Is CrossFit for me?

if your crossfit trainers are having you do high rep olympic lifts you shouldn't be going there

My experiences with Crossfit gyms have been pleasant. The coaches seem well versed in the technical lifts, understand the importance of periodization, and they typically have WL coaches who offer WL only classes

I do understand their dilemmas too though. They strongly advocate smart programming with a strong emphasis on the lifts, but the majority of their clients simply won't show up to any classes beyond the basic group WOD classes.
It'd be like MMA coaches know the importance of wrestling, and strongly advocate their members to go to wrestling classes (coached by high level wrestlers), yet the majority of their members would only do BJJ classes

And when it comes to running a business, it's the majority group that helps you pay the bills to keep the business running

P.S: I am speaking from a purely non-biased view. I have a professional job that pays well and outside of committing some big crime , I will never lose the job. My income doesn't depend on Crossfit guys paying me to coach them WL.
I only deal with Crossfit gyms to use their WL equipments whenever I am on the road (thanks to my job)

This is a great analogy. I think a lot of Crossfit coaches really just do it because it's the only avenue for them to work with people who want to lift. I used to coach at a really well equipped sports performance gym that started off only catering to athletes. They only hired coaches with either a great track record in a sport, or other CSCS's.

Then they decided they were losing too much business to the Crossfit crowd, and started reorganizing the facility to make it easier for WODS/marketing hard to Crossfit. Kinda put the staff in the position of becoming Crossfit coaches or losing business. I left shortly after (for other reasons), but it seems like the ones who stuck around were put in a difficult position.

Just be aware that gym and coaching quality vary drastically with Crossfit

And every Crossfit gym swears that they're "not like the others" and have top notch coaching. Horseshit. Crossfit sucks.

OP explicitly wants a group fitness enviromnent with peer pressure to show up, and if he's not interested in a particular sport I don't see a problem with that. He might get the same experience for cheaper with a YMCA triathlon training group or something similar (although that will of course, have way less totally awesome barbell work). Most places probably won't have a gym dedicated to powerlifting with team practices and the like.

Safety first. Always.

I personally would be willing to look for a gym in his area and make recommendations.

I think CF is geared towards ex-HS and ex-college athletes, perhaps former military, people who can handle that kind of physical stress.
If you were the back-up running back for Oklahoma, then yea, sure.
For most people, not a good idea.

I say join a good BJJ or muay thai gym; you will get a great work out, a team feeling, and pick up a skill as well.

Safety first. Always.

I personally would be willing to look for a gym in his area and make recommendations.

Looking at OP's posts, there's good odds that he lives near a major city, so probably worth the time to find that out.

lol You really ended it.

Question: How big are the chances to get something like Rahbdo?

I was thinking about this myself. I could be totally wrong on this but I'm guessing that Rhabdo is more likely to strike in the crossfit members that have been there for some time, are relatively fit, and have learned to push themselves harder than they should. I think that most novices would not have the mental capacity to push themselves to that length of exhaustion and pain.

Whereas I'm guessing that other injuries like ligament tears and joint dislocations are probably more common in the newbs who dont have proper form down.

Either way injury can strike anyone at any time and nobody knows how you feel better than you do.

I'd really appreciate real answers with a reason.

I'm 31, male, teach at a college and do not play any sport or compete in anything physical. The only exercise I get now is going jogging, swimming or canoeing a couple times a week.

I'm 6'0 185 pounds, not trying to gain weight, but okay with having a little more muscle and being more defined. I mainly want to be in shape to feel better, have more energy, and be less likely to get injured if I play a pickup basketball game, go rock climbing, move heavy furniture, etc.

I've done some group exercise classes that my school offers, and I can say that I AM a fan of structured group exercise classes. Unlike going to a gym, I know that once I walk in I'm not leaving until I finish the full workout. Yes, like most humans, I could use a bit more self-discipline.

My buddy has invited me to try CrossFit in our city. The don't do kipping pull-ups and the fee is 100$/month, which is less than what I spend on food and drinks on a typical Saturday. I would never push my body's limits if I felt it was risking injury.

Your answers will be much appreciated by a real person, thanks. -Chris

How does this get to 6 pages and nobody suspect troll with what is highlighted. I mean is he trying to spell out "functional fitness" or is that just a really coincidental statement to make. This type of statement is basically a defense of Crossfit and "what they are trying to accomplish"

But anyhow while I am here I guess I will entertain. My answer is no, from the experience of having done a handful of WODS personally. I was at one of the "boxes" that had the "good coaches" which I feel some of them were actually pretty well qualified in what they were teaching and doing. However, once they start the AMRAP crap and the "for time" stuff weights and bodies just start flopping and flying around and it is nearly impossible for the coaches to correct every stupid thing they see.

I have watched a Facebook page for the box and the thing that really pisses me off is people will have a legit complaint of being hurt or what not and one of the coaches will respond with "how can we help with your "injury" if your don't come in?" I mean that is crap if someone feels injured, I am pretty sure the little Crossfit coaching certificate, that doesn't seem too hard to obtain, does not qualify you as an MD. Another thing that really burns me up is the price ($200 a month), they market it as a "personal training" type thing but once again once the stupid little WOD gets going you can forget about being corrected on technique.

I really like the "community" aspect also. The whole, "the person that finished last, everyone is clapping and "encouraging" them." The funny thing is, is there are apparently "no losers" but everything seems to be some secret little competition.

Oh well I am done rambling on, just my little two cents on the matter.

I have been doing crossfit for two months now with my girlfriend, for me, it's perfect.

Why it's perfect is because I was able to outsource my programming. See, I suck at that. I would go on this forum and ask about SS, then about Madcow,going to my local gym trying but never really getting anywhere.

Fitness becomes boring really quickly for me. So, I went back to boxing. I like boxing, but with boxing it's even worse as one of the big arguments against crossfit. If you want to be good at crossfit, do crossfit. See, I will never ever do a match, so am I training boxing just to 'win at sparring'? It's all about conditioning, which is great and all, however, I do believe lifting weights has a slight edge on purely conditioning if you want to look a bit more like Brad pitt in Fight club (15% bodyfat would be good for me, I am around 25 now, which is purely due bad diet). Most guys in my boxing classes looked slim (except for the pro's obviously, and the african-europes, because for some reason they can eat McDonalds and still look like Arnold). For me, it's all about looking good in my cloths, or on the beach, no belly and would be happy with a 4 pack.. But, with my own programming I simply wasn't getting anywhere. With my work, girlfriend and all the things I do on the side I simply lack willpower to make it a consistent thing. The community and diversity of crossfit helps with that.

Some things in CF i find really stupid and to be honest, I avoid those lessons. I hate hand stands, if I think back about gymnastics in high school I get traumatic about it.
In our gym, we do a lot of sets for time. So for example 5 sets within 35 minutes. If you dont make it, you dont make it. We have scaled and RX and the teachers think it's more important to get trough the lesson than to up the weights. Rather a bit to low then to high. We also have beginners classes where everything is very slow paced and where they teach the fundamentals. We also have olympic lifting lessons where we focus in even more on the important lifts. The crossfit lessons are 1 hour, where most of the time only the last 30 minutes is about WODs and metcons. The rest is strength based training and things like mobility and foam rolling. The reps can be a bit crazy. Things like: 5x15 deadlifts, 5x20 boxjumps, 5x25 pull ups. Try to make it in 35 minutes. It's hard to dial back for me, because I have the mindset of don't wanting to give up and liking a good challenge. I didn't pass out or puke (yet). But I see how it could happen.

What's weird to me?
The shirts go off and the socks get pulled to the knee to make sure the pull up goes well??? wtf
They are willing to pay 500 total for the outfit they are wearing??? wtf
Seriously, you are going to buy a 50$ jump rope because it has a cool color and you seriously believe it will make you do double unders better???? wtf

The community is kind of cool. Perhaps also because it's obvious I am not the most athletic guy. It's obvious I go there to do some exercise during my workweek. The coaches are also very positive which drips down in the whole community of members.

I don't have to think about programs anymore. That's still the biggest benefit for me. I go, I see what I need to and be done with it. I train 3-4 times a week now, which is perfect for my goals. Don't need to be ripped, just don't want to much excessive bodyfat. Being around hot chicks every workout, all wearing tight stuff, isn't that bad neither.

Still, the rahbdo got me worried a bit. Can somebody elaborate?

Last edited:
I'm pretty much convinced, that 90% of the 'regular' CF dudes are only there to strut around topless and bang CF chicks. I'm willing to bet they turn their sexual endeavours into a WOD for time, first to finish get's 2 scoops of Pea Protein.

How does this get to 6 pages and nobody suspect troll with what is highlighted. I mean is he trying to spell out "functional fitness" or is that just a really coincidental statement to make. This type of statement is basically a defense of Crossfit and "what they are trying to accomplish"

He's basically describing general physical preparedness. Is that so hard to believe? People have wanted to generally be in shape, feel good, and be prepared to handle basic physical tasks a LONG time before Crossfit came around.

NoobLifter...tl/dr.

Can we all agree the only legitimate reason to crossfit is for the crossfit chicks? If I were single I would try to get a few free days at every crossfit gym in the area and just scour for chicks.

NoobLifter...tl/dr.

Can we all agree the only legitimate reason to crossfit is for the crossfit chicks? If I were single I would try to get a few free days at every crossfit gym in the area and just scour for chicks.

muhaha :icon_chee

I have been doing crossfit for two months now with my girlfriend, for me, it's perfect.

Why it's perfect is because I was able to outsource my programming. See, I suck at that. I would go on this forum and ask about SS, then about Madcow,going to my local gym trying but never really getting anywhere.

Fitness becomes boring really quickly for me. So, I went back to boxing. I like boxing, but with boxing it's even worse as one of the big arguments against crossfit. If you want to be good at crossfit, do crossfit. See, I will never ever do a match, so am I training boxing just to 'win at sparring'? It's all about conditioning, which is great and all, however, I do believe lifting weights has a slight edge on purely conditioning if you want to look a bit more like Brad pitt in Fight club (15% bodyfat would be good for me, I am around 25 now, which is purely due bad diet). Most guys in my boxing classes looked slim (except for the pro's obviously, and the african-europes, because for some reason they can eat McDonalds and still look like Arnold). For me, it's all about looking good in my cloths, or on the beach, no belly and would be happy with a 4 pack.. But, with my own programming I simply wasn't getting anywhere. With my work, girlfriend and all the things I do on the side I simply lack willpower to make it a consistent thing. The community and diversity of crossfit helps with that.

Some things in CF i find really stupid and to be honest, I avoid those lessons. I hate hand stands, if I think back about gymnastics in high school I get traumatic about it.
In our gym, we do a lot of sets for time. So for example 5 sets within 35 minutes. If you dont make it, you dont make it. We have scaled and RX and the teachers think it's more important to get trough the lesson than to up the weights. Rather a bit to low then to high. We also have beginners classes where everything is very slow paced and where they teach the fundamentals. We also have olympic lifting lessons where we focus in even more on the important lifts. The crossfit lessons are 1 hour, where most of the time only the last 30 minutes is about WODs and metcons. The rest is strength based training and things like mobility and foam rolling. The reps can be a bit crazy. Things like: 5x15 deadlifts, 5x20 boxjumps, 5x25 pull ups. Try to make it in 35 minutes. It's hard to dial back for me, because I have the mindset of don't wanting to give up and liking a good challenge. I didn't pass out or puke (yet). But I see how it could happen.

What's weird to me?
The shirts go off and the socks get pulled to the knee to make sure the pull up goes well??? wtf
They are willing to pay 500 total for the outfit they are wearing??? wtf
Seriously, you are going to buy a 50$ jump rope because it has a cool color and you seriously believe it will make you do double unders better???? wtf

The community is kind of cool. Perhaps also because it's obvious I am not the most athletic guy. It's obvious I go there to do some exercise during my workweek. The coaches are also very positive which drips down in the whole community of members.

I don't have to think about programs anymore. That's still the biggest benefit for me. I go, I see what I need to and be done with it. I train 3-4 times a week now, which is perfect for my goals. Don't need to be ripped, just don't want to much excessive bodyfat. Being around hot chicks every workout, all wearing tight stuff, isn't that bad neither.

Still, the rahbdo got me worried a bit. Can somebody elaborate?

Just google Crossfit rhabdo and you can read plenty of it. If you enjoy Crossfit, keep going. But in regards to the bold, you can get that without paying the membership to Crossfit. Just do the WOD on crossfit.com. I'm sure there are other sites that have random workouts too each day. It's not as if they are doing some magical programming with logical progression. It's mainly random. I think the hardest part is finding a gym that isn't Crossfit affiliated where it would be feasible to do a lot of the workouts.

Just google Crossfit rhabdo and you can read plenty of it. If you enjoy Crossfit, keep going. But in regards to the bold, you can get that without paying the membership to Crossfit. Just do the WOD on crossfit.com. I'm sure there are other sites that have random workouts too each day. It's not as if they are doing some magical programming with logical progression. It's mainly random. I think the hardest part is finding a gym that isn't Crossfit affiliated where it would be feasible to do a lot of the workouts.

This. In my last gym they asked me to stop deadlifting cause it might destroy the floor.

Its not magical, no. However, for me the payment of a crossfit membership isn't really that much. I like it, it's fun, I get to do some olympic lifting and run around with good looking girls and fun guys.

About the logical progression and randomness, now you are just making assumptions and are generalizing all crossfit gyms all over the world? I am sure you do not mean it like that right?

I think deadlifting at high reps is worthless.

Kipping pull-ups worthless.

Low box jumps at high repetitions, stupid.

wtf is the point of a sumo deadlift highpull?

Medicine ball cleans? Worthless.

That's just some of the movements, let alone the theory Greg Glassman built crossfit HQ around.

I honestly think most people attend a crossfit gym simply because they do your programming for you. (and for the hot chicks). If crossfit makes you feel good, and you could careless about certain things. Go for it.

You could obtain "functional strength" and a new skill if you started grappling, or training for combat sports. I can deadlift now more than I could when I trained to fight. But I don't notice any difference in moving furniture (if that's a bench mark standard).

Or you could seek out other coaches to program for you. The internet is full of ratings for good/bad coaches of all sorts. Some of the best gyms are off the beaten path..

Just my 2c

(this is the obligatory every 6 month crossfit topic)

Back