Is CrossFit for me?

Nap snap or tap

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd really appreciate real answers with a reason.

I'm 31, male, teach at a college and do not play any sport or compete in anything physical. The only exercise I get now is going jogging, swimming or canoeing a couple times a week.

I'm 6'0 185 pounds, not trying to gain weight, but okay with having a little more muscle and being more defined. I mainly want to be in shape to feel better, have more energy, and be less likely to get injured if I play a pickup basketball game, go rock climbing, move heavy furniture, etc.

I've done some group exercise classes that my school offers, and I can say that I AM a fan of structured group exercise classes. Unlike going to a gym, I know that once I walk in I'm not leaving until I finish the full workout. Yes, like most humans, I could use a bit more self-discipline.

My buddy has invited me to try CrossFit in our city. The don't do kipping pull-ups and the fee is 100$/month, which is less than what I spend on food and drinks on a typical Saturday. I would never push my body's limits if I felt it was risking injury.

Your answers will be much appreciated by a real person, thanks. -Chris

Immediate answer is no!

BUT CF has a great way of making people feel part of a community. If anything this will be an introduction to the barbell and the many great things it can accomplish in the hands of mortal humans like yourself.

I say give it a go, and report back with your findings.

Ask for a trial or pay just one month and see if you like it.

It sounds like you would be a great candidate for CrossFit since you just want to get/stay in good shape in a group atmosphere. Just make sure that you don't force yourself to do anything that will result in injury and make sure that the instructors are capable of teaching you proper form.

People like to crap on Crossfit here, but I think it's a good fit for a lot of people. The community aspect, structured workouts, and variety of exercises are good for people who are trying to make lifestyle changes. I know plenty of people who tried jogging and going to the gym and doing things on their own and never got anywhere until they joined a CF gym. Once they've done it for a while, they start to develop more concrete goals for their fitness and create training plans to meet those goals, whether or not they involve continuing CF. If you've tried other things to get in shape and never got any to stick, its worth checking out.

Ideally, you'd create some defined goals, then follow a program specific to those goals. Based on what you've written, something like a basic strength program along with a bit more planning of the conditioning work you're already doing.

But if that's something you're not realistically going to do, and you won't do anything you feel has too much risk of injury, then being active through crossfit would be better than not being active at all. And who knows, you might actually find something you really enjoy, like the olympic lifts, and decide to focus on that, instead of crossfit.

Unless your goal is to be good as Crossfit, Crossfit is not the best way to get to your goal.

But if you just want something inclusive to do, don't mind the cost, and can tolerate the occasional (or very frequent) zealot, then it's better than nothing.

Just be aware that gym and coaching quality vary drastically with Crossfit

I have a very negative opinion on CF. It has middle aged non-athletes doing lifts that some people train their whole lives to perform. Every person I know who does crossfit has a face book post that goes like this. "I cant wait till my ACL heals so I can get back to doing Cross fit."

If working out solo is not your thing and you like being part of a group then yes, why not give it a go. Do they tie you in to a long term contract? If not, you don't really have too much to lose.

If you want 'general fitness' in a group community then by all means go for it, do what you want. Just remember, when you sign your name on the dotted line, be sure to purchase all their merchandise, eat Paleo, wear a sweat band and take your top off half way through a Kipping pull-up, tyre flip, 300m bear crawl, 70 burpees WOD for time and high five your newly found chums and post a facebook status about how hard you 'work out'.

Just kidding.

I really enjoyed my time in crossfit. If you luck out and have a good coach then a lot of the injury worries go away. Just don't push yourself too hard, rhabdo is a serious concern. I'd also keep an eye on wods and skip the days you don't feel comfortable with

Are you going to bang any hot crossfit babes tho

I'd really appreciate real answers with a reason.

sorry, i'm not qualified to give real answers.

I mainly want to be in shape to feel better, have more energy, and be less likely to get injured if I play a pickup basketball game, go rock climbing, move heavy furniture, etc.

well, i suppose you are less likely to get injured doing those things if you cannot do them because of the injuries you got doing crossfit.

I would never push my body's limits if I felt it was risking injury.

yeah, but group activities like this (and especially crossfit) are designed around peer pressure. Peer pressure is what keeps you showing up. Peer pressure is also what makes you put too much weight on the bar and try to do maximum volume snatches on a timer.

If the group dynamic will help you stick with the workout, it'll also help convince you to do the workout even when the workout is likely to cause injury.

I kind-of view crossfit as the scientology of the fitness world.

Crossfit = lots of hot girls. So I say sign up.

Just be aware that gym and coaching quality vary drastically with Crossfit

This is the biggest thing with CrossFit. Each gym is autonomous, they just pay a fee to use the name and be affiliated with CrossFit, Inc. If you find a good gym, with good, structured programming and coaching as well as ideally open gym times, and not some horrible clusterfuck run by a dude who saw Fran on YouTube and thinks that a conditioning workout is perfect for strength development, then all well and good.

I have a very negative opinion on CF. It has middle aged non-athletes doing lifts that some people train their whole lives to perform. Every person I know who does crossfit has a face book post that goes like this. "I cant wait till my ACL heals so I can get back to doing Cross fit."

If you train your "whole life" to be able to do a basic barbell lift or bodyweight exercise with good/safe technique, chances are you haven't had good coaching. Unless, of course, CrossFitters have started doing giant swings on still rings as part of their metcons.

The risk inherent in doing CrossFit depends entirely on the gym you do it at, or the coach you do it under. Proper progression and sensible programming will ensure you minimise your risk, the same as in any sport or other physical activity.

Crossfit sucks so bad that even Crossfit athletes don't use it. That should tell you all you need to know.

If you want structure, don't do crossfit. It lacks structure and planned progression. There are literally dozens of FREE programs out there with guaranteed results.

Don't fall for the marketing scheme of Crossfit. It's not worth a hundred bucks a month to do unplanned cross training.

1. 5x5
2. Bulk
3. Cut
4.???
5. Profit?

You can't go wrong with a 5 by X program be it 5x5, 5x3, or 5x1 ramped. In my opinion time in the gym should be solely for strength and power development.

Cardio and muscular endurance are really sport specific and can be easily accomplished in training.

Back