Is DC the most over rated fighter at LHW?

The only way Jones outclasses Gus is if he can consistently get him down and hold him there, and I have my doubts that he can do that. I expect another very close fight. Gustafsson can't get away from what he did last time and hunt exclusively for the stoppage, though. He needs to keep the jab and lateral movement that brought him the success he enjoyed last time going.

Regardless of whether Jones did not fight Gus to his full ability, based on his performance against Jon Jones, Gus is a distinctly bad match-up for Rashad, would probably beat Rumble, and could defuse Glover if he didn't feed him a counter right hook over a jab.

You also act as if Gus cannot improve between the year-ish span of time between UFC 165 and his next fight. Needless to say, I will be very surprised if their second fight is not competitive.

Gus had tons of things going for him that night, but the most important one was his element of surprise. He no longer has that.

Jones is the better fighter in virtually every way, he was a giant favorite in the original fight for a reason and he's going to show why that was in the rematch. The only possible way Jones loses this is if he tries to have a straight up boxing match with Gus. And honestly, I'd still like Jones chances there.

Jones is gonna pick his shots, and put Gus on his back every chance he gets. I'm fully expecting a bloody Swede after the night's done.

And just ftr, I didn't mean to throw Rashad in there, I think Gus would beat him at this point. I do think Rumble besmirches him and Glover grinds out a UD, though.

Now before some of you fanboys throw a gigantic fit, remember that this is only a question, im not saying he is, but it sure feels that way.

"I'm not saying he is overrated. All I'm saying is that I feel he is overrated."

lol

No, Cormier is not overrated. He has not done much at LHW, but he has important wins at HW, and he got them with ease. Beyond that he has a martial arts background of extreme relevance. The guy has yet to be in a competitive fight, and that's even though he fought guys like Bigfoot and Barnett. Only pointing out Cummins and Hendo is a straight up troll job.

edit: the deal is that he is an explosive athlete, very strong, clearly has talent for the sport AND that he has a trump card in very high level wrestling. If LHW still was a division in turmoil where the belt went from guy to guy and the current champ had a lot of challengers waiting, then okay, let's wait. Currently however we have an ultra-dominant champ who already is queued up for a rematch. Cormier is good enough that I'd rather see if he can break the distance and handle Jones, than see a line of rematches.

Last edited:
Threads like this show the ignorance of their maker

Gus had tons of things going for him that night, but the most important one was his element of surprise. He no longer has that.

Jones is the better fighter in virtually every way, he was a giant favorite in the original fight for a reason and he's going to show why that was in the rematch. The only possible way Jones loses this is if he tries to have a straight up boxing match with Gus. And honestly, I'd still like Jones chances there.

Jones is gonna pick his shots, and put Gus on his back every chance he gets. I'm fully expecting a bloody Swede after the night's done.

And just ftr, I didn't mean to throw Rashad in there, I think Gus would beat him at this point. I do think Rumble besmirches him and Glover grinds out a UD, though.

It wasn't as much about surprise as it was that Gus was able to stop the takedowns, nullify most of Jones' pressure with lateral movement, checking kicks, and an active and varied jab, and then push him back in spots behind said jab (I've long said that Jones has never shown the ability to fight off of the backfoot). Gus simply has the skillset and style that will give Jones problems. I don't see Glover beating Gus, at all. If there was an overrated fighter at LHW (and I hate the term), it might be Glover. Rumble is interesting because he is actually reasonably sharp fundamentally, and he is strong as an ox, but I'll have to see more of him at the weight against fighters that he doesn't match up perfectly with (Davis was a stylistic dream for him).

i kind of agree with OP

I think people are a little to hyped because of the way he beat dan.

I remember everyone hated him after the Mir fight.
Everyone has a 1 fight memory on here

I think its a legit possibility that Jones just tools him and everyone turns on him.

Well shit dude that was an awesome clip. Both being very humble. It's a toss up really.. I'd put my money on a prime ali but Tyson had the ability knock any human being out.

Yeah, I saw it for the first time last night. It was fresh on my mind.

but yes, he can wrestle.

Dare I say that is a bit understated?

But yes, Jimmy Hendrix can play guitar
But yes, Mayweather can box
But yes, Sinatra can sing

It's impossible to over rate an undefeated fighter and former Olympian, that's got top 10 wins in 2 weight classes and has never dropped a round. That's kind of a big deal.

He's likely the best fighter in the division.

It wasn't as much about surprise as it was that Gus was able to stop the takedowns, nullify most of Jones' pressure with lateral movement, checking kicks, and an active and varied jab, and then push him back in spots behind said jab (I've long said that Jones has never shown the ability to fight off of the backfoot). Gus simply has the skillset and style that will give Jones problems. I don't see Glover beating Gus, at all. If there was an overrated fighter at LHW (and I hate the term), it might be Glover. Rumble is interesting because he is actually reasonably sharp fundamentally, and he is strong as an ox, but I'll have to see more of him at the weight against fighters that he doesn't match up perfectly with (Davis was a stylistic dream for him).

We'll see. You may be right, but I don't think so.

And if I'm not mistaken, weren't the TDs Jones went for kind of spazzy and out of desperation from being flustered? Jones went into that fight trying to prove he can stand with someone of a similar build and a good standup pedigree.

I'm expecting and hoping Jones comes in with a much more grappling based gameplan this time around.

There is plenty not to like about Tyson and Ali, but for all of their flaws, they're still incredibly interesting, and, in the end, incredibly likable human beings, for me at least. Leonard, on the other hand, while an absolute killer in the ring, will never be someone I care for outside of the ring.

We'll see. You may be right, but I don't think so.

And if I'm not mistaken, weren't the TDs Jones went for kind of spazzy and out of desperation from being flustered? Jones went into that fight trying to prove he can stand with someone of a similar build and a good standup pedigree.

I'm expecting and hoping Jones comes in with a much more grappling based gameplan this time around.

It's what he should do and his best hope for victory. I don't necessarily buy that he was out to prove a point about his striking, but even if he was, he still got the clinch with Gus numerous times and he was unable to do much with it. We'll see. By no means am I saying that Gus should be heavily favored because Jones showed that he can expose flaws in Gus' game, as well, but I expect another close and interesting fight regardless of who comes out on top.

TLeonard, on the other hand, while an absolute killer in the ring, will never be someone I care for outside of the ring.
One of the most diverse strikers I've ever seen. He went toe to toe with Duran in their first fight and ran circles around him in their second, which I personally find somewhat amazing.

Hearns won their second fight though.

Going by his accomplishments in the division yes he is by far the most over-rated. But his wins at HW make it so that no hes not over-rated as a fighter. It took a while but Im finally sold on him as a legit threat in the UFC

One of the most diverse strikers I've ever seen. He went toe to toe with Duran in their first fight and ran circles around him in their second, which I personally find somewhat amazing.

The craft on the inside that he showed in their first fight gets overlooked a lot. Personally, I don't think that Duran gave him a lot of choice in how he was going to fight in their first meeting (as in Duran forced that style of fight as much as Leonard consented to it), but he held his own against one of the great in fighters of all time for most of the fight even though he was clearly bested. Leonard was simply a thoroughbred. He had everything you would want in a fighter. Not that he was invincible, but he was something. Hearns did earn that second fight, though (and was damn close to winning their first meeting before Leonard sold out and he slowed down).

There is plenty not to like about Tyson and Ali, but for all of their flaws, they're still incredibly interesting, and, in the end, incredibly likable human beings, for me at least. Leonard, on the other hand, while an absolute killer in the ring, will never be someone I care for outside of the ring.

Agreed. I was going to say how much better it would have been without him in that video, but left it.

Which is probably why I felt that way... My household was a Duran household.

I don't subscribe to the theory that one must ignore performances in other divisions when ranking a guy.

So, no he's not overrated at all.

Rashad is the most overrated fighter in the LHW division.

Yeah ragdolling top tier heavyweights must mean he can't hack it at 205

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back