Is DC the most over rated fighter at LHW?

I'm sure he has mike tyson number one.

He was claiming that Ali was a Don King hype job a couple of weeks ago (even though Don King only started promoting Ali fights well after Ali was established as an ATG), so a fighter who actually was promoted by King for most of his big triumphs would have to considered a hype job as well, going by his logic. Of course, I don't think there is much logical structure to any of his thought processes, so you might be right.

I will believe the hype when he will beat the best
Him beating slow dinosaurs at HW doesnt impress me much seriously

Overrated?

He only wins and hasn't been seriously stressed in a fight yet.

The only people who overrate him are the people who think he will "walk through" Jones, which he won't.

The thought of Jones vs. a 205er with wins over Josh Barnett, Frank Mir, Bigfoot Silva, and Roy Nelson is pretty interesting to me.

Yet, Gus looked infinitely better against a guy who many believe to be the p4p best in the world Jon Jones, than he did against washed up Shogun.

Pretty flimsy premise if you ask me.

Fighters have off nights, yeah, Steve? Fighters can sometimes doubt and underestimate their opponents, yeah, Steve?

If you want to think Gus is on Jones level, you're more than welcome. Just don't forget to apologize after Jones completely outclasses him in the rematch and Gus goes on to drop fights to the likes of DC, Glover, Rumble, Rashad, etc. :p

DC also literally threw hendo around like a child in (I believe) the second round of their fight.

Who has ever done that?

No he's still underated since there's probably 2-3 LHW's ranked above him at the moment.

Fighters have off nights, yeah, Steve? Fighters can sometimes doubt and underestimate their opponents, yeah, Steve?

If you want to think Gus is on Jones level, you're more than welcome. Just don't forget to apologize after Jones completely outclasses him in the rematch and Gus goes on to drop fights to the likes of DC, Glover, Rumble, Rashad, etc. :p

The only way Jones outclasses Gus is if he can consistently get him down and hold him there, and I have my doubts that he can do that. I expect another very close fight. Gustafsson can't get away from what he did last time and hunt exclusively for the stoppage, though. He needs to keep the jab and lateral movement that brought him the success he enjoyed last time going.

If you want to think Gus is on Jones level, you're more than welcome. Just don't forget to apologize after Jones completely outclasses him in the rematch and Gus goes on to drop fights to the likes of Glover, Rumble, Rashad, etc. :p
Regardless of whether Jones did not fight Gus to his full ability, based on his performance against Jon Jones, Gus is a distinctly bad match-up for Rashad, would probably beat Rumble, and could defuse Glover if he didn't feed him a counter right hook over a jab.

You also act as if Gus cannot improve between the year-ish span of time between UFC 165 and his next fight. Needless to say, I will be very surprised if their second fight is not competitive.

DC is a serious threat to anyone, except the champions he will be a favorite against anyone.

Gustafsson can't get away from what he did last time and hunt exclusively for the stoppage, though. He needs to keep the jab and lateral movement that brought him the success he enjoyed last time going.
Yeah I agree. He stopped moving as much (especially while jabbing, that made Jones miss a lot of straight kicks to the legs) in the fourth, where Jones only caught him with that elbow after Gus had gotten a little overconfident in his head movement, which was timed by Jones after missing his initial spinning elbow after Gus had sorely outclassing Jones with boxing at range for about 2.5 rounds.

Maybe he was tired, maybe he was just surprised at how well he was doing, but to pretend that Gus isn't noticeably better in certain aspects of striking is absurd.

Let me see: Olympic wrestler, World champion, Strikeforce champion, victories over Henderson, Roy Nelson, Frank Mir, Barnett, Silva, and you think that is overrated?

The only way Jones outclasses Gus is if he can consistently get him down and hold him there, and I have my doubts that he can do that. I expect another very close fight. Gustafsson can't get away from what he did last time and hunt exclusively for the stoppage, though. He needs to keep the jab and lateral movement that brought him the success he enjoyed last time going.

Totally agree. I think that the biggest adjustment Gustafsson has to make is to defend high kicks and straight rights better. If you look at Gustafsson's previous fights, he has a major hole in his defense, and for some reason he's never fixed it. Jones was able to capitalize numerous times with high kicks and elbows and was the only reason why Gus wasn't able to win the fight. If he can fix that hole, Gus wins.

Yeah I agree. He stopped moving as much (especially while jabbing, that made Jones miss a lot of straight kicks to the legs) in the fourth, where Jones only caught him with that elbow after Gus had gotten a little overconfident in his head movement, which was timed by Jones after missing his initial spinning elbow after Gus had sorely outclassing Jones with boxing at range for about 2.5 rounds.

Maybe he was tired, maybe he was just surprised at how well he was doing, but to pretend that Gus isn't noticeably better in certain aspects of striking is absurd.

I give Jones a lot of credit for noticing Gus' exaggerated and unnecessary slip to his right every time he threw the jab and then capitalizing on it. Jones is a very clever fighter and one of the few MMA fighters that actively adjusts to his opponent during the fight. Still, Gustafsson's jab and lateral movement (aided by Gus great physical talents) really had Jones confused for long stretches of that fight. Jones isn't going to learn how to box at that level over night. If Gus doesn't clean that jab up a bit, he will continue to take big elbows and the occasional left high kick, though. It's a shame for Jones that he doesn't have a worthwhile left hook, because it would be there for him. It's a very interesting rematch.

he has fought and dominated in a weightclass heavier than LHW ... but let's just ignore that, because that is clearly "IRRELEVANT" .... dumbest thread, even for sherdog standards!

Totally agree. I think that the biggest adjustment Gustafsson has to make is to defend high kicks and straight rights better. If you look at Gustafsson's previous fights, he has a major hole in his defense, and for some reason he's never fixed it. Jones was able to capitalize numerous times with high kicks and elbows and was the only reason why Gus wasn't able to win the fight. If he can fix that hole, Gus wins.

Yeah, slipping to the outside predictably like Gus did isn't as big a deal in boxing because no one is throwing high kicks, knees or elbows (although, it opens up the left hook; a good example can be found in the way that Froch was dominated by Andre Ward's lead hand in their fight). However, Jones has his own issues of adjustment that he needs to sort out, as well.

Back