he's gone.

He has lots to lose during that time but I think his contract right now constitutes several fights. losing this one, wouldn't matter for him.

Derrick lewis trains a lot more than we think, he likes to give off the vibe of “i dont care” and “i suck”. Its a ruse to make people under estimate him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back